1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

This could be the storm of the century...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by roblandscape, Feb 11, 2003.

1. roblandscape

roblandscape Senior Member
    from Phila

I know it is early, but there is a posibility of 12 inchs of snow to hit the N.E. Sat and Sun. I am hoping this pans out, This is my first year plowing and my plow has already paid for itself anything else is pure profit, I'm ready are you:D
  2. litle green guy

litle green guy Senior Member

Yah, i heard that there's a possiblity for a noreaster later this week too. Don't get to exited yet though, it's still atleast 3 days away and given the track record of our wonderful meteoroligists anything can happen between now and then :rolleyes: lets keep praying and hope we get something. even 6" is fine with me.
  3. sk8boss

sk8boss Junior Member
    from PA

count me in for the snow!! I will take the 12 inches for this weekened if its still avail.
    I thought we were suppose to get snow on thurs and they pushed it back till the weekend.
    Let it snow!!
  4. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

guys, i would'nt get too exited this early in the week.

these weather guessers can't even forecast a storm a day away, let alone 6 days.
  5. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

We've already had two 18" storms this season.
  6. snowflake

snowflake Member

welll just got in from alll day and nite plow callin it the blizzard of 2003 here justy winds and up to at least 15" here and more cummin this afternnoon

:p :D :D :D
  7. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

Robland, I must have missed that prediction

Ive been checking forecasts daily and sometimes hourly, and have not yet seen a snowfall amount predicted for the possible storm over the weekend.

I wouldn't get my hopes up if I were you. at least not just yet.

Although the possibility exists, I hear that there is a warming trend possibly on the way.

These weather men don't usually predict potential accumulations this far out.

My suggestion, just keep checking forecasts and maybe by Friday there will be aa better handle on any potential storm.

Last I heard The snow originally predicted for a possible Friday storm has been pushed out to Sunday. So lets wait and see what shakes out between today and the weekend.
  8. CMerLand

CMerLand Senior Member

Sooooooooo, you believe in weathermen???? Bet you also cant wait for the easter bunny to show up with his friends Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy.

NEVER EVER believe a forecast more then 48 hours away. This past storm there were predictions all week that we were dead certain to get 2-4 inches. I went to bed after the 11 pm news being told that it would start between 3-5 am, and had already scheduled my guys to come in for presalting at 3.

At 3 am, nothing so we went to breakfast. We come out at 4:30 and stillllll nothing, so we come back to my house, and I have my guys crash out in my living room. I wake up at 6 nothing, then again at 8 am. They are stillllll calling for 2-4 inches on the weather channel, so I send my guys home until the snow is going to start.

At 12:00pm the snow starts coming down fast and furious and get the guys back in here because this is going to be a fast but heavy storm leaving 4 inches in 6 hours. Once we saddle up by 1 pm we get staged to go salting, just need the snow to stick. Hmmmmm, well still not sticking, lets go bowling. Two hours later, still snowing, but ZERO accumlation. Well lets go eat again. After 1.5 hours in Hooters, still nothing, and I send the guys home for the second time.

So I have three guys, two meals, one very wrong forecast, and ZERO inches of snow and a 128 bowling average.

Soooo you believe in weathermen???? I got a "low mileage", 88 F-250 plow truck in "excelllllent condition" that only needs "minor work". Driven by a little old lady only on sunday snow storms.

I also might have a bridge in New York to sell you also!!!!!!

9. OffRoadPlow

OffRoadPlow Senior Member

Yeah, they got it wrong here too. Said we were getting 1 to 2" by the end of today, then yesterday morning changed it a few flurries then after there was 3" on the ground changed it to 3 to 6 by midnight and more by morning... So at 4" I go push the close ones and leave the rest for morning... Wake at 4am to another inch and it had stopped snowing around 1am. Drive the entire route... 30 mph winds cleared all of the paved drives, and drifted the heck out of the gravel ones. Oh well,, they are saying we may get another 1 to 2" by tonight,,, so I guess we will see what happens. GR and west have been doing really well..

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

It was a true blizzard here. 12-14 inches, very high winds, zero visibility for hours on end.

11. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

here is a perfect example of what I mean

I Checked the Accuweather 15 day forecast at 8:25 am this morning.

For 2/21 they are calling for Blizzard conditions with a projected 7 Hours of snow for a total accumulation of 31.4 inches

for 2/22 they were calling for Blizzard conditions with a snowfall accumulation of 24.7 inches

for 2/23 they were calling for snow with projected snowfall accumulations of 2.9 inches

this would be a total of 59 inches in 3 days

Checked it again at 8:57 am today and its changed already.

for 2/21 they are still calling for Blizzard conditions with 31.4 inches

for 2/22 its now down to regular snow with less than .07 inches

for 2/23 its now down to snow and rain about .02 inches of accumulation

and for 2/24 regular snow with maybe an 1 inch of accumulation

Do the math, it just changed dramatically in about a 1/2 hour !!!
    Imagine how much it can change in 10 days???

Anyone wanna bet it changes again before the end of the day?
    i'm taking bets payup
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2003
  12. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

Jeff,after reading those numbers i thought you were drunk or something:rolleyes: ,so i looked at my local 15 day forecast on accuweather-
    2-21 52.2 inches in 5 hrs
    2-22 1.4 inches
    2-23 1.2 inches
    52.2 inches in five hours,and they can tell me this 10 days in advance,right on!Were do they come up with this crap?
  13. litle green guy

litle green guy Senior Member

hey CmerLand,

LOL, that was a great post

"So I have three guys, two meals, one very wrong forecast, and ZERO inches of snow and a 128 bowling average."

I Know what you mean about that storm though, we where already to go and all we ended up with was one saltable inch my monday night. The weather dopes couldn't even get that forcast right when it was happening. Anyway atleast you got to spend some quaility time with your guys :D

I wanna know why they even bother guessing 15 days in advance when they can't even get the current days forcast right
    :confused: it's a JOKE.
  14. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

I know the laughter that can be had with weather forecasters !! Just yesterday morning here in Indianapolis, I was watching the morning weather at 5:15am..Forecaster ( name omitted ) said 1" maybe 2" if we are lucky...5minutes later I opened the garage door and............ Oh my, we already had 2+" on the ground LOL...we you know the rest

15. NNJSnow

NNJSnow Senior Member

Yea I heard a big storm for sunday in New Jersey but the totals??? who knows ive heard a foot to 2 ft. Just gonna be patient and hope for the best.
  16. Got Snow

Got Snow Senior Member

i'm not sure if i could take another 12"....no where to put the snow. i better look into a skid steer. as long as it doesn't snow between feb 21-mar 2 i'm ok (disney here we come)
  17. sbvfd592

sbvfd592 Banned

On accuweather.com where do you find the amounts forcasted???
  18. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

To find the projected amounts on the 15 day forecast you click on the actual date eg:

Friday 2/21
  19. Rob

Rob PlowSite.com Veteran

A mere 8 hours later, those three dates combined only look like 1.9 inches now !! (Please correct me if I'm reading accuweather wrong)
  20. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

My long range on accuweather as of 5:30 pm today still has a 3 day total of 57" for that storm:rolleyes: ,i'm waiting for a response from accuweather as to this forecast,they seem to be the only one that knows about it,i don't buy any stock in what they say,i'm just curious how they came up with that?