1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

This is not charity

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by digit, Oct 28, 2005.

1. digit

digit Member

Well today I found out I didn't get the job for 1-3/4 acre lot wich is okay i guess part of doing Buisness. The thing that bothers me this guy that got the bid was Almost 2 thousand less than me for the season. I thought I was doing at rock bottom price doing a 11 acre lot almost across the street so thought i could do it for less. I don't think I was high because 2 people were 3& 4 thousand higher than me.
    That was for plowing and for salting I was $140.00 per trip and this person that got it will do it for $1500 for the season up to 25 saltings thats $60.00 per trip:confused: What if they want salt during the day he will be losing money I would rather stay in bed than not make money!
    Okay enough is enough but I had to vent The bright side of this is either this guy will do a crappy job or go out of buisness.

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

We should start a club. I got "the call" yesterday. Good account that I'd had for several years. He told me they really appreciated the good service I'd given them but a new guy wanting to start plowing offered them a real good deal even compared to my rates from last winter. I'm really kind of puzzled, though, cause this guy doesn't have a sander which was a big deal for them, especially for couple of hills they have on thier road. They apparently have a great amount of confidence in the guy cause he asked me "We can count on you if there's a problem, can't we?":rolleyes: I said "Sure". What I didn't say was what it would cost.

3. little pat

little pat Member

Hey Mick, It seems there is always some underprepared lowballer out there promising the world praying they don't have to deliver. The amazing part is the stupidity of the customers with blind faith. I hope he screws up and they come crawling back. Hit'm hard when they do!!

4. go plow

go plow Senior Member

and all this time i thought it only happened to me!!!!! ive had people cancel my service over price then say ,as stated above ( if this doesnt work out will you come back?) i also have had people come back to a higher price and not complain because now they know what you get with a cheap price.....i think the next time some one says that to me im going to just say no, once you cancel YOUR DONE.... because people like that just want CHEAP! they really dont care how good you are... or on the other hand you get those that say well for that price the other guy used to---do---- things not related to your job-----------for cheaper!! but when you ask them why the other guy's not there, they dont know what to say!!!!

5. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

we plow for profit!

We had a company call. They said the old snow plower could not make money at snowplowing so he sold what was left of his old worn out rig and retired. Our bid was higher than the contractor who went out of business. The customer said the other guy did it for $35 per plow, implying he wanted us to plow for the same money. We responded well we know that you cant make any money for $35 per plow and we want $55 per plow to make money. He said that was to high. We said well if we are going to loose money we will do it by not working, set at home watching the fire burn in fireplace drinking wine. We would not purchase a rig, insure it, hire a driver to loose money. We left and felt good we dont work for this person.

There is always someone out there who wants something for nothing. We dont want to work for people like that.

Dave

6. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

You pay cheap - you then get what you pay for. Wait until the cheaper plower does not show, has no back up plan, doesn't do a proper job, a lawsuit for a bad job comes up......

Is tweaking a good plower then worth it... raise their 25% up charge when they come back plus an out-of-pre-season contract rate unless they sign a 3 year contract with an upside.

7. westwind

westwind Member

I got lowballed on a 5 pack last year, got them all back this season, even with a higher price. Stick to your guns!:gunsfiring: