1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

This may be a stupid question

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by dieselguy5245, Apr 22, 2011.

1. dieselguy5245

dieselguy5245 Senior Member
    from mass.

Well are western plows like fishers as in you can take off your plow and hook up to say your friends fisher thats a completely different plow or can you only hook up to the plow that came or was put one the truck?

2. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

You can hookup to another plow as long as it is the same style like a ultramount or unimount. Also the wiring must be the same like 2 plug or 3 plug. You can still hook it up and chain it to move it though.

3. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

fisher and westerns are not interchangable. they have different mounting systems. the wiring may be the same for example the xls/wideout and the exv/mvp plows.

4. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

I thought he was saying that fishers can hookup to other fishers so can westerns hookup to other westerns?

5. BlueWing

BlueWing Member

Yes, you can take a One Western Plow off one truck and use another truck with a Western mount to use it. AS LONG as it is the same style mount AND your not trying to mount a WideOut or MVP to a straight blade truck mount. OR vice-verse.
    What I am saying is that you can take a straight blade off one truck and move it to another Western truck with no problems.
    With a MVP or WideOut you have signals traveling down and back so I can NOT say if that would work.

6. dieselguy5245

from mass.

ik that the xls's and V's you cant mount unless you have the wiring for them i was just talking bout straight blade's in general

7. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Gotcha. I misread the post.

8. dieselguy5245

from mass.

No worries man

9. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Any ultra-mount will mount to a truck with the ultra-mount reciever but there is more to it than just the electrical hookup. I have an F550 rigged up to recieve ANY ultra-mount but I have two power cables, three control cables and a headlamp cable. My truck is setup to pickup and move plows for delivery, recovery and troubleshooting but I can't plow with someone elses plow unless I configure it for the proper elevation. Ultra-mounts have four options for elevation (hight of the truck) and it must be set so that the A-frame of the plow is parallel to the ground. So if I pick up a plow that came off a very low Chevy and put it on my relatively high Ford it will be difficult to get on the first time and it would not be recommended to use like that. Reconfigureing only takes about 45 minutes if you have the tools, skill and knowledge but it's not very practical.

As far as the wiring goes most straight blade ultra-mounts have the same three cable system. Battery power from the relay, control power and then the light plug. Some older ultra-mounts have only two cables because the controls and lights are combined into one plug. Then there is the HTS which is also two cables but it is a multiplex system. That means that the control signals are like radio frequencies. Each function has a unique frequency that is encoded and sent down a single wire and then decoded by the plow control box. On the HTS the power cable is directly connected to the battery and the motor relay is on the plow; the power cable on the HTS also has a small connector / wire that carries the control signal. The second cable is only for the lights.

So, to sum things up.... You can physically mount any ultra-mount plow to any ultra-mount vehicle but you can't expect the electrical to work. If the number of plugs are the same and they are the correct gender and pin configuration it might work but you have to make sure the elevation is correct.

Note that there are two ultra-mount V plow types, regular MVP and the MVP plus, they have different plugs because the plus is multiplexed (two cables) while the regular MVP has a wire for every function. Also know that the wide-out and the MVP Plus are cross compatible because they are both two cable multiplex systems and use the same controller too.

Hope that helps.