1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

This happen to anyone else? You can be honest.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Lake Affected, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Lake Affected

Lake Affected Junior Member

This will happen once, maybe twice a season. Which is more than enough. But sometimes I will be running the same rows that I have for years in one of my lots and the edge of my blade will catch on a drain grate or edge of a manhole cover, just a small corner or edge and it will stop the truck dead in its tracks. Usually my drink goes airborne along with loose change, cell phone, paper work and myself. I typically yell pretty loud too. I mean, I know it's there and 98% of the time it's not even an issue, but every now and again...WHAM. I have to turn the radio down and get my composure back before I can continue.

2. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

its always that first storm of the season
  3. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Happened Saturday night to me on an exposed manhole cover in a gravel area of my biggest lot.Apparently,from the lack of snow this season,I didn't notice the grade around the cover dropped an inch or so and I nailed it on the end of one of my wings on my 9-2 Boss.Cracked the boxed beam in half on the push frame where it's welded on that side.Distorted it so bad I had to order a new push frame.
  4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I've almost gone through the front window a few times!
  5. buildinon

buildinon Senior Member

If anyone says it has not happened to them every season atleast once then they have not plowed, or they are full of brown stuffing:nod: he worst is with the lack of snow we have had this year, I was out on the first plowable eveent we had and I hit something at a a decent speed did the WTF:dizzy:backed up (mind you had been out for about 15 hours at this point) and did it agian trying to figure out what I hit beofe I raised the blade a few inches remebering there was a manhole cover there:yow!: Atleast that time it was at a slower speed and only coming from about 20 feet away. But every plow guy atleast every honest one has done this:laughing:

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Or when someone moves the curbs on you and you drill that sucker hard enough that you actually get out of the truck and look things over then get back in the truck and check left to right and up and down? Nope never happens to me, I'm a professional
  7. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

LOL. Took the words out of my mouth. Those are the worst. The old get out and make sure no fluid if pouring out of the bottom of your truck and plow move.... I saw a guy do it once. :laughing:
  8. excav8ter

excav8ter Senior Member

The HOA that i do has no less than 40 manhole covers and valley gutter inlets. The roads are just base coat asphalt so far, as the original developer went bankrupt. They tried to flush up the manhole covers but they still stick up ¼ to 1 ¼" I have caught them a few times, but I have them all marked with t-posts with florescent orange paint, plus I have done this place for 4 years now so I know where the bad spots are. I am usually going pretty slow because I do not need to wreck something.

A few years back when I had employees, a guy was driving my 1 ton dually dump with a 9'2" Boss Vdoing a large church that had just completed another parking expansion, there was 1 manhole cover in the whole place that was sticking up. I placed a large orange cone over it so we would remember it. Next thing I know he call me up and says we have a little problem. He NAILED that cover because as he wwas wind rowing the snow the cone was being pushed off the cover. It literally ripped the left wing off the plow....right at the center pivot pin. A new wing and we were good to go.
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  9. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Only with my boss plow my Fisher trips :) :)
  10. Pennings Garden

Pennings Garden Senior Member
    from VA

and when you do that in a skid steer your head hits the windshield so hard you can actually taste blood in you mouth,,, I think..., this of course has never happened to me since i'm a seasoned professional...:laughing:
  11. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

This doesn't happen to my guys they're required to wear their seatbelts!
  12. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

I hit my head on the ceiling last year. Now I wear my seatbelt
  13. StratfordPusher

StratfordPusher Senior Member

Been there, done that

Been there, done that with a week old 9.2. lucky for me BOSS covered the damages...
  14. BPS#1

BPS#1 2000 Club Member

Thank god for trip edge plows.
    I can't believe folks still buy full trip plows.

But I sure hate snow covered speed bumps.
    They jump out at you.
    While they don't stop operations dead in your tracks they sure do interrupt
    your happy place.
  15. Stinson Landscp

Stinson Landscp Member

Hit a raised manhole cover once so hard I thought the plow recoil was going to blow the rear window out. Had to do the get out and check everything dance. Backed down the entrance, got out again and found the cover about 3ft from the hole. From then on I back bladed that small area till the cover was clear.
  16. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

I had the opposite happen to me, I was backing up to push another row and it was snowing so hard I could barely see if at all. Well, I hit a light pole pretty hard. Enough that when I hit it, the light fixture broke off the top and landed in the truck bed! LOL Somehow I hit it right in the middle and left a nice "V" shape in the truck. It wasn't even my truck! The guy told me to not worry about it and get the lot cleared.
  17. 03sd

03sd Member

This is a little off topic but ill say it any how, I used to work for an asphalt maintence company and we were prepping a lot for chip seal lot was full of gravel so we took our case 621B scraped the gravel off and we found a manhole it didnt't stop the loader the operator pushed the whole thing over about 10" the boss had a few choice words for the whole crew:eek:
  18. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

We've all hit stuff that makes you eat the steering wheel but isn't it funny how when it happens to someone else you can't stop laughing! Lol! Maybe I'm missing the point here but if you know where the manholes are in the lots you plow why bit go there in the fall with another guy and a pick and take a ring or two off the casting? For what it costs to pay a guy a few hours, its definitely cheaper than fixing your plow. besides, like stated above, no matter what you use to mark manholes, the markers never stay put.
  19. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

I wouldn't recommend removing anything from the manhole covers. That could get you in trouble quick.
  20. linycctitan

linycctitan Senior Member

Yup, it happens, but after an incident many years ago, I don't move the truck without my seatbelt on. My uncle hit a raised cover behind a shopping center, stopped the truck dead, broke the a-frame on the plow, bent the undercarriage, broke the adapter from the trans to transfer case and worst of all, dislocated his jaw from hitting the steering wheel. He was running a early 90's GMC 3500 pickup with a loaded 2yd vbox.