1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

This is what we are going through this year

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ECS, Feb 9, 2008.

1. ECS

ECS Senior Member

I have been here since 1989, been plowing here since 1998, and this is the hardest winter since I have been here. Others that have been here most of their lives do not remember a winter like this. Now some on here like Burkartsplow and Camden thinkk that I should just deal with it. Yes it is my choice to live hewre, it is also my choice to do snow, well I am dealing with it and I am raking in the money, more than I have ever doing snow. Am I tired of it, yepper, sure am. It is like living in the movie Groundhog Day. I wake up and there is snow, drifts and plowing, I go to bed and wake up and there is snow, drifts and plowing. Everday I wake up to the same thing, only everyday it is more drifts and more winds, more roads closed, more whiteout conditions. Several town & county rigs are broke down from all the stress and work this winter. Several of the big companies that are contracted for subdivisions and the county have their equipment down (loaders, rotars, scrapers, dumps) from the stress and workout this winter. The airport is closed for half a day nearly every day from the winds, snow and drifts. The roads to homes are closed and people can not even get home at night. The gas staions are running out of gas due to deliveries not getting in with roads closed. A friend had to go to 4 different gas staions tody to find one that isn't out of gas. UPS & FedEx trucks stuck in drifts all day before they can get out. One road where I have 3 drives couold not be done with one of the big dumptruck with a plow and chained up. This morning, after no snow last night, just wind, took the same truck and a loader with a rotar on it nearly 5 hours to clear, a 2 1/2 mile road. The rotary loader driver was nice enough to help me out clearing a path into one drive I do which was socked in with nearly 4 feet of heavy drifted snow.

Burkartsplow, yes this is my choice, and yes we do get more than Cleveland's 61 year average of 56.9 inches of snow a year, but this is an exceptional year, I am tired, my truck is tired and it is more than what anyone here has experienced in the past 20 plus years. Am I complaining, well maybe, it is a bit over whelming to be honest with you. You can brag all you want about plowing 30-40 hours straight all you want, but the reality of it is this, it is a completly diffent form of plowing than you could ever imagine.

Camden, doing snow all the time isn't the problem, doing snow all the time under these conditions is a problem. It is not just a problem with me, but with everyone here trying to deal with it.

Plowing is easy to do under normal circumstances. Trying to plow when you can not even find the driveways because you can not even see or find the roads to drive on. I called to be put on the list for another driveway this morning, and the company I called was still trying to get to their list of 200 regular customers. They have several loaders, a rotarary on a loader which is 6' high and 8 feet wide, a road srcaper with wings, several large trucks with plows, several pickups with plows, and several skid sterrs with blowers. They were down two drivers because the drivers can not even get here because the roads are closed. School busses stuck in the drifts on Wednesday & Thursday. Avalanches and slides coming on the roads on a daily basis. Roofs hae up to 6 feet of wind blown drifted snow on them that needs to be shoveled off yet, decks have 4 - 6 feet of snow on them that need to be shoveled before they collapse. This is all done after a day of fighting the winds, snow and drifts. So if you think I am complaining about too much snow, well I am, and I will go out and fight the drifts and snow everyday until I can not get any more diesel to allow me to continue.
  2. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing Senior Member

Keep on truckin ECS just think when this winter is over you can take a vaction...sit on the beach and :drinkup: all day with all the cash your making:cool: good luck.
  3. ECS

ECS Senior Member

LOL, I wish. When the white is gone the green is growing and it is time for lawns. I like your idea of sitting on a beach and :drinkup: all day though. :)
  4. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

sit in your backyard and :drinkup: all day
  5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Don't listen to the peanut gallery ECS very few of them now what big snow is or how much work it really is.

Keep pushingwesport.....:drinkup:
  6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Ditto. Keep it up bud. Makes our winter look pretty wimpy.
  7. TL697

TL697 Senior Member

I'm not that busy right now...

