1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

This might help you

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by flakesmeangreen, Feb 23, 2003.

1. flakesmeangreen

flakesmeangreen Senior Member

I like to keep a detailed log of when I plowed what customer and how long it took me. I'm sure many of you so this also. What I wanted to share with you was how I do it.

At first I printed out my log and was writing everything down as I did it. This became time consuming, very illegible and potentially dangerous (writing while driving). I now use a digital voice recorder (a tape one would work fine too). You know, those little "note-to-self" things. I hang it off of my visor and record all of my start & stop times along with other notes such as snowfall accumulations, mileage, gas usage, etc. At the end of the storm I transcribe all the numbers and notes onto my log.

Finally got to transcribe Mondays storm today and it really helped "remind" me of what I did. I can't remember anything after so many hours in the truck. Plowing my entire route 3 times within 2 days sure gets confusing.

Hope this helps you.

-Tim

2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Good idea Tim, I useuallt jot it down on a notebook,and transfer it after.When im in a rush,somtimes i cant read my own writing afterwards:rolleyes: .Ill have to pick one up.

3. gslam88

gslam88 Senior Member

I have a route sheet that I have done in Excel with the name address phone and any additional info on that account that is pertinant. I have the bottom for any add on customer while I am out, this way I know in a long storm how many times I have plowed the cusotmer. I usually just stop after finishing up and mark them down..... I also keep the sheet so that if anyone ask how many times or what dates I plowed I have it. I also have a colum for how much I charge

Position Customer Phone Address Rate Notes

This way I have a paper back up copy for billing.

Pete

4. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

I got this idea from Chuck Smith last year but finally bought one this season. And it has been an incredible time saver. Many times there isn't time to stop & take notes, or like already mentioned, you can't read what you wrote, your writing & driving, etc., etc. I still have the log sheets with me, but since getting the recorder its all in there, times, conditions, temps, what we did etc. etc. After transferring between 3 vehicles during a 5 day week of snow operations, I know I have everything recorded that was required, as there were times I ended up in one truck or the machine here & there with no paperwork on me. Probably the biggest improvement to my snow operations since installing urethane.

5. gslam88

gslam88 Senior Member

BRL,

So you are recording time, weather, conditions of the site... is this more for commercial or residential... and more for a lot of cya?? Is it used for billing or just record keeping??

Pete

6. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Pete, I have been recording time,date conditons,both weather,and lot conditions.For residentals i also record # of cars in driveway,if any.In commercial lots ,I write down anythign that isnt as it should be.I cant tell you how many tiems there are trailers blockign my designated stacking areas,or cars parked where in no parkign zones,:realmad: . I note this,and talk to the manager about it later on,since this affects the time it takes to do a job.Its a PITA to write all this down,and my log book gets full quickly with scribble and it takes hrs after a storm to transfer it to the final log.

7. ProSno

ProSno Senior Member

Tim, I think that is a great idea. Most times I'm so busy that I write things down on my break, and then your trying to remember what I did where. If I had a small recorder I definitely could talk into it while I'm doing the job or driving to the next one. I'm getting one Monday.

8. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

Gslam88,
    I don't do residential with the exception of any neighbors not done when I get done. Although this storm was an exception. I used the back hoe to do many residentials because you just couldn't get trucks into many with the 4-6 ft of town plowed stuff at the ends. Anyway the info is kept for billing, record keeping & CYA. Plus anything & everything else that comes up like what John mentions in his post. I can't remember everything that I see & that happens, so it gets written down. Also take tons of pictures to show that we did do what we said we did, and to show that conditions warranted it. Often times the owner or manager of a site may not arrive until 9:00 or 10:00 AM after we, and the town have already treated icy conditions, so they may not even know there was a dangerous situation early that morning. Also have jobs where the owners or managers aren't even at the sites ever, so maybe in their town things were OK on January 10th, but at their building there was an inch of snow on top of a layer of ice maybe.

9. flakesmeangreen

flakesmeangreen Senior Member

It was also kind of funny this last storm to hear how many times I said "there's no more room for snow here". I also ran out of room on the recorder for the first time (30 minute capacity) since everyone got plowed 3 times and I didn't have the time to transcribe until the weekend.

-Tim

10. ProSno

ProSno Senior Member

Tim I bought a small fit in your pocket digital recorder for $39.00 and its the best thing I have done this year. Now I say all the details into the mike, come home and write in my log everything I did. Now all the little details I would normally leave out cause I"m tired of writing or dont have time I write in my log when I'm rested. Great idea.