1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Thinking of upgrading thoughts??

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Jewell1386, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Jewell1386

Jewell1386 Senior Member

I have a 12 year old boss V plow and am thinking of upgrading to a new one. Plow has been very dependable to me just getting old. I have heard some grumbels of the new ones are not at good as the old ones but I would like to have the smart lock cylinders and a few other things the new plows offer. Am I better off rebuilding this one or buying a new one. The plow is still in great working order and for the first time last year It gave me an issue while out plowing the motor was taking a crap and didnt want to lift in a V. Let me know thoughts and or experiences.
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Well when you see 5k for a new one ,you'll fix up the old one for sure!
  3. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

I have a old RT1 V-plow and love it, a new one would be nice but this one just keep going so till I can't get parts to fix it I'm keeping it, I think this plow will out live me ! LOL
  4. jnjpream

jnjpream Junior Member
    from CO

Unless you've burnt a winding you can rework a motor.. Had a similar problem where the pump unit was weak (checked with guage). Pulled the armature from the motor, cleaned the crud out from between the commutator contacts and shined the contacts up, reassembled and it was as good as new. You can still get brushes that will fit the old ones too.
  5. Jewell1386

Jewell1386 Senior Member

I am pricing out new smart locks this week I think she will make a few more seasons with some updates. I am becoming partial to her. Hard to get rid of reliable equipment
  6. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

I completely rebuilt my plow mechanical & electrical parts for < $1000. Everything is new except the pump, which I rebuilt myself. I then bought a brand new blade assembly for $1300 from the local western dealer. Granted my total investment was about $2300 .. I couldn't buy a new plow for that much, so I'm good to go.

I'd rebuilt it and pocket the rest.