1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

This looks like an intresting product.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Got Grass?, Dec 6, 2002.

1. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

2. Sno

Sno Senior Member

Good Lord,,,, 299.00 ??
  3. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

I never said it was a good price lol. Just an intresting concept.
    We have seen the heated wiper blades but never heated fluid. I bet thay would would quite well together.

Just something I stumbled upon whole browsing.
  4. Sno

Sno Senior Member

Makes me wonder how some extra tubing and a coil or two around a radiator hose would work.....

5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I've got $300 laying around here somewhere:rolleyes: .

Trying to think of the mechanics of it. You'd want to be able to spray it without running your windshield wiper or you'd be defeating the purpose. And you'd want it to cover the whole windshield. Might work on ice if you started a place for it to work under, but I don't think it'd work too well on snow buildup.
  6. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Makes me wonder what happens when hot fluid hits cold glass.
  7. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

For $299 i'll go buy a Playstation 2 and play that for a half hour while my truck is running with the heater on high.:drinkup:

On a serious note... I ordered my truck with a rear window defroster and heated mirrors. best option i ever bought.
  8. Randy Scott

Randy Scott Senior Member

Exactly! :D
  9. kawdude

kawdude Senior Member

for 299, i'll sit on my aXX with cash in my pocket and send one of the kids out to start the truck :D
  10. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

Ok, now that we have the price issue settled. What do we think about the concept of heating the fluid?
    I'd never concider purchasing one at that crazy price, at $30 I might.. But the concept of heating the fluid to help melt the ice/snow is quite intresting. We wouldnt have to worry about the right type of fluid to buy & hope it works.
    I can see the concept making it's way into the real world on thoes high prices cars in the future along with the heaetd blades.
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2002
  11. EIB

EIB Senior Member

Has anybody used the heated blades?
  12. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

I looked at the heated blades.. still cant decide. I always thought that some type of heated strip at the bottom of the windshield would work great. On all our trucks, the defroster keeps the windshield clear of ice, then it refreezes at the bottom, causing a bigger and bigger glob of ice. I've looked hi and low for something like this... no one makes it. Hey, sounds like a marketing idea... OK everyone forget it! I've got to run to the patent office!:waving:
  13. staley52

staley52 Member
    from Iowa

for the ice on the bottom of the windshield get a add on rear window defroster kit and install 6" or so along the bottom of the windshield
  14. finnegan

finnegan Senior Member

old news

i made a heat exchanger that ive been using in my trucks since 1990 ,all you do is wrap 1/4 in. tubing around a foot long piece of copper pipe and put it inline with your heater hose ,then cut your wiper hose and extend it to fit the heat exchanger -then wrap the whole unit in a piece of pipe insulation,it works great -especially if you have a remote starter in that truck
  15. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

The company that makes the kit JCW sells, contacted me last year, wanting me to put a link to them on my web site. When they told me the price, I didn't think it was worth it. I also thought along the same lines as Alan, hot liquid+cold glass=?

16. Sno

Sno Senior Member

I've seen them break just from warm air from the defroster in sub zero temperatures.

I'll sit by the fire and wait too.

17. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

For a few more bucks!!!

I could just get a tv installed in my truck, and Then I can watch the local weather guessers be wrong whiles Im out plowing the storm they didnt predict or Im out sitting in my truck waiting for the storm they predicted that never showed.:D
  18. Dockboy

Dockboy Guest

You mean like this:D

19. MLB

MLB Senior Member

How's that work

in the real world Dockboy? Can they hold a station to be able to listen as you drive or just when stopped?
  20. Dockboy

Dockboy Guest

It depends on allot of factors.

First, you must have a TV tuner with a Diversity Antenna. They work much better than rabbit ears or those boomarang looking things. Plus when they are installed, you can't really see them.

Second, the closer you are to the transmitting location the steadier the picture. What I have found is you really must be within 30 miles of the transmitter for it to work well while moving.

Third, the terrain has allot to do with it also. The higher the better, or the flatter the better. When I am out at Indy for the F1 race, we can drive all around Indianapolis with a great picture. It is flat as a pancake out there!:rolleyes:

Unfortunately, I live directly inbetween Phila. and Baltimore. Around here, I really must be stopped and in a high spot for it to work well. But, if I drive 20 min. in either direction, it gets better.