1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Thinking of upgradeing 8'6" SS XV To a 9'6" SS XV

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Adair350, Dec 24, 2008.

1. Adair350

Adair350 Member

Hi all hope you are all having a good start to the season.

Wanted to ask for some of your opinions. I have a MM1 EZ-V setup that I put an 8' 6" SS Xtreme V blade on over two years ago. This year I have doubled my accounts and I am thinking of trading my plow in for a complete brand new 9' 6" SS Xtreme V set up to save time and i could maybe add some more accounts. I mainly plow driveways and small lots have 35-40 accounts and I have a pickup that plows roads for Belchertown. The V plow is on a 96 F350 ford diesel dump with a sander in it. I am the only one who plows with it, I don't abuse it and it has been great no trouble. I was just wondering what your thoughts on the MM2 9' 6" model where. It seems like they have more problems than the 8' 6" models do. Any input would be great Thx Rob :waving:

2. winged1dur

winged1dur Senior Member

Put the 9'6" on the DRW, put the 8'6" on the SRW. Sell the 8' HD.

3. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

Rob,
    you were able to attach new Stainless steel wings to an old EZ V set up ? I have a MM2 ez V and would like to get the steeper attack angle of the extreme V

4. Adair350

Adair350 Member

I Had to buy the whole blade set up. Wings, "T" push Frame, and pistons. It Pins right on to your existing MM2 headgear but you may have to buy new longer hoses for the new angle pistons because the EZ-V hoses where to short. You may also have to extend your lift chain and make a custom blade stop to stop the tower from hitting the headgear when stacking. Talk to your fisher dealer and tell them what you want to do Im not sure if there is a kit to upgrade blades now I think my dealer had to order it as parts becaus there was no kit availible when they first came out. Hope this helps you out if you have other questions let me know

5. Adair350

Adair350 Member

Have any of you used the fisher wing extentions on the Xtreme v plow. how do you like them? they look like they would hamper the rolling action when windrowing. Any input anybody?

6. BK Hammer

BK Hammer Member

Ya I put a set on this year. They were a PITA to get them to fit. Had to grind on them a bit or enlarge the clevis pin hole in the plow. I chose to grind and paint.
    My cutting edges were not new, so I had to cut the poly edges on the wings to match the edges on my plow so the plow edges would contact the pavement. No biggie.
    I do not like the poly edges at all anymore after only a couple of trips out. My new wings are little bent because those edges do not trip and ripped the bolt holes right out of on side. Honestly, I can say that I did not hit anything that hard. Anyway, just put plyable rubber edges on so we will see.
    The wings are amazing at holding snow and my production rates have improved. Haven't really noticed any problems with windrowing, but the leading edge holds snow better so I can take a bigger bite so to speak.

7. Adair350

Adair350 Member

Thanks BK Hammer thats what I wanted to know Im thinking about buying a set and trying them out, just couldent find anything on here about them. I still kind of want to upgrade to the 9' 6" MM2, Faster hydraulics, and the better lights.

8. BK Hammer

BK Hammer Member

I got lucky on mine at CPW. Paid just over 5 bills including shipping. I think they list @ like 6 bills now. I would ditch the poly edges for rubber first thing. Maybe it is just me, but the poly seems to be just too rough on everything period. JMO. Good luck

9. Adair350

Adair350 Member

Thanks again B K Hammer!!!

10. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

Adair,
    who was the dealer who helped you out with this ? and about how much did you spend ? I usually use vassars in greenfield but chase and ACT are closer
    Im in South Hadley

11. Adair350

Adair350 Member

BigLou
    I got the plow from Vassar's in greenfield they are Amherst Weldings distributors and they where very knowledgeable and helpful. I will probably go to them for my new plow if that's the way I chose to go. At the time the new plow blade, frame, fittings and pistons where about $3,700 but that was a couple of years ago and I think they ordered some of it as parts.Fisher may or should have a kit to upgrade blades now and it may cost less but check with Vassar's or whomever you want to use as a dealer. good luck and if I can help with anything else let me know Rob

12. sam c

sam c Member

Hey Adair350,
    Have you (or anyone els) done the upgrade? I have a similar situation, but it's a forced decision. I slid through a curve and hit a tree head on at the end of the 12+" storm on the 21st. This is my 9th Fisher over 25 years, and the first accident! guess the odds finally caught up to me. Anyway, the truck is an 02 550, with a MM1 9 1/2' EZV. The blade, A frame, lower gear and push plates are junk. Upper head gear, all hydraulics and wiring is good. I havn't priced out it yet, but I would love to go the route you were talking about. Extreme V conversion. My only reservation is that I found an 06 MM2 9 1/2' EZV complete with intense lights and push plates w/no truck side wiring. For $3200. That route would leave me with a complete ele/hyd setup for spare or sell. and a wreaked plow for spare parts. Price might make the decision. I havn't got a figure from the ins. co. yet either, so I don't know what $ I have to work with. This was only my third storm with the EZV, I was very impressed with the extra capability's of the V but was not so happy when using it in straight blade. Is the Ex. V much better?
    Thanks in advance for any input in the matter, Sam