1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Thinking of swith to Vee. Foreseeable problems/upgrades coming soon?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Jakedaawg, Dec 29, 2013.

1. Jakedaawg

Jakedaawg Senior Member
    from N. Mi

I am thinking of switching from a Boss 8' super duty to a Power V XT 9'2". I have a rural plow route with 42 long twisty drives and one 4acre parking lot.

I have a lot of experience running straight blades but a Vee will be new to me.

It seems that the hinge area is a concern for breaking/cracking. Is this a design issue or operator issue? How do they tend to break and is it avoidable with regular maintenance?

Has anyone heard of anything new and great coming in the next year or two? Should I wait to upgrade?

Any comments or ideas may prove useful.

2. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

You can only help yourself with a V blade, there are no drawbacks compared to a straight blade. I'm not sure if it's Boss' VXT or DXT that have both a trip edge and full trip blade, but if I were in the market for a new V blade, that's the one I'd be looking at for sure. I like my trip edge just fine, but see nothing but good things by having both. Your learning curve will be small, and remember, you can always make your V blade a straight blade as well!

3. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Unless you're completely inept,out of control,and/or have a propensity for destroying things,you will NOT hurt a Boss V plow under proper plowing techniques.Bang into a frozen snow pile with ANY type of plow and anything can and will break.Have had my 9'2 er since 2001,no issues.

4. djagusch

djagusch 2000 Club Member
    from mn

Own a dxt and its a great plow. The trip edge on it works well combined with the full trip edge. The trip edge should reduce hinge damage due to operators.

The only drawback is they weigh more then straight blades or their regular v plow.

The only thing new I see coming or is here is the NGE (wireless system) and depending on who you talk to it does solve some connector plug issues but also opens a can of worms with the wireless side. I owned a snoway wireless the last 2 years and went back to a wired system. Why? To many small issues and lag time.

Slowly I will start selling off my regular boss v plows for dxt's.

5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Here's a secret about Boss v plows,you can turn them into straight blades if you have to.Doing roads with drifts is a big plus ,just don't have it in a complete v,because if you need to back out of a drift you could hang the plow up.You need a little wiggle room just in case.

6. Jakedaawg

Jakedaawg Senior Member
    from N. Mi

Thanks for the suggestions. It is good to hear that someone thinks that it is operator error that causes the issues with the vee-plows. I own my equipment and treat it as such. I have had employees in the past that were not so good about things like this. My own fault really.

My bigest concern is down time. I cannot plow my entire route in a 14 hour day if we get more than 8 inches of wet heavy snow, it only takes me 8 to 10 with 8-10 inches of dry snow.

I am thinking that a fee will speed the process. Less time running truck equals fuel and wear savings.

Again, thanks for the thoughts.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  7. Mr. Mud

Mr. Mud Member

I just ordered my 3rd V plow. I can't imagine ever going back!

8. az landscaping

az landscaping Member
    from mass

Is there any grease fitting on the center of the dxt and if not any problems of it wearing out or loosening up

9. Jakedaawg

Jakedaawg Senior Member
    from N. Mi

Well, I did it. Just purchased a new 9'2" Power V XT. Plowed a little of the feild at the house. I think I am gonna love it after I figure out how to stack the snow without the wings folding back.

10. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Its not a chain lift.as you go into the pile hit the button to raise it at the same time.

11. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

I have fixed the hinge before. NOT on my plows. They were hitting curbs at a good speed. Operator error, plus it is not a D9.
    You sound like you are on the same page as me, as this is your own equipment. You should not have problems.

12. Jakedaawg

Jakedaawg Senior Member
    from N. Mi

13. Jakedaawg

Jakedaawg Senior Member
    from N. Mi

Well, I have a deflector coming in the mail. That will be upgrade #1.

I am going to have to figure out where to put a second battery, I have all the relays mounted where you would normally place one.

I think I am also going to upgrade the battery cables, serpentine belt, alternator, idler and tensioner pulleys. I am getting some squeal on cold (10 F) mornings. Quite a bit of drop on the volt gauge.

I am also going to give the torsion bars a couple of turns.

I did add 900 lbs of ballast and a homemade retainer in the bed.

I will consider timbrens after I tweak the torsion bars and re-evaluate.

14. JustJeff

900 lbs. is a shitload of ballast. You have it all behind the wheel-wells? I'm currently running 700 and thinking about taking a couple of hundred out. I just don't need that much.

15. Jakedaawg

Jakedaawg Senior Member
    from N. Mi

I had 660 in there and was still haveing quite a bit of rear wheel slip, it was also difficult to corner. All 900 is behind the wheels and that seems to be about the right number. Granted, these are sand bags filled at the local hardware that they claim are 60lbs a piece, they could be off because they sure dont feel like 60lbs. Maybe I's a little stronger and younger than I think.

16. JustJeff

I use tube sand from our local ACE as well, and have ten 70Lb. bags against my tailgate. I just don't think I need that much and that all it does is reduce my fuel mileage more than necessary. But whatever works for you!

17. Jakedaawg

Jakedaawg Senior Member
    from N. Mi

I plow a rural route for the most part. Long drives up steep hills, side hill operation, down into ravines and such. If you get hung up its a bit of a chore to say the least. I like to have all four feet planted firmly on the ground. I do do a four acre paved parking lot at a little convention center/wedding hall type thing. I doubt I would need more than a few hundred lbs if I only had accounts like that.

18. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Here's another "secret". You can add wings and you'll almost be as efficient as a xls,wideout or 810pp. Less moving parts and you can take them off when you want to do your drives. Best of both worlds.

wings 005.jpg

19. Jakedaawg

Jakedaawg Senior Member
    from N. Mi

How long does it take to change the wings out? Are there bolts and nuts to deal with or do they just slip in and out and lock on somehow? Are they heavy? Is there a convienient way to store them when not in use in the bed without them sliding all over?

20. Jakedaawg

Jakedaawg Senior Member
    from N. Mi

On A 2010 2500HD plow prep/towprep truck do I need to get an alignment if I turn the torsion bars up a couple of turns?