1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Third barake light strobes?

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by CityGuy, Jan 5, 2009.

1. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Can anyone tell me how easy or if it is possible to add strobes to your 3rd brake light? Ehat size or type of bulbs to use?
  2. bula_1984

bula_1984 Member

You need to check with your local government that you can have red or white strobes flashing for plowing before you go any farther. You can also check with your local state patrol.
  3. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

I know that I can as long as I am not driving down the road with them on. I was told by a tropper that as long as I back out then go back into a lot I can have rear facing red.
  4. Fiafighterdude

Fiafighterdude Senior Member
    from ME

But they have to flash at the same time
  5. coachglynn

coachglynn Junior Member

I was just going to post a similar question. I was thinking of putting amber strobes in the clear cargo lights on either side of the third brake light. If anyone has done this or thinks it's possible please let us know.
  6. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

it can be done
    it depends on which type of truck and how much room is in there
    strobes get hot and need some space to avoid melting the housing
    a better bet would be leds but im not sure if those will fit in there either
  7. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

Works great in a 3rd Gen Dodge.......I have strobes in each cargo light, left the red brake light alone...........Very happy with it.
  8. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

How hard was it to install and where did you route you wires?
  9. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

JT, put white or amber strobes in your CLEAR LENSED cargo lamp. Red isn't all the noticable to most folks. And quite frankly, just because a state trooper said it was ok, doesn't mean he's right. Cop's make errors too. A good place to ask about state lighting laws would be Streichers in Plymouth, they sell and install lighting systems for Emergency vehicles.
  10. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

Be careful; it is very easy to melt the plastic in those small housings.
  11. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Could I run LED's along with my other stobes or do I have to run an len pack and all leds?
  12. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

leds dont; use supply..they run of 12v power wire
  13. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

Some Hideaway LED's use a power supply/flasher and/or ballast.
  14. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

I have done them in a Ford Superduty 3rd brake light. Plenty of room. I used the Whelen Clear Hideaway tubes. Run the wires on the inside of the cab down to the box. Piece of cake.
  15. hotshot4819

hotshot4819 Senior Member

i just did the Whellen vertex in my ford f350. if anyone wants pic let me know, i can post. maybe even a video
  16. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

please do..........
  17. NickGB

NickGB Senior Member

It is easily doable on most late model trucks with either strobe or LED.
  18. hotshot4819

hotshot4819 Senior Member

just got in from the storm. i will get them up tomarrow
  19. coachglynn

coachglynn Junior Member

I have to ask a dumb question. Do you take out the original bulb and replace it with a strobe or was there room for both?
  20. Oshkosh1990

Oshkosh1990 Junior Member