1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Third brake light

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by herb1001, Oct 2, 2011.

1. herb1001

herb1001 Senior Member

Does anyone have a led third brake light on a their pickup? I see a lot of them on eBay but I don't want to buy china junk. Any good ones out there?

2. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

Buddy has one on his 250.
    Only one side works (it's been like that since he bought it a few years back)

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Shoot over to the dealer and pick one up.

4. herb1001

herb1001 Senior Member

I am looking for a 98 f150

5. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Have one on my superduty. It's a recon, and it's cheap quality. Within a week of installing it, one of the LED's in the cargo lights went out, I was able to solder in a new one and it works fine now. I set it up to flash with an LED flasher, it's definitely an attention getter at night. The cargo lights suck though, LED's just don't have the kick they need to light up the bed. If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't waste my money on the Recon, I'd convert a stock one to LED.

6. grec-o-face

grec-o-face Senior Member

I bought a cheap one on ebay and it only lasted a few weeks. LEDs started dropping out. I replaced it with a Recon unit and haven't had any problems.

Since then, I've rebuilt the cheap one with quality components and it's in use on a friends truck.

7. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

i feel that if anyone is that close to me that they need to see a high-mount brake light, they deserve to get my trailer hitch through their radiator.

8. wizardsr

What gets covered first by powder when driving on snowy roads? I prefer to have a working 3rd brake light as the taillights on the back corners of the box get snowed over pretty quick while the CHMSL stays clear.

9. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

if someone is driving close enough that they can not see you slowing down, they deserve to hit you.
    and for what it is worth, in 38 years of driving, i have never had my tail lights on any truck get covered where you can not see the lights.

people need to slow down and back off. if they are so worried about getting somewhere on time, leave the house 10 minutes earlier.

10. wizardsr

I agree with you, but it was just for the sake of discussion. Some storms I notice my taillights are completely covered by the time I get to the next site less than a mile down the road. When it's blowing and visibility is poor, I'll take all the help I can get keeping the idiots out from under my rear bumper.

11. herb1001

herb1001 Senior Member

Anyone put strobes in the third brake light?

12. snowplowpro

snowplowpro Senior Member
    from NJ