1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

This is Bad

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by CrazyPlower, Dec 7, 2005.

1. CrazyPlower

CrazyPlower Member
    from CT

Okay I just had a customer call me saying that they are in bad shape of paying me. He said anything six inches or more to come and plow it. I have plowed the driveway for this guy for 3 years wtf. I charge them 35 dollars for the driveway and hes giving me 45 wtf. Should I drop this customer or keep doing it? Need advice on this one. or should I charge less? Dang it to heck.
  2. KHB

KHB Member

I would still keep him. Most likely this storm coming friday will be more than 6" I hope :dizzy: Plus you never know he may change his mind. How bad off is he?

All my customers so far didn't want me to plow them at all :cry:
    I'm hoping with this next storm I'll be able to get out there.
  3. LockedUP

LockedUP Senior Member

I like the customers that let me figure when I need to plow. That way I keep everything clear and easily plowable...So you get 3 inches and the guy drives over it and it warms up and refreezes and then you get another 3 inches and you show up and its like pushing slush around.. Any customer that does that for me usually I charge them more. One charge is foe 3-4 inches and no more unless I can't get there in time. I don't like to beat up the equipment it costs too much..

If the guy truely has a money issue then maybe you'll have to help him out.

4. nicess

nicess Junior Member

I would try and explain what lockedup said to your customer because he has a good point. I would try to keep the customer though just because he has been loyal to you for 3 years and he has paid you an extra 10 every other time you have plowed.
  5. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Tell him if it under 3 Inches sure just shovel it. That way you will not damage your truck get stuck or slide into his house. If he that bad financially and isn't working or can't afford it, he can get of his butt and shovel.
  6. CrazyPlower

CrazyPlower Member
    from CT

Theres only 1 catch. He works for General Dynamics his wife doesnt work hes got 5 kids i try and keep the driveway as safe as i can get it to be. I can drop him instantly and pick up more. But idk
  7. jackrusselfire

jackrusselfire Junior Member

It sounds like a pretty nice customer. He could have stiffed you or not said anything to you. I think he has a lot of trust and respect for you to tell you and be honest about his hard times. I'm sure the extra 10.00 came in handy for awhile. I say stick with him. I'm sure he will make it up to you. Happy Holiday's:angel:
  8. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

You charge him 35 but he gives you 45?
  9. Groundmovers

Groundmovers Member
    from NE CT.

I would keep him, he was upfront with you. It would be different if after the storm he said "I'll get you next time" and continued with that line...

If you trust him and never had a problem with him, I would do it. It will come back to you.

I always go with the theory that if someone is down (even if he lied) and I give him a hand... I'm ok. If they say they're down and I don't help and they are really down the onus is on me, not good. The guilt isn't on me this way...
  10. S-10 Plower

S-10 Plower Senior Member

I would keep him just my 2 cents
    but i know some of what you are going through, i had a guy call me the other day and tell me he wanted a price i showed up told him 20.00 he has a small drive just back drag to the end then push off to the sides. there was like an inch on the ground when i bid it he told me to go ahead and plow it. so i did, told him i would bill him as he wanted to be plowed every time it snowed 2" or more. OK later that night it snowed 3" this drive is at the end of my route and it had stoped snowing i plowed it, Billed him for the 2 pushes he calls me up and chewed me out over the second push, told me he was only paying for 1 push and that i could have done it both time and only charged him once, 2 days later i got his check for 20.00 in the mail with a note saying no more service wanted from your company.
    so things could be worse.
  11. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

No brainer to me. The man has always tipped you an extra 10, been a good customer for 3 years. Now he is down on his luck, he is being honest with you and looking for a break. I've had customers who are late paying my bill cause they are short on cash. Sometimes things like that happen but I'm understanding when they let me know. Sounds like a good customer to me.
  12. CrazyPlower

CrazyPlower Member
    from CT

thanks guys hopefully we get a big one on friday over 6 so i can go plow it lol
  13. Groundmovers

Groundmovers Member
    from NE CT.

...then if he stiffs ya...just push it all in front of his garage...lol:p
  14. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I take that back about him shoveling....
    He tipped you an extra 10 bucks each time for the last how many years?
    Called to tell he was down on his luck financially, that takes a real man. I'm sorry I should have read closer. Why are you even asking us, that would be a no brainier for me.... I would do it for free all season if you can afford to, Sounds like you can. Don't bill him and don't even keep track in case your tempted to or he asks to pay...You'll be returned the favor someday maybe not by him, but I'm sure by someone. His kids will even appreciate it.

He sounds like a real nice guy.
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2005
  15. Boycea

Boycea Member
    from MA

I have to agree with Yaz on this one. Just do it for him until he can afford to pay. He will appreciate the gesture and you might get some referrals out of him.
  16. qualitylawncare

qualitylawncare Senior Member

6" really isn't that much.. If someone tried to plow my driveway with 2-3" on it I would scream..

I guess this area is different than others. Hell they don't even plow the roads out here from 6pm-5am.. If you can't handle 7" of snow on the road, you shouldn't be driving.

I plowed my driveway this morning for the first time this year. Just over a foot on it..

I only do 1-5" triggers b/c thats the only way I will make money.
  17. QuadRacer041

QuadRacer041 Senior Member

id drop'em
    i hate people who say only come when the snow is high. screw that...so when its easy they say money abd when its hard you have to come and abuse the crap out of your equipment.not me.......bye bye buddy
  18. VAhighwayman

VAhighwayman Senior Member

Everybody seems to be thinking on the same basis of you keeping him, I've come across that so many times and still depending on how long his driveway is and that he treated me well with payment, on the bad times he's having...I did a quick pass on his driveway and didn't charge for it...or i'd just open the entrance way to his drive after the highway guys came thru..I mean..that's me..you'll know for sure which way to go..:salute:
  19. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Keep him on the list...:nod:
  20. frostservices

frostservices Member

How can u abuse your truck with a little snow packed on it just won`t scrape down but it`s winter and the guy don`t care he just wants te be able to get in his drive without having to use 4x4 If I had a guy plowing my drive that wouldn`t plow it when I asked I think I`d be looking for a new Guy were offering a service not providing air to breath!