1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Thinking of ideas to switch to bulk salt?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Lasher66, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Lasher66

Lasher66 Member

Ok, I have snow ex 1075 tailgate salt spreader that I heard of people running bulk through them successfully with a vibrator attachment. Now the next part I am trying to figure out is hauling the salt in my truck. Do you guys think building a 1 cu/yd box of some sort in the bed of my truck to hold the bulk salt and then I can just shovel it into the spreader will work. I might have a hookup with a local landscape company that will sell me bulk for way cheaper than bagged and Im trying to figure out the best way to do it. I know its going to have to be covered and I will go through the hole box every salting event so it wont be sitting in it to long to harden. Just wanted some ideas. Thanks

2. Moonlighter

Moonlighter Senior Member

You could get one of those outdoor garden box deals I have one I keep my fuel cans in, I have herd of many people doing this, there should be a few threads about it.

3. monson770

monson770 Senior Member

i was thinking about doing the same thing with my dads truck for salting lots, and i have had experience with fiberglass, so i had the idea of using it for that same idea.. it won't rust, it's light, and you can mold it to your truck box so u can carry the max, amount of salt you need for the storm, and remove it easily after each storm, not to mention easier to scoop out of due to it's durabiltiy and smoothness..

the one thing i thought very nessecary is that he has a tonneu covor to keep it dry while it snows, and driving etc.... so keeping it covord, unles u have a tonneu, would be another idea in its self...

let me know if you need help with fiberglassing, it's pretty simple and almost all resin containers come with instructions, so it's pretty easy. u will want to make sure there are no air bubbles in between your layers or it will comprimise your strength..

4. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

I thought about this last year and was going to use a tote. I wanted to cut the top off and then angled it down about half way on the back side so that it would be easier to shovel out of. I thought it wold work well but haven't tried bulk yet. I figured if I didn't use it all I would be able to just use my loader and set the whole tote in the barn to keep it dry.

, shaun

5. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

Sounds like potential for a mess. I imagine it would be all over the back of the truck by the end of the night as well as your pants and boots. Inevitably it will be tracked inside the truck. I would see how much salt you plan on using and think hard if it's worth it or not. I prefer bagged salt. We use around 90klbs/year and for me I like the convenience and cleanliness of bags. Not to mention I can unload the remnants of what's left after a storm, say if it's a light dusting or only part of the route gets hit.

6. Lasher66

Lasher66 Member

I was thinking just take a good pallet and build sides on it and a plywood bottom.

7. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I used to shovel salt out of the bed into a tailgate spreader. It work ok but it took a toll on my dumpbed insert. If your going through that much salt per storm, it's time for a v box. But if thats not in the picture at this time then do what ya can. If it were me, I would build a bed insert out of treated lumber. Mine would be pretty easy to make.....presuming you have an 8ft bed, just get a 4x8 sheet of treated plywood, 4- 8ft 2x4's frame in the bottom and a few more 2x4's for supports under the plywood. Then I would build up the sides with the same material's then paint it with some exterior paint. You can just use a trap to cover it with, you dont want to seal it up, just cover it enough so it won't get wet from rain or snow. You could drill in eyelets on the sides to keep the tarp from blowing everywhere and if you need more holes in the tarp, any hardware store should have a grommet making kit, I got one at Harbor Freight for like 5 bucks and came with about 20 grommets then bungie the tarp down.

8. DodgeBlizzard

DodgeBlizzard Senior Member

Bulk is a different animal. It doesn't always come dry like bagged salt. It can freeze overnight if you leave it outside and it gets pretty cold. Maybe its time to jump up to a bigger vbox style. As far as the vibrators go.....The key is having dry salt. If its dry, it will flow. If not, then a vibrator will help.

9. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

That's 45 tons of salt.

I don't know about you, but I like to make money, and I see about 3k left on the table by using bagged.

