1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

This is our competition :)

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Ramairfreak98ss, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

We were outbid on local banks... there were about 18 of them total in our county so not a tiny bank but not TurD or Wells Fargo or anything...

Our bid was on the low end, knowing we could handle most of them on route to a lot of other snow sites... they even re-bid the work in the summer..and yet this is the company that outbid us and was awarded the 2yr contract :/ They DO have a 2000+ model f450 9' mason dump truck too i saw passing one, but then they had their "personal jeep" out with a 7' boss sport poly plow.. It was pretty cute until i saw their logo on the side of it and it pulled into the bank 100' after we took this photo :/ Gonna have to put some 8' fiberglass plows on our mustangs and pontiacs soon !

2. Boomer123

Boomer123 Senior Member

So did they just under price the hell out it to get the contract.
  3. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

Yeah, it sounds more like you're bitter that they got the contract. Do you know for fact that the bid they put in was considerably less then what yours was? It looks like the Jeep would do well if it's a bank that has ATM/drive up tellers. They can be narrow so a Jeep with a 7ft plow would probably do pretty good in a smaller tight area. I'm not so sure that skid loader with the push box is going to make it through the drive through though.

One other thing, what makes you so sure that the only thing they are using is the two vehicles you mentioned? Is that fact too? Who's to say the guy that won the bid has 10 trucks or maybe he subs out a bunch of work. I think there's more to it then everyone else needing to put a plow on our Pontiac. LOL
  4. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

..:popcorn::popcorn:...Why is it..When someone comes in with a Lower bid than Yours..They are Freaking Lowballers and they suck?????

Are Your prices that Low..That if someone is Lower...They have Lowballed it...:nod:

I gotta say...For doing Banks or Fast Food places or Small commercial accounts...Those jeeps will outshine a Pick-up any day.....
  5. dfdsuperduty

dfdsuperduty Senior Member

Wish we could get a like button Thumbs Up
  6. tjlands

tjlands Senior Member

The size of the jeep is not the problem
    Problem with that jeep
    residential plates+ logo = illegal in NJ doing commercial work
  7. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

Speaking of smaller trucks with plows. I have a Dodge Dakota quad cab, 5.9l, with a 7'6" western unimount with pro wings, and it is a bad a$$ on smaller lots. I have several 3/4 ton trucks and a couple 1 ton trucks, but I love plowing with the Dakota. It turns on a dime, has a ton of power, and is fun to drive. On smaller lots or larger lots that are broke up it will out perform the bigger trucks all day long. I am looking for another or 2 for next year.

Sorry to hijack the thread. Just my .02
  8. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Careful....You might be called a "Lowballer" for using a Small truck.......:eek:
  9. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

I have 6 banks on my routes, and I wish I could have that jeep at every single one of them.

My trucks and loaders are to wide to get throught the drive ups, and we end up clearing them by hand. Everytime we break out the shovels, I miss my Nissan Frontier with 6'8 Sno Way even more.

10. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing Senior Member

I feel the same way! I was out bid this year on two gas stations and a dentist's office. The other day while gettiing gas at one of the stations a toyota tundra with a fisher sd plow pulled in and started plowing.:dizzy: To make matters worse he had a kid hop out and pull out a walk behind spreader to salt the lot....:jester:

My over head is low I own my equipment no big payments or over head but I can't compete with these guys. :realmad:
  11. SharpBlades

SharpBlades Senior Member

I hate being under bid, but has it occured to anyone that these people are maybe just getting into the business?

I know when I started up my prices were lower than the big guys but I still made plenty of money. I then purcased larger and more equipment which raised my overhead and made my prices higher and I then lost accounts to "lowballers" who could work for less. It's a cycle... If the guy having the wrong plates bothers you that much, get his info and turn him in... I doubt anything will happen besides taking the signs off the jeep.
  12. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

Same in MA. Although my grandfathers buddy has a landscaping business he sometimes uses his jeep for, so instead of on the car logo, he put it on the tire cover, theres no need to go commercial for that! Thumbs Up
  13. s. donato

s. donato Senior Member

hey i use a walk behind salter :jester:

mainly b/c to add a tailgate spreader to my truck it would be so freaking long ;-) plus i only have a few small accounts that want salt. many have been buying their own salt and doing it themselves. i guess it will change the way people will be pricing salting if more start doing this.

If i had 2 more accounts that wanted salt i may wind up getting a spreader.

i guess i am a low baller b/c i don't have a spreader ;-)

OP i see that residential plates plowing commercially EVERYDAY. i would say at least 50% of the trucks that i see out there plowing are residential plated. :realmad:

personally if that jeep could pull my work trailer I would own one in a heart beat.
  14. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I don't know about the rules and regs. in NJ, around here the plate doesn't matter (thank God) but that would tick me off if I lost a bid to someone who, more than likely "proclaims" to be legit and playing by the rules so to speak and you base your bids off of everything from ins. to overhead etc. (like everyone else should be) and then you find out they are anything but. You have to admit, the standard in the industry is definitely slipping. I guess I'm referring more to the plates than the Jeep cuz I've wanted to run a Jeep for a couple season's now strictly for small lots and driveway's.
  15. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

Who does budding for snow in January? A little late isn't it?

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

Cry baby..
  17. Brian Young

This is the point that people are complaining about. Just because your new doesn't mean we should all suffer because you don't know what the market will bring and where the price should be. This is the problem with this type of industry, you have too many guys who honestly are not business thinking men. Most are guys who do this on the side and they figure hey if I can make a few bucks, pay a few bills, I'm set. This way of thinking is dangerous to the industry and to you in a couple years and is why it is the way it is now. Everything in life has gone up in price but the prices in this industry. Do you go into a "new" restaurant and pay 30-60% less than the one right next door.....I doubt it! They sat down and figured all the cost and came up with a competitive price, not just winged it. Until guys actually sit down, treat it like a real business, know exactly how much goes into a bid and what a competitive price should be nothing is going to change. Leaving a small percentage on the table is one thing but anything (I think) above 15% is too much. Just my 2 cents.
  18. Brian Young

I saw a sweet Dodge today for ya! LOUD ars, huge single stack cummins. I left my phone in our loader so couldn't take a pic, sorry.
  19. Lkohan

Lkohan Junior Member

The size of the jeep is not the problem
    Problem with that jeep
    residential plates+ logo = illegal in NJ doing commercial work

Actually it is not illegal in NJ. He can actual register the vehicle commercial without putting commercial plates on the vehicle. It has to do with type and size of vehicle. Check out Title 39 and you will find your answer. I will see if I can locate the statute but he is well within legal standards if he does it this way.

I have a Jeep that I use to plow with and it is great. Yes it is registered commercial and no it doesn't have commercial plates. Just my 2 cents but no that is not me in the picture either. I have noticed since the recession that rates have dropped significantly. I have a hotel, 7 day care centers, and 13 gas stations. I would probably make more money doing hourly work., Especially at the rates of insurance in NJ.
  20. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

At least here in MA, regular plates allow you to plow, but to ADVERTISE you MUST be commercial plates.