1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

This is ridiculous!!!!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by scooled101, Dec 23, 2008.

1. scooled101

scooled101 Senior Member
    from midwest

It is snowing like crazy and has been all day and I have not had one person call to get plowed I am aggravated as hell right now and not sure what to do. I had a good night last night then the snow starts up good today and nothing. Just wanted to let a little steam out

I am not sure what to do and I cannot figure out what is not working I am cheap I do nice clean work but nobody is calling:realmad:

2. slone

slone Senior Member

some people just like to wait til the snow ends. they figure that way they only pay once. just hang in there. MERRY CHRISTMAS.

3. scooled101

scooled101 Senior Member
    from midwest

well winter just started we have had good snow and seems like less and less people are calling now, I know there are lowballers out and about but I a cannot do anything about them and my prices are cheap as it is. I was hoping for more work I had planned on going to see the wifes family in chicago but I havent made enuff cash so we had to cancel all plans its a huge bummer. Thanks and merry christmas to you to Is there anything surefire way to get some customers back again

4. Snowchief

Snowchief Member

Might be a lot of people out of town themselves, and they will call when they return. I hope so.

Or they might be off from work and think "I have all this time, i'll do it myself."

Bummer about your canceled trip, Merry Christmas to you anyways, though!

5. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

Start driving around and look for people shoveling. Stop and ask if they need a plow. Works for me.

6. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

i ran an add in the newspaper got about 25 calls over the weekend probably did 20 of them
    try that or just drive around people will try to get you to stop for them

7. mnz28

mnz28 Member

craigslist ad? It's free

8. scooled101

scooled101 Senior Member
    from midwest

I think I am going to drive around a little and see if I can get some people that way and hand out some more cards I guess the newspaper ads cost an arm and a leg around here but I do see that as becoming an option in the near future for sure if the driving around dont do much. The craigslist worked but every customer was over an hour away all highway driving I appreciate all the replys and ideas guys Merry christmas

9. heavyiron

heavyiron Member

Have you kept a list of the people who called you before? Get a hold of them and ask what they are doing about their driveways at this point. If you do it politely they probably won't get bent out of shape. Even if they say they are all set, thank them for their time and past business. Then you can figure out how to get them back. Any past customer who is offended from you following up is probably not worth having as a customer.

10. YPLLLC

YPLLLC Senior Member

Have you ever thought about contracts? I just force my customers into signing a contract and tell them it is for insurance reasons on my behalf and that in no way does it make them have to commit to me all season but it does state I will plow with a 2in trigger everytime it snows. That way I dont have to wait for them to call me. Also I use this contract for both residential and commercial accounts.

11. scooled101

scooled101 Senior Member
    from midwest

so i put some more flyers out locally no newspaper ad yet. I made it out xmas eve and I got one of my cutomers back she didnt say who but there is a lowballer running around taking jobs not much To be done but at least I got 1 account back. and picked up 4 more so i guess i cannot complain

12. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

you might want to look into the newspaper it costs me 97 dollars per month for a little 3 line add. i got 25-30 calls over 2 days so its defintately worh it.
    about 25 of these calls were for a 1 time service and 5 of them want to go forward with contracts for the rest of the season

13. scooled101

scooled101 Senior Member
    from midwest

I think I may have to take the newspaper advice from you fellas if this is what it takes then so be it I just hate spending the money with our local money hungr newspaper companies. It would be nice to ge another 25-30 jobs

14. beatle78

beatle78 Senior Member

I was doing a good size driveway for $40 and a fat guy in a new truck, plow, and sander drives by and yells, "I WOULD HAVE DONE IT FOR $20!"

I got 4-5 calls from Craigslist our first big storm of this year.

15. scooled101

scooled101 Senior Member
    from midwest

see thats whaat i mean its crap I am already killing myself and doing drives for 25-30 I cannot afford to go any lower unless the person of course is disabled and has no money that different, but these people running around cutting our throats is getting old. This is my income during this time of year i am out of work without this. Even when i am doing drives there are usually 2 or 3 trucks that ride around the block watching me untill i am done like i am stupid, I know what they are doing

16. beatle78

beatle78 Senior Member

scooled101,

I thought $25-30 is as low as they get! If there's guys going lower that's insane.

Don't let it bother you. I'm sure there are other clients out there that will be happy to pay $40-50 for the exceptional service that you offer.

One $50 driveway is better than two $25 driveways.

17. WheelerandSon

WheelerandSon Member

scooled,

i see that you are here in the midwest. where are you located? I was frustrated with the same problem, but having some sort of ad helped me. if you are close by, maybe i can help you out and shoot some work your way.
    ryan

18. scooled101

scooled101 Senior Member
    from midwest

Yeah my prices are way low as it is I didnt even want to go to the prices I am at but its what gets a few customers here and there so its where I am at right now

WheelerandSon I am by princeton,il 45 or so west of the qc

19. Smitty58

Smitty58 Senior Member

Don't want to start a war here ,but it always gets my attention when people start complaining about what others charge. I agree there has to be a minimum but that may be different for everyone. Just because you can't (or won't) do a drive for $25 doesn't mean the next guy can't. Maybe your overhead is higher than his, do you even know how much you "have" to make to break even? I also understand the whole 1 at $50 is better than 2 at $25 but I have another way of looking at it. If you did 2 at $25 you now have 2 customers who might throw more work and referrals your way vs the 1 at $50. Also if a person gets "deal" on their plowing the chances of them calling you for more work in the future also goes up vs them feeling you gouged them on a one time plow. If I got gouged I would not call that company in the future. Just something to think about. I'm not saying work for free but everyone these days are watching the budget closer so we had better pay attention to that as well when pricing jobs.

20. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

Everything you said makes so much sense. Plus some small driveways out there are the length of my truck and take 2 passes. It amazes me what people say they charge on here.