1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Third broken frame on GMC 2500 HD

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Ron O, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Ron O

Ron O Junior Member

GM is kickin' me to the curb on this one. I own 5 GMC's and they (GM rep) said truck is not made for that type of work because it is not heavy enough. GM bought first broken frame truck back, the dealer welded frame and sold it to some other sucker. The second truck GM replaced frame, truck was out of service for 3 weeks. The third is a 2006 with about 40,000 mi. I feel they sold me a grocery getter not a work truck! I have asked the GM rep to bail me out just like the gov. bailed them out.
  2. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Search around the site here for the little guesset plates guys put on their frames. Should be a quick fix to prevent this problem. I'm doing mine as soon as our friends get their lift installed, I'm not up for laying under the truck on the cold floor. :D
  3. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

What size plow do you have on the trucks?
  4. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

what kinda work do you do? Seems like you maybe you should in 5500 package if you are breaking frames
  5. bossplwr09

bossplwr09 Member

That has always been an issue with Gm and in the past they have stood behind their product and replaced it, but now they are being a little bit more stingy about it, so you really need to ask your dealer about it (if they will look the other way because you use the truck for plowing) before you buy it or else they see those plow mounts on there and they'll turn you away.. Doesn't make sense considering GM's motto is "The longest lasting truck." Don't you think they would stand behind a faulty product?
  6. ScnicExcellence

ScnicExcellence Senior Member

take mounts off and bring it back. say you don't have a clue what happened.
  7. 91AK250

91AK250 PlowSite.com Addict

we've had 3 chevy trucks with less them 50k miles come in my shop in the last 3 weeks with cracked/broken frames. we welded and reinforced it at the owners expense and will not warrenty somthing like that as we arent a frame shop.

seems as though they are kinda thin in some key areas..but thats just me
  8. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Maybe its the operator...........:confused:
  9. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

This is the main reason why I will never put a plow on another GM truck again... too many people have had this problem! We had a 2005 2500 hd due the same thing and I plated it and sold it immediately!
  10. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

Don't forget they used your money too.payup
    GM should fix it.
  11. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

Have any pics? Where is it breaking?
  12. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Ya its probably the operator :rolleyes:
  13. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Where are they breaking? Is it right near the front tire where the frame angles down? I have seen the gm;s do this
  14. beatle78

beatle78 Senior Member

This is the first I've heard of this?

Are all GM affected or just the 2500 series. I have a 2003 K1500.

Where is the frame cracking?

Does anyone have any pics of the cracks and reinforcements that they are doing to them?
  15. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

16. beatle78

beatle78 Senior Member

17. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

I don't think Chevy 1500 have problem but mostly 2500- 3500

You could put gusset on it to prevent frame from break.
  18. 91AK250

91AK250 PlowSite.com Addict

thats what i thought also, after the first one..i said damn they musta used the truck as a battering ram.

but after 2 others came in, and they ovbiously had not been beaten on as they were daily drivers of the owners and very clean..ect i thought alittle different. but thats just my opinion so take it with a grain of salt i just know what i saw and honestly couldnt believe it lol:dizzy:
  19. MAR4CARS

MAR4CARS Senior Member

What years are affected?
  20. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

if it were mine and i paid for a plow package on it ....
    i'd drive it through the show room window if they said its not covered.....
    then i'd by a Toyota.....