1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

This really makes me mad

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mossman381, Dec 23, 2009.

1. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

Today I went to look at a truck that I wanted to buy. It was on craigslist and the ad said $1000 OBO. This truck does not run and the owner has no idea what is wrong. It also has 160,000 with all original drivetrain. I go to look at the truck and give the guy an offer. I look the truck over and the owner tells me what he thinks is wrong with the truck. I ask him what the best offer he has gotten. He says none. I ask him if he has gotten alot of calls. He says I am the only one so far. I get ready to give him an offer and now the price is $1000 firm. So basicly this guy just wasted my time and his time. I gave him an offer anyways and he said no. I couldn't figure out why in the ad he said OBO then when I get there the price is firm. I am pretty sure that when I pulled up in my new 08 chevy truck, that is when the price went to $1000 firm. That guy can keep his truck as far as I am concerned. This kind of stuff really makes me mad.

2. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

Ya you would figure he did his homework with the price, It dont make sense to me. Not everybody wants a truck that needs work. Just keep a eye on it and offer him less if it sit there for a while

3. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

i hear ya i was trying to sell some tires on craigslist had them listed at 200 FIRM. a guy comes up really interested and asks whats the bottom dollar and i say 200 firm just like my ad and the guy says well i don't want to pay that so ill pass? im like wtf? my ad said 200 firm and you think your going to take them for 100 bucks? some people :dizzy:

4. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

I have had the same thing happen with me selling some rims. I had on the ad I was firm on price and I had 3 people come and look at them and then offered me less.

5. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

I had to stop putting "will entertain REASONABLE offers" on any of my ads because apparently everyones definition of reasonable is 1/2 of what I'm asking. Or when you selling something that is a name brand well made piece of equipment and people say well I can get so and so off brand pos new for what you're asking. Well then DO IT and stop wasting my F*cking time! rant over lol.

6. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Sold a Jimmy 4x4 the other day... high miles (low on upgraded engine and rebuilt tranny), some rust... asking $850obo. Had some ****** emailing me daily about how its only good for scrap so I should take his $100 offer. Told him to beat it. Sold it for $700 cash, but also had offers in the $500+ range... didn't even phase this guy. Neither did telling him I knew scrap tin was going for $125 a ton today and the truck weighs almost two... so I would junk it myself if thats what I wanted... nope just kept emailing me. Maybe I'll send him a followup message tonight just to harrass him for a few days? lol

7. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

That reason why my Uncle don't use his vehicles to see sellers. He use our F250 or Bronco for that so seller see our old rusty F250 or bronco that why they don't raise price.

Have 1 time when he drive in Lincoln and seller change mind and say no offer just firm on price.

It really pita when they try offer low than I am ask. They think they can get good ford 460 that have 50,000 miles they try offer $200 I say NO and hold 460 for 3 months until guy offer $300.

8. pensty

pensty Junior Member

This reminds me of a funny story about asking prices......buddy is having a garage sale, and one of the items is some sort of home electronic device (a stereo receiver or something, can't recall) that was barely used, and worth something like 300 bones new. He was asking 30 bucks, and some clown offers him a fiver for it. Buddy says "Five bucks, eh? The thing is almost new, worth 300 and I only want 30.....it's a great deal already!"
    The chiseling garage saler isn't fazed and makes his final offer, "five bucks."

Buddy picks up the item, hurls it to the ground and all there is left is busted up parts. He looks at the customer and says "there's what I think of your offer!"

Darn near pissed myself when he told me!

9. derekbroerse

LMAO... here's what you get for $5!!!!

10. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

can you blame them really.. just trying to see if youlll budge on your price

11. derekbroerse

I can blame them for it. I used to sell a LOT of stuff in the local ads, not anymore. Why? Because I have to sit and wait for them to show up (or not), then listen to them make stupid lowball offers on something that was listed with a firm price or a very reasonable obo. I guess weaker people cave in.

Got a guy at work that is real proud of himself. Bought a 1995 2500 4x4 ext cab in good shape off a widow because it was her husbands and she didn't want to see it anymore. Was asking $3000. He offered $500. Some people have no morals. Can you imagine someone doing that to YOUR grandmother?

12. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I've gotten pretty good on the other side of this, but you have to be patient. Was running an ad for a Fisher wide A-frame needed. Guy calls me up, says yeah, I got what you need. Confirm it's a 3/4 ton chevy, yup sure is. Basically the deal was to buy the whole Speedcast setup for $125. I get there and sure enough it's a half ton. Anyway, he says, why don't you take the whole truck, I just need to pull the motor. No problem I said. Hauled the truck off. Tore it down. Sold the axles for $150. Trans for $200. Blade and headgear for $150. Scrapped the body for $100. Tires for $50. Kept the frame for another project down the road. Kept the Fisher push plates which are worth big money around here. Good Fisher belt drive pump and valve body. The key is to deal with someone that doesn't know what stuff is worth.