1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Thinking of going Meyer

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by Sawboy, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Like the title says. I'm thinking of going with a 9.5' Meyer Super V2. Looks like Meyer has made massive improvements over the last few years. Between their aggressive pricing and 12mos deferred payments, and the improvements.........I'm thinking of making the jump. Add to all that, John of John's Garage for dealer support and it looks REAL good.

Any real world experiences would be great. Please limit the input from those that own them. Not interested in "my brothers friend, on my uncles side, twice removed from the parakeet" stories. :laughing:

2. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

I've never had any major issues with meyer plows. I've broken every part on them, but my use is extreme. Generally, everything can be fixed if it breaks, and most of the "technical" problems can be managed through proper maintenance.

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Meyer has come a long way in the last few years. I have never ran the new V2 but the one person I know off running one walks by Boss, Western and Snowdawg Vees to his preference a Meyer Vee2

4. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

Very high quality plow, I've loved mine so far.

The one problem I had was with the connector for the control, a pin started pulling out so it would intermittently lose ground. It is easy to diagnose, because the controller blinks a certain number of times to tell you which wire is disconnected, and the list is molded in the plastic on the controller. I replaced it with an aftermarket mil-spec connector I got from work, it would be easy to epoxy the pins in the OEM connector from the back to prevent that problem from new.

I have compared side by side with my neighbors extreme V, and I like my setup better in pretty much every way.

And after this past storm in CT, I can't say I've been easy on it, and it held up very nicely. A huge step up from my western straight blade.

If you have any specific questions for me about the blade/truck, or would like pictures of my setup, let me know. I highly recommend the plow.

5. jasonv

from kannada

I think my biggest complaint regarding meyer plows was the closed-in sections in the blade itself. They *used to* use the open face of steel angle irons to reinforce the skin, which created an unpainted/partially_sealed section that would rust like crazy from the inside out. From the pictures on their website, it would appear that they've changed from this to using steel plate, which is far far better.

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

There aren't many similarities between your Meyer and the ones they make today.

7. jasonv

from kannada

Aside from that difference I mentioned, they're practically identical.

8. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

They are not even close to similar, nevermind identical. Have you even seen a V2 in person? Please leave this thread, you have no clue what you are talking about on this subject.

9. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

Sawboy,
    I should also add, for what it's worth, that part of my consideration for going with the V2 was the low financing rate, which was very easy to set up. I don't have a dealer real close by to me, but that would be true pretty much regardless of the brand.

Again, let me know if there is any specific information or pictures you would like of my setup, happy to answer any questions you may have.

10. jasonv

from kannada

You obviously missed the part about how I was comparing what I have from the mid 80's against obviously the EQUIVALENT part that is made right now. As I said, NO SIGNIFICANT DIFFERENCE. In fact, parts are bolt-on interchangeable.

11. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

Ok you must be right, the trip springs probably interchange. Plus I guess the OP didn't specifically mention looking at a V2. Oh, wait, yes he did.

I will assume you haven't seen a V2, and will also assume you didn't see the part where the OP asked people that didn't have any experience with a modern Meyer plow to not provide input (for reference please read post #1). Have you seen a Meyer Lot Pro in person?

12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I'm beginning to think you really do speak Kannada and there are translation issues. The moldboard radius is different, the height is different, the pump is different, the lights are different, the harnesses are different. the quadrant is different, the A frame is different, the mounting system is different, etc. Now they did treat their dealers nicely and retained interchangeability in some hydraulic (they have modified angle rams for example so one part number services all units though not the V2) and consumable parts so there was not a requirement to inventory two part numbers.

There is nothing similar between the two in the way they operate, mount or perform.

13. jasonv

from kannada

Those are minor/insignificant differences.

Barely
    Same
    There are several wiring options, some of which are... you got it... SAME.
    That is an interesting observation that is totally inaccurate. Quadrants are the same. A-frame is *similar*, and differs only so much to make it line up to the *legally required* different mounting system. In fact, you can bolt the old a-frame straight on to the new quadrant to mount to the old style mounts. You can even straight bolt on the old quadrant to a new blade, or a new quadrant to an old blade.

Huh? They only made very very minor changes to comply with LAWS. Hence the current configuration with removable lift frame.

Operation is **identical**.
    Mount is changed for compliance with current LAW.
    Performance is **identical**.

14. jasonv

from kannada

Blanket statements were made about meyer *changing*. No, they're generally the same. V2? Compare that to a WHAT, SPECIFICALLY? If you want me to provide observations regarding meyer as a whole, it is going to have to be made based on product ENHANCEMENT, not things that are completely different. Those products that evolved from earlier versions are barely different at all from their earlier counterparts.

Why? Well there really wasn't anything so significantly wrong with the earlier counterparts. If its not broken, don't fix it. Simple.

15. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

Where to start:

Hydraulics: meyer now uses monarch hydraulics. Completely, totally, in every way different from the e 47 unit that you apparently think still exists under the surface. In fact, it's a completely different brand/designer.

Steel: Uses interlocking welded ribs, not formed "angle iron". Much different construction that any idiot could realize at first glance when they actually see one in person, which you obviously haven't.

Mounting system: 2 captive pins, spring loaded. Completely and totally different from 10 years ago. You drive the truck until you start to push the plow, then get out and engage 2 pins

Wiring: One plug. Relays for headlights so you don't have to hack your OEM wiring. Totally different.

Steel: Yes I guess they both used steel, so you are correct there.

Flags: Yes I guess they both use yellow flags, those should be interchangeable.

And no one, including the OP, asked you for any input/observations. Now please leave this thread alone until you have at least seen one of the plows in question in person, or, better yet, used one.

16. jkski

jkski Member

I run 2 of the Meyer Super V2's, and 8.5 and a 9.5 and love them both. I have plowed with Meyer for years and the new V's are really easy to use and dependable. Meyer gets a lot of bashing over the past and it's just that, the past as the plow you are talking about is the new Meyer and you won't be dissappointed. The speed is fine, the ease of hook-up and disconnect is fast and simple and, like all of the other brands, if you do the maintenance it will not let you down.

If I can be of any help answering other questions just shoot me a pm.

17. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

I think sawboy would like it if you sent him some pictures :drinkup:

18. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Lol. Yeah. I can add them to the 30 or so I have now.

19. jkski

jkski Member

I will spare you the pics as one looks just like the other and proof is in the quality and way it performs when the white stuff is falling/mounding up. Mine have never let me down!
    Good luck in your purchase, Meyer is a solid company with great products and dealer support in my opinion.

20. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Jason - do you hang out on a river in Egypt?