1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Thinking of starting my own buisness

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by CSLC, Mar 8, 2008.

1. CSLC

CSLC Senior Member

I am new to the forum but not necessairly the buisness. I am younger only 22, but I am foreman for a company doing brick block n stone work. Also an equipment operator. I know how to put up fences and know how to do small construction/remodel jobs. I am thinking about starting my own landscaping/construction/snow plowing buisness on the side. like nights n weekends thing. I was wondering if you guys can give me some feedback on what and how I should do it. I do not really have any body that can help me out outside of here. I would appreciate all advice...Thanks Brian
  2. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

You have to be able to work 24/7 when it comes to plowing. If you have another job that you need for income/insurance than you have to ask yourself if you can take off time to go out plowing or will you loose your job? Landscaping construction on the other hand you can schedule when you like. The fact that you don't have anybody to help you might be better off subbing for a company than starting your own now. The fact that you can make good money when it snows makes some think they can take off work to go plow. But what often happens is they loose their job because they are call off. Not saying you but I know people that it's happened to. good luck
  3. JK828

JK828 Junior Member

I have owned my remodeling/snow removal company for 17 years and have learned th folowing:
    1- Your remodeling customers don't care about your snow removal clients. They want their project finished in a timely manner especially if you are working in their kitchen or bathroom.
    2- Your snow removal customers don't care about your remodeling customers. They want clean driveways and sidewalks regardless of your other commitments.

Before you take on any sort of work, make sure you have someone to help when you need them. Keep customers on both sides of your business happy. Good luck.
  4. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

contruction n remoldeling guys dont usually work in snow right???
  5. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

i dno i see them fools draggin there trailers around in the worst of weather. if ur working inside y wouldnt u work everyday. if u didnt it would seem like mis managment to me
  6. SteveJ

SteveJ Senior Member

I understand you are only 22, so I'm not sure if you know the song by AC/DC, actually on their album "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap" from 1981. Now I would think you were born in
    '86 so you might know the album. There is one song on there called "Big Balls".

That's the only thing you need to start your own business. :D

Nuff said,
  7. JK828

JK828 Junior Member

Other than roofing, our construction projects don't stop because of snow.
  8. PORTER 05

PORTER 05 Senior Member

really depends on how much work you are going to take on , the consruction part you can work around with youre normal job thats not so hard, but plowing is another story....you have to be on-call 24/7 no vavcations no nothing, but sitting and watching the weather-

when i was 20 i worked at a ski-mountain and had maybe 20 plow accouts also, the mountain was 1 hr aways from my house where all my accounts and plow truck was, they would call my house maybe 20 times before i got there, it was tough, im know 24 and have over 70 plow accoutns and maybe somewhere around 150 landscape accounts, brother works with me and have 2 other employess and do nothing but this - so if youre willing to do it it most likly will work out if you work hard and put in youre time and devote EVERYTHING to it all youre time and all you re MONEY!< good-luck!
  9. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

First thing you might want to do is read through the Smal Business Admin (SBA) site; then find out what licensing, permits and insurance you need for the businesses you plan in your state/town. Many people start businesses part time while holding a day job. Gives you income while you get started. Just think it out and make realistic plans. The SBA can help.

10. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Definately check on insurance. You should be able to manage both snow removal and construction work with some careful planning.
  11. VBigFord20

VBigFord20 Senior Member

I'm in the same boat as you right now. I work for a company 3-4 days a week since I have worked there from when I was 17 and they pay my insurance. Is is also nice to have some money to fall back on in case things are slow.

The rest of the time I work for me doing what your talking about, remodeling, hardscapes, cement and masonry (my specialtyand main focus in the summer) and plowing.

I can tell you that it is hard and your have to be dedicated. I lost money last year because I bought a lot of equipment and stuff I needed. This year I am on track to profit a decent amount. When in start up mode, I highly recommend having at least 10K in the bank just in case. I know for some people thats hard to do but to me I know damn well you need that money there in case all else fails and you have no work or need a new machine like yesterday.

Oh, I can't stress this enough, ORGANIZATION! Keep track of every $ in and out. It will make things a hell of a lot simpler when you do taxes and when you want to know how well your actually doing. Pick up Quickbooks, its worth the money.

Its a challenge, but the results are worth it.