If you need help, let me know. I'm a tad bit south of you, but I don't mind a little travel...
  8. ECS

ECS Senior Member

Woke up thismorning to a brand new day. No new snow, no wind, no drifts. We can finally see the tops of the mountains. It is a good day. It is a day to relax and enjoy a bit of R&R. Today is mine, it is for me and no one can take it away. Today is for me and not my customers. I will enjoy today and rest, for tomorrow will be different. Tomorrow will be a work day, either pushing or shoveling for sure. If the weather report is true, I will be out plowing again. If the weather report is not true, we have to deal with 5-6 feet of snow on the roof of a property we take care of. It is all weather dependant. I am hoping for the latter as there is a big crew coming to do the roof. There is now a cornice overhaning from the roof that is about the size of a truck. The wall under the cornice is all glass. The windows will need to be covered with plywood before they start. The hot tub will also need to be covered with plywood. When thousand pound chunks of snow hit the deck from 20 feet up, you can feel the deck shake under the pressure. I will help with the clean up, but my job is to be there and supervise them. The cleanup is the worse, keep this in mind everyone, don't build a deck on the north side of the house, or the side of the house that will be opposite of where the winds come from. Most of our winds come from the south & west, so our problem ares are on the east & north sides. I just removed nearly 3 feet of snow from the deck last week. I normally only have to snow blow the deck once a season but have done it 3 times so far this winter. If we do the roof tomorrow, I will take some pictures and post them.

Thanks TL697, I will keep that in mind. How is the winter down there for you?

Enjoy your today while you can, I know I will.
  9. ECS

ECS Senior Member

I am now enjoying a most beautiful day of R&R. I just took a few pictures for all of you to enjoy or not enjoy, LOL. Here is a picture of my truck which is also taking the day off.

truck 1.jpg
  10. ECS

ECS Senior Member

This one is where we are living at the time, my truck and my wife's JEEP.

11. ECS

ECS Senior Member

This is the view from the front porch looking out across the golf course towards the Tetons. The tracks in the snow are from a moose that came through last nigh or first thing this morning.

5955 3.jpg
  12. ECS

ECS Senior Member

This one is looking out the window. This is what I get to see when I wake up in the morning. Picture taken from our BR doorway.

5955 2.jpg
  13. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Those pics are breath taking. The amount of snow your plowing is alot more then I would care to handle. We are set up better then most to handle the big storms but it's only once in 5 years we see snow falls in excess of 12". We've been out everyday and night for the last week and I'm beat, I can't imagine doing the non stop work that your doing, with no end in site. It's hard to keep upbeat when you keep falling behind. The funny thing is in Aug, you'll be sitting on a lawn mower dreaming of plowing the white gold again because your tired of cutting grass. Hopefuly you have an early spring.:drinkup:
  14. ECS

ECS Senior Member

Thanks Dave. Yeah, spring will be here before we know it and lawns will start non stop from May - September. Once lawns stop (before Fall Clean ups) it is elk season and then I can truely relax and enjoy one of the main reasons I moved here, elk hunting. That is whenthe mountains start getting snowed on also. :D
  15. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

You will have earned the holiday, enjoy. :D
  16. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

you have every right to come on here and complain all you want, everyone at some time will come here and do the same, thats part of the reason for this site. so we can find people doing the same thing we all are and will understand what its like to be up for 24 hrs plowing along the whole time. that by the end of the event your so tired and your patience is so thin for all the stupid drivers that you snap at the littlest thing.
  17. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

good luck with all the snow.
    Thanks for the pics. They are Beautiful. I have often thought of moving there, to Wyoming.
    The pics you show make it all the harder to stay here!
  18. Beautiful area

We are experiencing some repeated storms too.
    Two Blizzards in a week. It isnt the new snow depth because this--fortunately,
    is all fluff. It is harder to find places to put the stuff.

We are not way above normal and the lake effect is getting to mean wind and

When ever I feel so tired:
    A. I think this could quit any day and be over == average winter
    B. I am grateful to be one of the guys that has work

Keep up the preventative maintenance. Take care of your plow.
    And take even better care of your clients. Feed the dogs and kiss your wife.
    Hope there is a hot meal when you get home.

tc, KC and Jetta
  19. ECS

ECS Senior Member

I always have the truck & plow taken care of. It is all in top notch condition. My clietns love me, because no matter what, as long as I can get there, they will be taken care of. They uses me because of my good judgement, reliability and integrity. They know that if I can not do it, I will have someone else come and do it. My wife goes with me and keeps me awake, the dog also goes with me and takes a nap in the back seat. Hot meal is done in a slow cooker and waiting for us when we get home or we eat a nice dinner out.

When ever I feel so tired:
    A. I think this could quit any day and be over == average winter
    B. I am grateful to be one of the guys that has work

Amen to that............
  20. nicksplowing

nicksplowing PlowSite.com Addict