1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

thinning out???

Discussion in 'Eureka Fluid Film' started by jmac5058, Jan 15, 2010.

1. jmac5058

jmac5058 Senior Member

Thanks for my free sample love it,if I buy a gal. how/what do I do to delute it so I can spray in a hand pump bottle or should I use a larger insecticide pump?
  2. joyofFluidFilm

joyofFluidFilm Senior Member

IF you have to dilute Fluid Film, you could use a small amount of vegetable oil. The best way to spray Fluid Film is with the use of an airless paint sprayer or undercoating gun. The pump up type sprayers can't get enough pressure to properly atomize the product.

hope this helps :p
  3. jmac5058

jmac5058 Senior Member

that helps alot thanks very much.
  4. PhilFromErie

PhilFromErie Senior Member

I always thought you were supposed to think it with naptha thinner
  5. Dano50

Dano50 PlowSite.com Addict
    from CA

We don't actually recommend thinning the product. It's only as a last resort if none of the application methods for bulk are feasible. The problem with thinning the product is you are thinning the properties that make it work so well.

The bulk product is similar to the viscosity of a latex paint, so if you treat it like a paint you can't go wrong: Either brushing or rolling it on or using an airless paint sprayer with a minimum psi of 80 should do the trick. Undercoating guns will also do a good job of applying the product.
  6. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

What about hooking it up to an air compressor sprayer???

SKYNYRD Senior Member

if you're meaning a typical paint gun, the tips are too small and the product wont flow nicely at all:(
  8. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

The John Deere guys swear by cutting it with diesel or K1. They spray all there equipment down with it using a pump sprayer.
  9. Mopard

Mopard Senior Member

I've wanted to try out FF on the plows for a while but like most I refuse to pay the exorbant, over-inflated prices here in Canada. I have an opportunity to have some brought back across the border and I was going to get a gallon pail as well as a case of cans to try it out but I was hoping to throw the gallon into one of those convenient garden-type pressurized pump sprayers with the wand ... from reading on here I guess this is not a great idea as these pressurized sprayers don't build quite enough pressure to atomize the FF properly ... correct? Or are we just talking about the small hand pump sprayers ... like windex comes in? I thought I saw FF actually being sold in the small hand pump bottles?
  10. jmac5058

jmac5058 Senior Member

I had trouble finding a undercoating sprayer so I grabbed a squeeze ketchup bottle like the kind found in a cafateria and if I need a wide area done just a fue squirts and then spread out with a rag or paintbrush.Seems to work OK,and the price was rite.
  11. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Napa sells this undercoating gun and we've been using it for almost 8 years with great results. No thinning needed and pressurized guns work much better for undercoating. This also has a small nozzle for tight places. The problem with paint sprayers they are good for large area's but they make it very hard to spay into tight area's. Picture is in this thread. http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=50483
  12. gary42095

gary42095 Member

Home depot sells grey hand spray bottles that have a five year guarantee, they seem to work to get the thick fluid film to spray but only in stream form, whick i use for certain situations. for everything else i use either a cheap-o wagner type electric paint sprayer from harbor freight tools (right down the street from me) or a mini sandblast gun from same place that is air powered and comes with a quart size cup on it. i spray it on every truck i own, use it as never sieze, and also coat sanders and plows for storage.
    i coated my sander engine the other day and then had to do some electrical work on it phew.... i like the smell of that stuff but when its burnt is smells like a sack of rotten turd cutters
  13. joyofFluidFilm

joyofFluidFilm Senior Member

"....i like the smell of that stuff but when its burnt is smells like a sack of rotten turd cutters "...lol...im not looking forward to that...ha!