1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

thinking of switching to the Dogg

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by nalegtx, Sep 27, 2014.

1. nalegtx

nalegtx Senior Member

so i'm not impressed with Douglas Dynamics poor craftsmanship as of late. Looking at either the V or the TE model. i have a 06 ram2500 quad HEMI. anyone have any recommendations? how do you all oike your DOGGs?
  2. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

It's funny how some people say that about DD. We have run Fisher for years and haven't had any problems with them. Personally I don't like snow dogg. I think they are a cheap ripoff of Fisher. If I were to change manufacturers I would go with Boss as they are a very well built plow with a good history behind them. Just remember,as with anything else, you get what you pay for.
  3. JustJeff

JustJeff PlowSite.com Addict

I like mine. Zero trouble with it, and it's put in a lot of work. The above comment about "you get what you pay for" is ********. It's called taking a smaller profit margin to break into a market and get your name and word out. I'd like anybody to point out anything "cheap" on my Dogg. I don't like the jack, but that's about the only complaint that I've got, and it's a small one.
  4. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

You know The V and the expanding plow looks like a Western or a Fisher Gets a person thinking DD has something in that company

Dislike The jack The truck mounts and the lights mount on Some trucks they are way to tall I use to not like the trip edge spring but Now I have same setup on my Protech

Likes The wing kit mount grease able center pin
  5. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

There's only so many ways you can build a plow
  6. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Neither was I after owning around 6 of them, and every one of my friends still owning them with continuous problems/lack of quality control.

The irony of your post wreaks. You start off a reply with that, then go on to bash a product you don't use, don't own, have no experience with, and nothing to compare it to. Why you spend any time in here or jumping on every Snowdogg thread baffles me.
    Completely agree, I'm going on 4 years of 100% trouble free operation with mine. I give it a workout each time out - 25-30 Vacant properties that are plowed a day after a storm has completed. Busting through 3-5' tall frozen snowbanks from town trucks, and clearing the rest of the driveway of hard packed day old settled snow. Including parking lots like the one in my signature. Nothing has broken, nothing has snapped, no dents in my moldboard, NOTHING has gone wrong. Hence my love for this plow and annoyance when people wrongfully put it down because of price.

So true. With an attitude like that, he must hate Toyota/Honda. Ford/Chevy/Dodge, Meyer/Boss, etc. ALL tear apart competitors products and use their idea's in their products.

To the OP - as I mentioned I've owned DD plows myself and they were good plows. I just thought for the price of the new plows nothing stood out to me as being THAT much better than the competitors. The center pin issues with the Xtreme V's really had me worried so I started looking elsewhere. I had 2 Boss plows at my old work and they worked well but once again I wasn't overly impressed - but I DID like them. If Boss made a tripe edge V plow I'd probably have one, but at the time they didn't. That left me with Meyer which I also wasn't terribly impressed with. Too slow of a plow honestly. I also liked Stainless (my plow at the time was a 8' Fisher X Blade. I liked being able to remove the skin and touch up the supports keeping rust from building up).

That left me with Snowdogg. I would look at them at every fair, read here about them, send PM's to Scott Moorman asking questions, etc. He responded same day to my PM's and that alone meant a lot. When Comparing the build of my plow to others, everything is thicker gauge steel and built more rugged. It also weighed a lot more then the competitors which doesn't equal quality, but to me meant it was more rugged and/or overbuilt.

I liked the trip edge, the adjustable trip springs, stainless moldboard, SIMPLE electronics (Relay system, no computers to screw up), Deflector included for free, larger 2" lift cylinder, hydraulics that were quick (not as fast as Boss/Fisher), small things like rubber strips on the frame that meets the stainless skin to prevent rust/chaffing, controller that blinks out codes to tell you what is going wrong with it, additional wings that are also made of stainless and actually add width rather than make it into a scoop plow like the DD wings, etc.

I got mine for $4300 out the door, cash and carry that I had to assemble myself. Prices have changed a bit with the Flared VXF but I still think they are a great plow for the money.
  7. djagusch

djagusch 2000 Club Member
    from mn

Do some research on here. Their support is great but have had their issues. Make sure you have a great dealer if you go with them.
  8. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

I wouldn't buy another one......
  9. nalegtx

nalegtx Senior Member

thanks for the responses everyone. I really appreciate it. Like Plowguy said, I've looked at these things every year and try and scrutinize them. I'm definitely not a fan of the attachment system but i guess for saving $2k i can get over it...lol. Just so hard to convince myself to move away from the Fisher brand because i've read a few reviews about how people don;t like them between the hook-up method and some people say their hydro system is very slow. I'll have to go play with one locally i guess, hands on kinda thing.
  10. JustJeff

JustJeff PlowSite.com Addict

My hydraulics are far from slow.
  11. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I know the one I installed I didn't think Hydraulics was slow at all
    It was a MD7.5 or 8' I forgot
  12. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I thought the dog was a grayhound.
  13. plowguy43

If you want to message me your email address I can take a video of me hooking up. And another of it going through the paces. I just have no idea how to post those things on a forum like this.

Attaching is nearly identical to a Fisher, except that if your truck is higher than the plow, the jack can bring it up to level. Then the pins just lock in place like a Fisher. 2 plugs to hook up and done.
  14. Ray

Ray PlowSite.com Veteran

If my plow ever gets done at Candia Trailer I could always swing by on my way home for you to check one out.
  15. plowguy43

The irony - I bought my plow from them, cash & carry LOL.
  16. nalegtx

nalegtx Senior Member

I was actually talking to those guys last year and he said everyone loves the products so far. If i get one it will definitely be from them. They were super patient and nice on the phone, and i for one appreciate that after working 7 years in the automotive industry. I'm all over the place everyday but i appreciate the offer. i'f i can get rid of my beat up MM Fisher i'll get a dogg this year! Just sux i bent the blade in the middle and it has a slight "v" shape to it, not bad still functional everyday but the metal is now weak. It all happened when i pushed snow for a guy who flagged me down....i know i know never do a driveway you don't know. But he had 2 BMW's in the garage so i doubled my price plus a little extra and got cash on the spot....anyway
  17. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

It's funny you mentioned your fisher bending in the middle. I have seen a lot of fishers do that and that's why My new plow is not a fisher.
  18. Bunky1

Bunky1 Member

I've had mine for 6 years now and I have never had anything go bad. Super fast hydraulics. My only ***** is the plow to truck hookup. Once it is on you are OK but it can be a pain. I am lucky that I have a shop that I can mount my plow. So far NOOO rust except on the cutting edge. Let me quantify. Here in Maryland we do not get all that much snow. But when we do it can be heavy and deep. I love this. Great price and a little lighter then others which makes hauling around on the front of a 1500 Ram easier. Easy to mount the mount onto the truck if you so desire. Wiring is easy and everything is encluded. Hardest part was installing the headlight pigtails. Not because of the pigtails but the headlight design. Love this PLOW