1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

This new guy needs some help

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by countrybiggen, Sep 12, 2012.

1. countrybiggen

countrybiggen Junior Member

I found the plow that I want to run. I plan on running it on my 2010 2500 Dodge with the Hemi
    4 door Long bed. I just need to know what brackets/ mounts I need for my truck. The guy I am buying it from says its a uni mount but everything Im getting back is saying its a ultra mount.

OR

Should I just fab up my own brackets ?

Thanks for all of your advice in advance

COUNTRY BIGGEN ussmileyflag

PLOW.jpg

PLOW2.jpg

PLOW3.jpg

PLOW4.jpg

2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

That is a uni-mount. I don't believe you can still buy them new. You either have to buy Ultra mount brackets and then buy the adapter or make a mount.

3. countrybiggen

Wow cet .... Your horrible and giving bad news .... Butthead lol

4. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

No point sugar coating it. :p

5. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

It might be easier to find an old mount. Cut the front part off that you need and then make the rest of it to fit your truck. What about all the wiring, I bet it doesn't work either, I figure I might as well keep going with the bad news.

6. countrybiggen

Yes very true and thank.you for letting me know. So would I just go to the Western dealer ANC let him know what I need

7. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

That's a really, really old version of the unimount. I have a unimount, and I love it, but it has the electric isarmatic pump on it, and it's a much better setup than that old style horizontal gizmo you have there.

If you want a unimount, this is the pump you want, as it's much more reliable.... and easier to get parts for.

http://www.plowpartsdirect.com/west...t/snow-plow-parts/western-isarmatic-pump.html

Keep searching as there are plenty of good plows USED out there. You'd actually be better off with a ultramount, as more parts are out there for your truck.

8. countrybiggen

well wow that pump alone is $2,000 .... Im only looking at paying a 1,000 for this plow set up

9. countrybiggen

I got a meyer with everything I need except those brackets.... I was warned by the parts guy i shouldnt dare thinking about building my own brackets because the newer frames are ment to colapse when in a accident and with a plow there they are known to snap

10. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

If it was me I wouldn't put such an old plow on such a new truck.

Break downs in the middle of a snowfall isn't good for anyone, especially the customer.

11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Then you need to pony up the money to make it work. Not a good choice for a new truck it was designed for a previous generation of vehicles.

That unit is at least 18/20 years old and was a pain when it was new. Have you seen it work? do the rams move freely and are they free of pits, rust and flaking chrome?

Is the center hinge free or frozen in place.

You will need somewhere around a grand to buy the parts you need to mount it to the truck and for the control/light harnesses, possibly even having to replace the lights with the newer system or at least change the harness on the existing plow.

Don't shortcut the electrical or you will be spending even more to repair your truck's computer and electrical systems.

Plus you'll need whatever parts the plow itself needs to be reliable.

12. Jim@esitrucks

Jim@esitrucks Inactive

More like 1500+ at least from what I am seeing....I would stay away from it at all costs unless its free

13. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

There's the right price, both for the parts and the plowThumbs Up

14. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

True, if you wanted to buy a new pump.

My point was, not to buy that pump, but to show you visually what would be a better product to be "searching for". Nothing more.

I agree with everyone else here in that you're wasting your time with that plow unless you got it for free....And even then, I'd be wary of it. It needs a full rebuild, and you might not be able to purchase the truckside. That plow setup is outdated and inefficient

Again... Plenty of used "Application ready" plows out there. Keep searching.

15. Andrew010

Andrew010 Senior Member

You NEED to get an UltraMount, period!

Your truck is too new to run an old worn out uni-mount pos.

16. countrybiggen

Well I went to our local Western plow dealer and looked at the MVP PLUS. But the daler was letting me know that they are going to be phasing these outs and that sucks because I really wanted to run this system. But then I asked which plow system that they have now which will be around the longest. So he asked me the same exact question .... So I looked at all the plows and gave him my answer .... The wide out. Now I know they are pricy but if I can close on these two accounts then I could buy it now and still have money left over.

17. DIRISHMAN

DIRISHMAN PlowSite Veteran

Well Country sounds good get some pics of the New Big Boy.

Anyway was that other plow in the pics LOCATED IN BATH ,Mich?????

18. countrybiggen

Bath,mi. ???

19. IC-Smoke

IC-Smoke Senior Member

2010 truck and that pile? just get a new blade! Thumbs Up

20. countrybiggen

I'm lost smoke