1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

this is what $45 of flashy lights does

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by JoeyM, Feb 3, 2011.

1. JoeyM

JoeyM Junior Member
    from RI

was plowing just my driveway in my quiet neighborhood. i was so involved in my plowing, i didnt even notice the giant state plow truck coming up my road or my neighbor drive up to me when i was out of my driveway and turning around.

i figured i may as well make myself more visible. so i went to the local auto store and installed some cheap strobes and got a magnetic light for the top. total price $40.

i need to go back and put the rear strobe LED in the reverse light. i stuck it in the red part and it's not very bright. but otherwise i was happy with the cheap little kit.

during install:

2. kingf350

kingf350 Junior Member

nice set up for the price. I wish i had my bigg truck back but had to get rid of it.... how many lights did u install
  3. JoeyM

JoeyM Junior Member
    from RI

it was just one LED light in each housing, so 4 total. it was a cheap little kit. don't know how long it will last, but figured it was worth a shot for $25.
  4. KEC Maintaince

KEC Maintaince Senior Member
    from N.J.

looks good. never can have enuff lighting
  5. csx5197

csx5197 Senior Member

Yeah any lighting is better than no lighting. Just be warned that it will get kind of addicting. I've been able to hold out from strobes for awhile, but finally upgraded my single strobe light on the roof to something with a little more punch.
  6. JoeyM

JoeyM Junior Member
    from RI

ha, no kidding. i didnt research lights before i bought that stuff, but i have since.

now i want more! mini light bars, strobes, etc...i love it.
  7. BayStateGlenn

BayStateGlenn Member

hard to tell if they'd be noticable when the headlights are on.
  8. Mabepossibly

Mabepossibly Senior Member

Take it easy on the lights. Its real easy to get carried away with them. Your local Vol FD is a great example of this.

A single top mount flashy is all you really need. If you are driving so crazy and taking giant risks in the process of plowing a lot, you need to adjust your driving...not add more lights.
  9. IC-Smoke

IC-Smoke Senior Member

10. Aveerainc

Aveerainc Senior Member
    from NH

I added a Whelen Rotabeam last week just so that if anyone is coming up the driveway and I'm plowing down they will see me well in advance...same is true for street level - I just want people to see me and know I'm plowing. One light for me is more than enough and the thing can be seen from like 2 miles away it's so bright (and obnoxious :) )
  11. s. donato

s. donato Senior Member

i think i have that same annoyingly loud rotating $16 magnetic light. can't stand the thing. :realmad:

i just installed 4 out of my 8 pack of LED strobes the other day and love that they are quiet. currently have 2 under the mirrors and two in the reverse lights and they are plenty bright day or night. the ones under the mirrors are alittle harder to see durring the day but thats not a big deal to me. :nod:

the other 4 is the question... thinking of doing 2 in the head lights, but not sure where to stick the other two. i may gut that spinner light and stick them in there instead :mechanic:
  12. JoeyM

JoeyM Junior Member
    from RI

yeah, these cheap $25 led's strobe lights aren't real strobes and arent so bright. they're more just toys. but it's ok with me, i'm only plowing my driveway.

the amber rotator of the roof is much more useful. i hear they break pretty quickly though.

i definitely am not going to go crazy with the lights. but i think i'll eventually get one of those mini light bars. i like this one:

13. kingf350

kingf350 Junior Member

i use a amber light for now but i do want to get strobes. I need to get a plow cheap anyone know where i can cheap?
  14. Aveerainc

Aveerainc Senior Member
    from NH

Xkglow.com for strobes