10. Dig-It-Landscap

Dig-It-Landscap Junior Member

In past years I have had to do the same thing with a couple trucks. The easiest and cheapest way is to use 1 ton sacks, like the farmers use for seed. They have fork loops at the top so you can load and unload them. You can shovel out of them pretty easily and can fit up to 2500 lbs. When the storm is over you can lift it out of the truck and pull the rip cord on the bottom to spill whats left back into the pile. They only cost about $6-8 each and last a long time unless you load and unload a lot while they are full, then you will only get about 3-4 loadings per bag.

I have since switched to v boxes, and imo it is well worth it. I have 1 truck that runs 50lb bags, its just easier than the bulk for a tailgate spreader.

11. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

Like you I too like to make money. However, building a storage bin costs money, a V-box costs more than a tailgate spreader, loading bulk takes a toll on the skidsteer or loader, and I'm not sure about how well bulk stores over the summer when leftover but I have no problem storing bagged. I have no doubt I would make more with bulk but for me right now bagged simply works better. My location and setup doesn't lends itself to using bulk (storing, loading, leftover, etc.) but if we continue to gain more salting locations then obviously it will start to cost much more to continue with bagged salt.

12. tjjn06

tjjn06 Member
    from Ohio

Lasher66,
    We did exactly this with out 1075 last year. If you (or anyone interested in doing this) have any questions feel free to pm me and I will give you my contact info. I will be happy to talk with you about the good and bad of the set up.

13. tjjn06

tjjn06 Member
    from Ohio

Did you have the bags delivered full, or fill them yourself? We now have a vbox along with our 1075, but no longer have a place to put loose bulk salt.

Was thinking about seeing if any of our suppliers deliver them in one ton bag form.

14. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

FYI, John Deere Landscapes will deliver bulk bagged salt in 1ton bags like you describe. Cost is the same as bagged and you still need a place to hold the remainder after the storm.

15. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

Two of our trucks have tailgaters. We use them for the farther out of the area places. We just buy decent rubbermaid containers. Usually 3 per truck and fill them then put lids on them. Guys just shovel it out and int the hopper. A 5 gal bucket to scoop it is usually easier. As long as your bulk is stored indoors and you load it and spread it in the same night, you will be fine. If your salt is kept outside or left in hopper, it will never work. So just buy rubbermaid containers. If the cover start to fly off, just put a bungie strap around it.

16. tjjn06

tjjn06 Member
    from Ohio

Thanks for the info. We were filling the bag we have ourselves. I figured the one ton bags filled would be more than standard bulk, but wow, didn't think they would be that much. In this area, and all the calls puts the cost of 50lb bag at twice as much as bulk delivered.

We got the vbox used and it has not yet been through full inspection to ensure proper working order. Since we lost our place to hold bulk salt we have not been in a hurry to work on this unit.

17. rv4jesus

rv4jesus Member

Here's what I did

Scroll to near the end of the post

The box worked out pretty well. It is made out of 2x12's and 3/4" 4x8 CDX plywood, it is partitioned in thirds, holds just about exactly a yard (26.95 sq feet) and slides in under a deck where the shovels and a light blower will go. The beauty of it is I can get a yard bucket dumped in without taking the cap off. I put buckets in front that I take out at the shop to keep the weight down. It is a bit of a hassle to mess with the buckets but I think it will be worth it.

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=128202

18. Dig-It-Landscap

Dig-It-Landscap Junior Member

When I used the 1 ton bags my supplier charged $10 extra per ton. That included filling the bag and the cost of the bag. The bags are reusable.

19. tjjn06

tjjn06 Member
    from Ohio

Who were you using at the time?

20. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

By using bulk over bagged I am saving around 8K a season in material. And that is treated clearlane over regular bagged rock salt. I go through around 50 tons. But I dont have to store it as we have a large salt supplier who is open 24/7 during the winter and we pre purchase our salt and get weighed in and out on the scale. I was in your boat as well until I found this supplier using bagged. Hopefully you can figure out a way to store bulk and start increasing your profits.