1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

This ever happened to any of you?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 75, Feb 8, 2001.

1. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Interesting mobile welding job for me recently: Early '80's F250 4x4 (Twin I beam) with the box section surrounding the driver side front axleshaft cracked up both sides and across the bottom, about an inch from the pumpkin. Lie down on floor of customer's (unheated) garage, vee out the cracks, weld everything up, plate the bottom for reinforcing (couldn't do the sides due to the axle U-bolts) and stitch that on. Truck carries a Meyer straight blade. (8 foot) Has anyone ever experienced something like this, or was this just a fluke? (I don't know if he hit something - if he did he wasn't saying!)

1975 GMC C-35

2. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Never had it happen to me. However I have heard about this type of failure. Failure is generally due to axel overload or abuse. However the age of the truck may have been a factor.

Geoff

3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

We just had a 97 F250Hd in the shop,same thing.cant find a used axle anywhere-salvage yards say the trucks that plow rough break-em sooner or later,and cant get em.Well this guy's bill was about 3800 when he was done.The stamped axle was 800 from Ford,all new ball joints,both side,U-joints,when the driver's side wheel stuck up in the fender well,the axle shaft snapped the front differentail carrier,wiped out the spider gears,and everything inside the differentail except the ring and pinion.this truck was mint and had 56K on it,it was a an xl with plow prep,and a 351/auto.It had an 8 ft Fisher minute mount.If I had a Ford TTB,and plowed,Id chech the weak area every oil change,if it actually bends like this one did,it gets$$ real fast.I thought it was Ironic that Ford admitted no problems with them-yet the new one was an updated,reinforced stamping.

4. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

When I had my 250 the Axle did the same thing. I took the opprotunity to replace it with a straight axle from a 350. Bolted right up only had to play with the steering a bit. Sold the truck the next year but the guy who bought it has had no problems.

5. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I suggested the Dana 60 to the owner also,but we at the shop didnt know the details of the swap,and didnt want to get into a swap.I couldnt find a 350 axle either here,I had them check when they lookd for a F250 axle.

6. wyldman

wyldman Member

It's a well known problem with the ford twin traction beam setup.They can be welded,by a good shop.Ford released a bulletin,stating loose bolts on the diff as the cause.They may seem tight if you try and turn them,but are held in by locktite.They have to be REAL tight,with red loctite.All it takes is for them to lose tension.The bolts are located on the drivers side of the housing,just behind the axle seal,and they bolt the pumpkin,to the I beam.I always use new bolts from ford,just in case.Check the manual for exact torque specs.

7. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Ford has put in writing what is wrong with all their trucks.
    It is easy to idenitfy the probelm area, its surrounded by a blue oval.
    Dino

8. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Dino, I laughed so hard when I saw your post I just about tipped my chair over. I have a good friend (with an '81 F150, of course) who has just GOT to see that!

9. Plowboy

Plowboy Member

As a loyal ford patch and repatcher, I do commmend them for circling the problem with that little blue oval.

10. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson Senior Member

I think your BowTie is to tight and choking you all!!!:D

Don't make me pull your Chevy all over town with my Stroker.:eek:

You Chevy guys are really getting muscles over this new diesel they are putting out.Well lets see how they hold up first!

11. plowking35

from SE CT

Your truck may be able to pull mine around, but I will put my truck side by side with any other truck and it will push snow with the best of them.
    And with out INTL, ford wouldnt even have a diesel.Its the engine that makes the truck not what dearborn put together.
    Oh yeah, it was a stroker that I had to pull out of a ditch this last stor.. Now who was dragging who???
    Dino

12. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds like you all got "stroker fever" to me.

Now... my idea of stroking is .........

nope. Better not go there. Chuck'll have my butt.

13. plowking35

from SE CT

Well there is a saying that goes as follows:
    You can start stroking(ford), and you cant start cummins(dodge), till its like a rock.CHEVY

14. plowjockey

plowjockey PlowSite.com Sponsor

I wouldn't touch that one with a ten foot snow plow.
    :D

Bruce

15. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

Hmmmmmm.................

16. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson Senior Member

Yes if we keep going I think Chuck will throw us all off :eek:
    AS far as you pulling the stroker out of the ditch.I believe it was driver error :D
    To let in on a little secret "I don't plow with my stroker I just PULL my trailer"
    Anyway please loosen your BowTies :D
    P.S.Dino please let me know on that 16' u blade

17. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

Dino -

Heavy Chevy is the best, Drive a mile, and walk the rest.

Loosen the bowtie, so you can get some air :D

18. wyldman

wyldman Member

I'd rather be Cummin that Stroking.

19. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

i saw a Chevy 2500 at home depot this am with a western plow, the lower frame was within 3 inches of the ground. How do you chebby guys use these things without tearing stuff all asunder?

20. plowking35

from SE CT

I have to say that western first off, makes one of the lower mounting and a frame assemblies out there.
    I had an issue with the a frame dragging on curbs till I raised the torsion bars a few turns, now I am fine, in fact the a frame being parallel to the surface being plowed, helps the truck push alot better.
    The brand of truck shouldnt matter as western and fisher both have height guidlines for where the bottom of the mount should be in relation to the ground.
    Dino