1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

This morning was going way to well....

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by zerolatency, Feb 10, 2010.

1. zerolatency

zerolatency Member

Just about to finish my first account, only had the back storage area left to clear when i decided it would be a good time to slide backward into the overhead door....... surely this has happened to at least a couple of us before? How much did it cost to get it fixed....I knocked about 5' of it off the track (it was one of the steel roll-up type) talked to the plant manager first thing this morning, they called an overhead door company but i haven't gotten word on the bill yet.... hopefully at worst a bust for the morning?
  2. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

I started off my morning by backing into a flemsy quaker state sign that proceeded to wrap around my tire and wheel and go threw my sidewall.. My spare is in the back of my excursion which mean the spreader has to be removed to get it out and i was 40 miles from our shop and the reat of the crews... Thank god my cousin plows and lives on that side of town, who else can you call at 2:30am
  3. alsam116

alsam116 Senior Member

sorry top hear you had a bad day derric...i saw you(i think) plowing toyota about noon in the ex..waced and blew horn ..again sorry to hear about tire, when i load with salt im afraid mine are gonin to blow out, o well time for new anyways haha

.S. now in the morning im gonna jynk myself, i really really hope not... dont have the $$$ for that yet
  4. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

tell them it was an act of god, the EARTHQUAKE cause it.....
  5. allcraftsmen

allcraftsmen Junior Member

I know how you feel. 2 hours into the plow on Monday morning I sucked a buried rock into the snow blower then proceeded to back my truck into a 4' retaining wall. Needless to say it was a bad day. On the bright side it was the first time I backed into anything in 10 years of plowing so I got that out of the way hopefully for 10 more years. I'm just glad it wasn't a person or another car.
  6. tattood_1

tattood_1 Member

I blew trans cooler line, pumped fluid all over customer concrete right in front of door. Couldn't get a tow truck to hook it back to garage because of plow and salt spreader, so I had my dad pull be 2 miles with strap through 6" of snow. Can we say fun? Oh this was my first lot of a very long day.
  7. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Been there, done that is all I can say.
  8. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds like everyone had their share of mishaps today. I was pushing with the 9' Western hit a large crack and snapped the a-frame into 2 separate pieces 6" before the pivot pin. The only thing that connected the moldboard to the tractor was the angle cylinders. Have some cutting, grinding, and welding to do tomorrow.
  9. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

An older f350 srw was getting loaded with salt the other morning, the loader operate dumped a bucket full of salt into the vbox and broke the rear frame. Frame looked in good shape except this one spot and sure enough the bumper was on the ground.

Sh*t happens
  10. theguynextdoor

theguynextdoor Senior Member

Been there done that. Had it fixed the next day. Cost was 800 bucks. It was a double wide residential door. Lucky I didn't hit the 2 lexus cars in the garage. I was going up the driveway and slid with my foot on the brake from the street to the door. The driveway was an ice rink.

I would never use a SRW truck to haul around a loaded V-box all year. You need a dually for that in my opinion. Even if you are legal, its a lot of weight.
  11. zerolatency

zerolatency Member

Interesting to hear how everyone elses morning went to ****.... how do we make money again.....? I hope it doesn't cost me 800 to get it fixed but it wouldn't be the end of the world.... i wonder if the insurance company would believe the earthquake made me do it?
  12. dalejr_fan112

dalejr_fan112 Junior Member

I was out riding shotgun with my dad Wednesday. we started at 3am and everything was going great til about 1130, we left a driveway and headed into town and the truck was pulling hard to the left....... stopped to check it and we had a flat left front tire......... luckily we were only 2 blocks from his shop, limped it back and got the spare. never did figure out how it happend, ruined a good day of plowing real quick
  13. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

Besides major failures, falt tires have to be the worst problem out during a storm. Crawling under the truck to dig out the spare, usually snowing like a banshee, have to kneel in wet snow to change out, etc. etc.
    PS: been there done that:(
  14. hndswthtshdws

hndswthtshdws Junior Member
    from Canada

Does noone else drop the plow when they slide?
  15. GreenManEnvy

GreenManEnvy Senior Member

That's how I spent my afternoon. Go up the hill, drop the plow in scoop position and control the trip back down until I get to the sunny part, and hope that I get a bit more ice off that hill each time.

I have got to get new tires... and the automatic chain system got whacked by some ice so it's out of commission again... just got it fixed after a boulder took it last April.

Other damage yesterday and today was cosmetic: some of the vinyl lettering was scraped off by snow banks, the passenger side running board is damaged on the outer edge, and I popped off a rear marker light.