1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

This guy is nuts

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by FeelLikeANumber, Feb 9, 2008.

1. FeelLikeANumber

FeelLikeANumber Member

Upon surfing Craigslist I stumbled across this guy. I dont know what everybody else charges per driveway but I know my prices start at about 1/3 what this guys charging for a driveway..... Maybe I'm the idiot.:dizzy:

2. DFLS

DFLS Senior Member

Does he mean $45 ussmileyflag or $45 tymusic?

Maybe he starts high cause he knows customers will bargain with him.
  3. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

"traditional driveway" is a very local/regional thing. But here my min was $40 at the beginning of the season and I'm hard pressed to take on anything less than $50 now
  4. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

i would say that he is in line, with the cost of equiptment repairs you gotta make some $$$$$.... we shelled out a pump on our loader last week while stacking snow and the pump alone is $2500(probably $3500 with labor).....last year we shelled out 1 drive motor on our skid loader while plowing and the total bill with a oil change was $4000... IMO it's never too much for plowing, it's never enough $$$$

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

2 - trucks and a rough winter I am looking at about $3500.oo in repairs this year.

Everything hit at once and one is only a back up truck.

Add a crushed salter in the mix for another grand and you can see that repairs at times can put you in the hole if you are not charging properly.
  6. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

um, $45.00 is my minimum..

if the kid down the street does it for 20-25 with a shovel and goes door to door and I have to drive there and use my equipment, pay for gas, insurance, maint. of equipment and manage there account. It is going to be double of what he charges.
  7. WI OLY

WI OLY Junior Member

With the cost of overhead in this business I won't even start my truck for under $50.00. I don't even mess with residential.

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I'm with ya there only my start up price is a bit more.

Only resi I do is my own.
  9. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

I think your just way to low!!!
  10. SteveJ

SteveJ Senior Member

Ahhhhh, well you said it, I didn't.:dizzy: :D
  11. FeelLikeANumber

FeelLikeANumber Member

I'd still be suprised to see somebody pay 45 for a "typical driveway." I do 15 driveways and two commercial lots and in my mind a "typical driveway" is approx the width of 2 cars and about 20 ft. in length. Total time it takes me with a 6.5 ft plow, no rear window defroster, frozen windshield wipers is about 10 minutes and then its on to the next one. Not all of my driveways are that way and the price does go up on bigger driveways and commercial lots or when the snowfall is more than 6in. When I first started I was told to aim for approx. $60 an hour and at my prices I hit prob. $45+ per hour while plowing for myself and thats on a relaxed time schedule. Maybe for some of you its different because of location or avg. snowfall but around here I dont think $20 a "typical" driveway is a bad price to pay.
  12. veggin psd

veggin psd Senior Member

I agree. I can tell you from first hand experience that a Superduty transmission on my Powerstroke costs $2898! Should have heard the noise when it let go plowing the other night! Sounded like a deer rifle touched off in my back seat!:gunsfiring:
  13. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

10 minutes for a 20x20 driveway? You could shovel faster than that. You're LOW on the prices there bud. If you think $45/hr is a decent return on your investment please just leave the truck parked and let the professionals take over. We have subs here who get $60/hr at a minimum. They at least don't have to deal with customers, invoices, collections, late payers, etc.

My smallest driveway is about 15 wide and 30 feet long, 3 pushes, $40 and 90 seconds later I'm GONE! on to the next one. I have some driveways that take 10 minutes, but they're $120+
  14. abbert55

abbert55 Senior Member

I agree with you on the $45.00 per hour. If you are getting 9 MPG when you plow snow, you won't have much left after expenses. However, if you look at where you are geographically and where we are, there is a big differance. You boys out East always charge more for your services. I don't live too far from K-Zoo and we charge the going rate of $25.00 for an average driveway (up from $20.00 last year). I also charge $70.00 per hour straight time. This is a little more than most here of $65.00 but I have an 860 SpeedWing. I can move 1/3 more snow than most others. We live in an area of fierce competition (heavy building) and that more than anything else determines the price for your area you can charge. Also K-Zoo Mi. is seeing a real hard time econ wise and the prices for services reflect that.
    Thanx for your time,

15. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I think he is in line. People pay for fast service. Ya cant be fast if your 85' Chev is broke down. Like many guys on here I drive a $45,000 truck which cant be paid for by doing driveways at $15 each ;).
  16. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

I wouldn't generally see $45 for a driveway here in NH for anything under 9" in accumulation, but that's only because I have an established clientelle where I'm pretty maxxed out on most storms. Now, if I had extra room in my route each storm, I'd be happy to put in an add for 50% more than a "standard" push for out this way, knowing that (1) they could be single timers, (2) I don't NEED the work because I have a route already, and (3) it keeps the call volume down some because not everyone will pay a $45 push
  17. diesel dust

diesel dust Junior Member

$45 per drive is on the low side for my drives:eek: per hour average $ 200.payup
  18. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

Yes, I would have to agre that you are the idiot for plowing a driveway for 1/3 of $45.00! :gunsfiring: :realmad:
  19. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

unfortunately plowing like many things is regional. $45 per hour is pretty good around here for a sub, and you wont make much more on your own. their are just to many people plowing for beer money driving trucks that belong in the junk yard.
  20. mnormington

mnormington Senior Member

you're joking, right? good one. :drinkup: