1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Thinking on buying this

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by spiderx, Nov 14, 2013.

1. spiderx

spiderx Junior Member
    from PA

I found this 87 jeep wrangler with a myer plow and its a bit high for my price range but I think I can manage it. They want $4500 obo. I was thinking of going $3500 tops. I havent gone to look at it yet but I have been told it has many new parts. And I can always put a paint job on it but my main wonder is about the plow.
    The best part of it is the jeep has 59K original miles on it. List of new parts include:
    New Fender
    New Belt & Hoses
    New Coil
    New Filters
    New Starter
    All New Wiring
    New Brakes, Rotors & Brake Drums
    New Driver Seat
    New Hard Top w/ rear wiper
    New Water pump, New Oil Pan, New Transmission Lines
    New Interstate Battery, New Timing Chain,
    New Tires

I was wondering if anyone can tell me what plow and pump set up this is? I know its a myer set up but not sure what year nor model #. When I spoke with the owner he said he doesnt know and is the 2nd owner of it and the jeep.
    He said there are no leaks and its a 7' plow.

I only do home plowing for a fairly long driveway. I had a e47 pump from the 80's and had nothing but problems with it. I got a rebuilt one and it only last 2 years. So I was kinda skeptical about this one on this jeep as it looks like its older.
    I also wondered if something like an all in one set up would be better as I grew tried of having the pump on the truck full time or having to take it off. I was thinking on going with a snoway for easy of installing and getting to use the vehicle without the pump on it and having to take it off all the time for looks. Need some advice or thoughts to sway me into buying this plow set up.
    Onto the pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  2. JeepCoMJ

JeepCoMJ Senior Member

That's an E60 pump

3. Fred886

Fred886 Member

If/when you go check it out make sure to check the rear frame by the tailgate.

4. WingPlow

WingPlow Senior Member

your main concern should be the frame and not the plow....

5. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

That looks like a big pump, that plow normally has the E-47 pump. Plow looks like an ST-7. I see that plow on most Wranglers around here (I like how it is 7'... 6.5' which I had was a tad small IMO). As long as the plow blade looks solid (not rusted through), and the plow frame looks good, as well as pump functions as it should, plow is fine.

Now to the vehicle... has it always had a plow? The low mileage suggests that (just used in winters?), which means to look very carefully for RUST! Don't get too excited about the low mileage, I would take one with twice the mileage if this one has rust. Does it have a transmission cooler? Check BRAKE lines... were the transmission cooling lines replaced due to rust?

Check floor pans (under carpet), where the seatbelt retractors mount to the body (bring front seats forward to check this area, I have seen them rusted out), back of frame, and where spring hangers meet frame, as well as steering box mount area for cracks/rust. From what I understand 1987 Wrangler (YJ), did not have galvanized body, 1988+ did.

Ideally, I like to buy a used plow and Jeep separately. Figure a good working plow for a Jeep (about the looks of yours) is worth about $1,000 (in my opinion). If you get it for $3,500, figure the Jeep was $2,500.

An advantage of a newer plow is that the pump/lights come off with the plow, take that into consideration if looking at others.

6. spiderx

spiderx Junior Member
    from PA

Thanks guys for all the info and help. I ended up getting it and now looking it all over. Got it for $3500. which I thought was pretty fair. They did put a lot into it already.
    Jeep frame is nice, some surface rust but no rot so far from what Ive seen.
    Plow blade and frame are solid. Plans for a re-do on it for sure.
    Not sure if it was always a plow vehicle from the first owner but the previous owner used it the whole time as a plow vehicle which is pretty much what I needed it for during the winter time. It was a 16 yr olds first vehicle and the parents grew tired of replacing parts on it.
    Eventually, I'd like to use it during the summer too but not just yet. Lots of work on it before road use.
    The body is pretty solid. Just a few small break outs of surface rust. Plans for painting are in store.
    Not sure about a transmission cooler? How would I find that out?
    Drivers side floor pan has some surface rust but nothing rotted. Needs attention tho.

7. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

Transmission cooler >>> If it is a manual transmission you will not have one. An automatic will have 2 lines running to and from the transmission. They go to an auxillary cooler mounted in front of the engine radiator.

8. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

is that a 4.2 or fuel injected 4

9. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

He said trans lines....must be auto

10. spiderx

spiderx Junior Member
    from PA

Hi yes its an automatic. Sorry for the late response. I havent been on in awhile.

11. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

4.0L came around in the Wrangler in 1991

12. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

The 87 (4.2) was carburetted, 91 started the 4.0 and FI

13. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

So did you get it?

14. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

those 4.2 are a nightmare i sitched to weber

15. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

Did the same on my bro's 1988, after that it was fine, ran great.

16. spiderx

spiderx Junior Member
    from PA

I got a guy that is offering me $400. for the whole plow set up. I was wondering if it was worth the offer? The plow has a rust spot ready to bust thru just above the blade(middle). I was thinking on selling it and picking up something like a all in one unit. What do you guys think on the offer for it? Its got new hoses on it and it seemed to work great when I used it for the 2x's in the season. Some more paint peeled away since I used it.

17. JeepCoMJ

JeepCoMJ Senior Member

I would pay 300 for the pump. So no, thats worth $700

18. spiderx

spiderx Junior Member
    from PA

That's what I was thinking. I countered at $700-$750. But he insists they only go for $400. and has a pole barn full of them. :confused: Im thinking a reseller

19. JeepCoMJ

JeepCoMJ Senior Member

Ha. He is buying inventory to sell for $1000 or more next year.

I would pay $400 for that to add inventory, and wouldn't tell someone it's worth more...difference here is you have no reason to get screwed.

Rebuilt e60 pumps leave my shop every day. $350. For a rebuild, $700 to buy the pump outright.

I sell blades to one person, $150 to $300 per blade.

The only mounts I hold on to are chevy and jeep. Jeep mounts usually make me $300 just for the mount, especially TJ or YJ. Then there is still wiring left.

He's offering too little.

20. spiderx

spiderx Junior Member
    from PA

Thanks for your help. I appreciate it. Thats what I thought. Especially after hearing it was going to sit all summer.
    Is the E60 and older pump than the E47? Which is better between the two?
    Think Im going to strip the paint down and see what condition the skin is in. I found a nearby place that sells skins for $200.