1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

This is how its done

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Blizzard1980, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Blizzard1980

Blizzard1980 Senior Member

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Back in the 60's when my dad started working for the highway dept they did the same thing.

3. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

HAHA. Where is OSHA when you need them?

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

5. Blizzard1980

Blizzard1980 Senior Member

LOL. If you have it, better use it. Why keep it in shed for months?

6. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

7. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Back in the mid 70's my brother's first spreader was me with a shovel in the back of the pickup. He did end up getting a VBox spreader after a season of me spreading and then me and the shovel moved to the sidewalk.......

8. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Had to do that twice years ago when our tailgate spreader went down.

9. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

10. Mike S

Mike S PlowSite.com Addict

ya im not going to lie my main man bret had to be my spreader on my dump when the junk snowex 2400 went down........twice!!!! LOL!!!!

11. thesnowman269

thesnowman269 Senior Member

the guy i subbed for a few years ago spread salt like that. claimed it to be easier. he was a little different to say the least

12. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

The only thing easier is; Shovels require little to no maintenance, easy to repair is there's a breakdown and require minimal storage space. :rolleyes:

13. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

A couple of years ago, I had to go salt a property after a storm. I was backing the truck down to the salt pile and ran the left side of the truck off the drive and high centered it. The truck blocked the access to my salt pile so I had to grab my other dump truck without a spreader in, buy salt from a local supplier, and spread it by hand. That sucked. If only I wasn't checking the weather on my phone when I was first backing down.

14. TJD

TJD Junior Member

Is that even allowed on main road ways... To cool... I normally only see that on parking lots.

15. dieselboy01

dieselboy01 Senior Member

I think we have all been there when the spreaders break lol. As for the guy with the weed eater, that's what happens when you drink the 12 pack before your done shoveling.....