1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Thinning hydraulic fluid...............

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by poncho62, Jan 23, 2005.

1. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

Anybody out there know what I would use to thin down hydraulic fluid. Here is my problem. I have a Meyers snowplow (E-47), which supposedly uses their "special" fluid, which is thinner than the regular fluid. It also comes with an inlflated price ($9.00/litre). The local Meyers dealer is also out of town.

Today, I was at Canadian Tire and saw their hydraulic fluid, grade ISO AW32, whatever that means, is $8.00/gal....a little more my style, price wise.

Any of you oil experts know how I can thin this stuff............................?

2. jbrow1

jbrow1 Member

I just use dexron III tranny fluid in my myers. I don't think it'll take as cold of temps as the meyer oil though. But works fine for me.

3. Ken1zk

Ken1zk Senior Member

I use the dexron in my meyer 47, works fine and we get some real cold weather here in Buffalo. I do change it every season. I definitely would not add anything to "thin" the oil since any other chemical could adversely affect seals, hoses and the like.

4. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

That's what another person told me too............will give it a shot.

thanks

5. Ken1zk

Ken1zk Senior Member

let us know how it works out for you ... good luck
    Ken

6. jbrow1

jbrow1 Member

Mine worked well this morning. -10 degrees farenheight. Dexron good, cheap, and readily available. And I thought I'd get flamed for my first post. :p

7. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

The way i look at is if my trucks are out making thousands of dollars,i NEVER SKIMP on parts or service.I don't want to be in a blizzard at 3am with a propane torch because my plow pump is frozen :dizzy:

8. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

Thing is, this plow is mainly for my personal use....plus a couple of friends driveways.

9. jbrow1

jbrow1 Member

Echovalley has a point. I just never have had a problem using dexron. Change the fluid every year, and it's been good to me. I do mostly personal stuff now also. But when I used to do alot of plowing I still used it.

10. 4speed

4speed Member

My old meyer would always freeze up with dexron (bad seals and rust on the rams). Started buying hydraulic plow oil at napa and rarely had a problem after that. IMO If you have confidence that your plow has been well maintained, then go ahead and use ATF. But if there is any chance that you might get water in the system I would stick with the plow oil.