1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

this lot

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by kramer56, Sep 4, 2010.

1. kramer56

kramer56 Senior Member

how long would this lot take with a pickup or a back hoe w 12' blade? any idea what one would charge a person to do this

parking lot.jpg

Last edited: Sep 4, 2010
  2. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

measure it out and see how many acres it is then multiply it by the how much you charge per acre and there is your price. Simple. Plus you have no picture.

3. kramer56

kramer56 Senior Member

What do most charge per acre on mostly flat clear surfaces? its around 5-5.6 acres if i did it right lol. kinda new to google earth. I just dont have much experience figureing these kind of lots. thanks guys

4. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

there's no way the parking lot is 5 to 6 acres. The whole property might be, but not just the lot.

About 3 hours with a pickup, 2-6" of snow

5. kramer56

kramer56 Senior Member

LOL like i said i most likely screwed up somewhere. so ok then how would ya come up w a per acre dollar amount? I been lookin into this for awhile but have stayed with the smaller 15-30 minute lots lol. a few ppl have asked me to give them a number so i decided to use that pic for a reference. pms r welcome lol

6. Weeded!

Weeded! Member

lot size is...

This lot with driving lanes around the perimeter and back loading lanes is about 380,000 ft, or about 8.5 acres.

7. kramer56

kramer56 Senior Member

thanks weeded!

So def gonna need a backhoe w/pushblade huh. lol

Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
  8. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

Figure your costs, into what you'll need to make an hour, find how many acres you can do per hour, and there you have it.

9. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

I agree... but also check for the bid specs...chances are a National has this and can email them too you....can it be done with a pu?...sure... but what do the bid specs state have to be done and in what time frame?...... chances are your going to need a loader with push box of some sort for that place..... please tell me you have a v box spreader and not a tail gate? For the $ they pay you will loss money if your using bagged product.....

And on a side note, no ones going to tell you what to charge .....

Do a search and you'll find some usefull info about pricing Lowes.....:rolleyes:

Good Luck!

10. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

common kramer your no rookie to the site, you know those with the experience are not going to give it up...

looking at google map may help you but if your really going to bid, go there and scout. do they have specific places the snow has to go? if that is lowes don't you have to submit a bid to a national account management firm.

we use backhoes with 14' scoops on our medium size properties, then you clean up with the truck you drove to the site with.

when I was just starting out into commercial something that would help me was I would picture a lot that I did, with an average known time to plow, then I would figure how many of that known lot would fit inside the big lot you are bidding. if your lots take 30 minutes, and 5 of them fit inside your big lot then you can expect it to take about 2 1/2 hours to complete, less if its open, more if it has lots of islands or few places to put snow.

11. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

thats a big lot, hope you have more than just a pickup

12. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

With a fleet of 28" snow blowers....20hrs with a full sized p/u....way too long and with a loader with a 45ft push box.....20 minutes.

13. hoskm01

hoskm01 Senior Member
    from AZ

$17 per square foot.

14. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Wow everyone on this site had become less and less helpful each year........ bummer.

You guys all b**** about people lowballing but then when someone comes on and asks for help you won't offer any. I imagine most of the time this leads to someone putting in a low ball bid (probably unintentionally) and then you all just b**** more.

15. Weeded!

Weeded! Member

Is a backhoe with a 14 foot blade faster at clearing snow than a strong skid steer with a 10 foot box? Seems the maneuverability (and safety) of the skid can get more done. I have run backhoes (without push box) pushing snow, and they seem snow and clunky.

16. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

Agreed, however, all the info is already here to figure this stuff out. I well even say that at one point I did a extensive post on figuring out your rates, and expected performance on equipment. I would feel more for the original poster if he had presented his thoughts and estimations first, then we can help him fine tune his own plans for this lot.

17. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Good points. Fair enough!

18. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

A 4wd backhoe will make the skid look silly in big lots as most times big lots have designated areas for snow and you can't plow both ways.

19. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

There's parking for over 700 cars. I think you better take a better look at the pic. I would guess 3 hours on anything under 4" with a 12 ft pusher pushing the snow to the far end.

20. Weeded!

Weeded! Member

Would you mind elaborating on the backhoe vs skid for me?

Here's my impression:
    Backhoe: Pushing power but poor maneuverability and dangerous arm hanging in back.
    Skid steer: Less pushing power but great maneuverability and quickness.

I have to make this decision this year on some lots.
    Thanks.