1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Thinking of Plowing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Husky, Jun 30, 2004.

1. Husky

Husky Junior Member

Hi, all, I am new to this site here and I have some questions.

I have the money on hand to buy a used truck and outfit it with a plow..

***What truck am I looking for,?

***Type of plow?

***How do I advertise and who too, how do I get the solid business to carry me through winter and back to my lawn care company?

***Is snow blowing driveways and sidewalks for homeowners a better idea than doing plowing for residential and commercial customers?

I***s plowing for your state transpotation department worth wild?

Just soom rookie questions....I am using the search engine now,,I have found some intresting stuff,, good site,,but please feel free to bring all my searches to one post...I'd appreciate it,,and can look back at them easily
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Have you ever plowed snow before? Are you familiar with the Small Business Administration? Truck - could use anything with a frame and maybe without if you used a bumper-mounted plow, but generally you want a 3/4 or more. Plow - many good brands out there. Depends on what you intend to do with it (like how much business, etc). Advertising - just like lawn care, to those with a potential need. Local shopper, notice in local store and word-of-mouth is best. State DOT - maybe after you get some experience. Driveways and sidewalks vs residential/commercial - I'd suggest getting a few residential drives to start and make up your own mind after a year or so - really depends on local conditions and your circumstances.

Lastly - get with your local SBA rep and get a Business Plan developed to incorporate snow plowing into your lawn care business. You may find it's not lucrative at all.
  3. Husky

Husky Junior Member

thanks for the reply...

i have a question though,,,...

do I try and carry contracts for residential custoemrs...or do i go door to door,,,,or both

and how do you charge even for a driveway,,,maybe just in your area,,,how do i go about it,,,id plow and shovel the walk ways and side walk on the properties too,,just wondering what you though

and if u add salt for them,,how much more,,,most are you common residential 1/4 acre lot,,drive way not to long,,wide enoguh for two vehicles..what do you think,,thansk for the reply
  4. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

doing a search on pricing or charge or the like will give you enough reading till snow is flying LOL, every place is different though, and you can only charge what the market will bear. I will say that IMO doing plowing and shoveling at the same time is a bad idea. Having a guy riding with you shoveling is a bit inefficient and will slow you down a schoche(this is bad) but doing it yourself will make it worse. It would be best to run a deticated sidewalk crew and plowing crew IMO

I say this alot but IMO it is a good idea for someone who has never plowed before to try being a sub contractor for another plowing outfit the first year or so. Its a great way to learn the ropes and you just have to worry about plowing not any thing else.

I always though getting a gated comunity or townhouse or condo association would be cool. Get all those drives in a very tight/efficeint area plus the road ways.

You will probably hear this alot but get INSURANCE!!!