1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Thinsulate

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Brian's Lawn, Nov 19, 2006.

1. Brian's Lawn

Brian's Lawn Senior Member

i have been lookin around on here for a while and havent seen this mentioned once. i dont have a plow and i will be blowing snow and its critical for my feet to be warm. i'm looking to buy some boots that will keep my feet warm and dry. how many grams of thinsulate would you recommend to keep warm. would 600g be enough? i would really like 1000g but is that just overkill? this is the type of boot that i am looking at right now ......... http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...ew=all&parentPage=family&searchId=19279043742 mainly just that style. not so much that particular boot. would like wolverine but would settle with something else. thanks for all your help

2. Alphacowboy

Alphacowboy Junior Member

I have a set of the Rockys 1000grams and absolutely love them, first pair of boots that my feet finally do not freeze in!

3. HoneyDooYrdWrk

HoneyDooYrdWrk Junior Member

my last three pairs have been baffins 1000g. there amazing and they last quite a while. but im not sure if you can get them in the states

4. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

5. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

6. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

i wear my snowboard boots...simlar in size to a sneaker so i can drive...and nice and warm...they are 5150's my old pair...

7. CARDOCTOR

Columbia®'s Bugabootres™ men's winter boot maximizes the benefits of warmth, comfort and protection with the a new, dual-density, FLEX-SHELL™ technology. Thinsulate™ Ultra provides extreme performance insulation, while the non-marking Omni-Grip® rubber compound with minimal loading lug tread pattern increases abrasion-resistance for durability, maximizes traction in snow and ice and is resistant to extreme temperatures.

Features

Waterproof upper with synthetic coated leather in heel area for abrasion resistance
    Fully seam sealed waterproof construction
    Rustproof metal hardware and nylon top hook
    Gusseted tongue
    400g Thinsulate™ Ultra. Rated -45F/-43C
    Removable molded EVA with brushed nylon top cover
    ThermaShield™ frost plug
    Two-color dual density injection molded rubber FLEX-SHELL™ with snowshoe binding lip
    Die-cut EVA midsole
    Non-marking Omni-Grip® rubber compound with minimal loading lug tread pattern

J REED

8. LLM Ann Arbor

LLM Ann Arbor Senior Member

Believe this or not but its not so much about keeping your feet warm as it is keeping your feet dry.

The leather boots you have in post 1 will get soaked through. I dont care what the manufacturer claims or how much this and that they have in them. Most boots under sever duty like you'll be in shovelling and blowing will soak through in time.

Try to get something with a lot of rubber and spray the heck out of them all the time with silicone available at all the stores...Dicks/Cabellas whatever. Made by camp dry I believe.

.I dont know what your budget is for good boots but these look pretty sweet and are totally waterproof.

Your footwear is your most important piece of equipment dont forget....doing what you do. Tuck your jeans in the boots. And still spray with Camp dry in between uses after cleaning

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...80030&parentType=index&indexId=cat280030&rid=

Last edited: Nov 22, 2006
  9. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

Dick's has Rocky's called Blizzard Stalker for $99. They have a thick rubber sole and are1200 grams. I use Rocky Bear Claws in the summer and the Stalker's for winter/hunting. They are the warmest boots I have found. I also use Under Armour cold gear "boot socks".

10. heavy detroit

heavy detroit Junior Member
    from Livonia

boots

Gortex in the boots helps keep your feet dry and definately use the thinsulate. And wool socks help keep you warm and they wick away the moisture. Also I recomend like posted above to tuck in your jeans/long johns but then wear nylon sport pants as a top layer and leave them un-tucked to prevent snow from going in the boots. Stay dry. Good luck!payup

11. LLM Ann Arbor

Just got to laughin cuz I've had my boots soak through..Hell we all have ....aint nothin like that smell of wet socks and feet after a day in the snow eh?

lol

Have a little foot powder or baby powder....shower to shower, whatever to sprinkle in the boots while waitin for the next get down.

Whew!

:eek:

12. CARDOCTOR

i have wolverine gortex boots that i use when riding my quad. they are 100percent
    waterproof .now i just need to find away to keep the rest of the body warm and dry

john

13. Brian's Lawn

14. ECS

ECS Senior Member

600 will do you fine.

15. LLM Ann Arbor

16. BJH Snow

BJH Snow Senior Member

I have a pair of Rocky 1200 gram thinsulate and coated with water proof paste. I wouldn't plow with out them. They are not bulky and easy to drive with. I paid around $150 for them two years ago. I plow for an Ice Fishing Contest in Brainerd, MN every year (15,000 people on the ice at one time) and find standing water on the ice many times and my feet have never gotten wet yet. Any boot that keeps you feet dry and a good pair of socks will keep your feet warm.

17. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

Rocky, Hodgeman, they are all good, if your feet stay dry. That is the secret. I personally have a pair of each, of the aforementioned, and love them. Both are waterproof, and work well. The only problem i have, is with the Hodgemans, They are quite bulky. PITA to drive with.

18. Brian's Lawn

19. BJH Snow

BJH Snow Senior Member

Brian's Lawn

how are these and does anybody have them? do rocky's run small or big or what?? are they wide? is the "PermaSeal" really waterproof and how high up does it go?

http://www.rockyboots.com/webapp/wcs...gory_rn=10633#

I have those exact boots however no steel toe. I have no problems with room for the pedals or driveing with them. In addition, They are warm and keep my feet dry.

20. turbo38sfi

turbo38sfi Senior Member

Check out LL Bean's site. www.llbean.com They've got their BeanBoots which are some of the best boots available. They are not cheap, but they are guaranteed for life. I've had several pair over the years and they stay dry and are warm as can be. I'd never own another boot for severe conditions. No matter how old the boot is, if there is a problem, you call them and send it back, in my case I'm close enough to drive there. They'll either give you cash back or exchange it for full price for any item they sell.