1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Thinking of buying 02 sierra 2500

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by melsa1, Jan 18, 2005.

1. melsa1

melsa1 Junior Member

I want to do some part time plowing i am looking at a 2002 gmc sierra 2500 sle with a 6.0.
    I dont know what it means the dealer says it has a prep package. The vin number is:IGTHK23U42F238215 CREW CAB. The sales person says $21,999 plus $4995.00 for the curtis snow plow.
    I request you guys with plowing experience to steer me in the right direction.
    I do not want to do this for a full time job but i want to buy some vehicle that is of use more than just being a transport vehicle. If i bought a car for 25,000 i would just be using to drive to work and home. I am a owner of a 2 bay repair shop so i could use it plow my own place plus a couple of people with gas stations.
    Any and all suggesstions are welcome.
  2. calhoun

calhoun Senior Member

If you are asking about price than just for a reference. I bought a new 04 2500hd sle reg cab 6.0 with lots of options. Sticker was 32,430. With all the rebates etc I drove off with it for 24,650 and 2.9% for 5 years. Priced a new Snoway 7.5 it was about 3800.
    The plow prep package has options that help with the plow. It varies by year so I don't know what was included in 02. in 04 it includes a bigger alternater (145amp), skid plates, switch and wires for a roof beacon etc.
    You asked for an opinion. Great truck will plow well seems high priced. Plow seems real high priced. For your limited use a personel use plow (snoway) will work well. (about $1200)
    Most here will comment on that last recomendation.
  3. gcsupraman

gcsupraman Senior Member

You need to be more specific about the truck. Is it a regular cab, ext cab, quad cab? Is it a HD model? If it is a regular cab WAY WAY over priced - even the plow seems over priced. Youl could get an 8 foot fisher (or almost any high quality plow for that matter) between $3500 and $4000 installed. If it's a regular cab you shouldn't pay more than 20k and that would be full retail price.

4. drplow

drplow Senior Member

its a great truck but definitely get the plow prep package. it will help with warranty problems better if you have it. if you buy the truck they should sell you the plow for a steal. thats if they want your business bad enough.
  5. new2it

new2it Member

Few months back picked up GMC 04 2500HD ext cab short box 6.0L. Granted it didn't have any options besides AC and plow/towing prep packages, I think I made out ok with the truck and 8' MM2 for 25K. Sounds like you may be paying more for a truck that is a few years older. Might want to look around for a better deal. My $.02.
  6. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

You'd have to get that price on the truck down below $20K , and the price for the plow seems outrageous. Not that Curtis is a bad plow, but your paying more than V and Scoop plows cost installed!

If your a repair shop,....install the plow yourself and save some money. Plow shouldn't cost more than $3K
  7. redhenny16

redhenny16 Senior Member

I checked the vin# and this truck does have the VYU snowplow prep, and it also has TP2 aux. battery which I think is a plus. This truck also has a GMPP Major Guard extended warranty which could be transferred to you if you bought it. It has never been in for warranty work other than the original pre delivery inspection. That sounds a little strange, so it's either a very good truck or the original owner didn't take good care of it. It looks like a nice truck with alot of nice options, but the price is a little high. The price on the plow is way high. I would buy a Boss or Western. I've owned both and they are good plows. My truck is a 2002 GMC crew cab short bed with a Boss V. Best truck I've ever owned.
  8. melsa1

melsa1 Junior Member

Thanks redhenny16 best reply

Thanks for your time i really liked the truck. It is great looking room features etc. I really am interested in the truck. I thank u again because i was after a ford and had no idea of a chevvy for plowing.
  9. gcsupraman

gcsupraman Senior Member

You still never gave us any details about the truck :confused:
  10. redhenny16

redhenny16 Senior Member

gcsupraman, it's a 2002 GMC 2500HD crew cab short bed SLE with a 6 liter engine.
  11. drplow

drplow Senior Member

awesome truck :drinkup:
  12. BigRedBarn

BigRedBarn Senior Member

Seems like everyone wants crew cabs these days, and it seems like there're not a lot of used ones out there so the price goes up due to demand.

In a few years there'll be a lot more used crew cabs as new ones are selling in pretty good numbers now. But until then...
  13. grassmanvt

grassmanvt Senior Member
    from Vermont

Like everyone else said, nice truck and if this were two years back and there wasn't all sorts of rebates it would be a good buy. Stil not terrible depending on the mileage/condtion. Plow is definitlaly over priced, especially since we are well into the season and most dealers are starting to give better discounts on whats left. Also, when consider a new truck, after all the rebates, commercial incentive(I think you mentioned you had a business) and not to mention a full warranty. Also, an 02' might need tires by now etc. Just my two cents but I just went through the same thing in the fall and ended up with a new one, even though I'm a cheap s.o.b, I ended up getting almost 12k off of sticker on the truck alone.
  14. melsa1

melsa1 Junior Member

I rally love the truck

I looked inside and out i really love the truck. It is very clean and lots of room etc. The dealer rep did not even want to talk about the price i saw the price on KBB.COM private party value is $17,000 the rep said that $21999.00 wont go down i mean bluntly no come on down lets sit and talk etc.
    The thing is that it is snow season and saturday in nj there is going to be 19" snow so i think they expect someone to just buy it. I am going to wait and see
    the truck does not have a plow on it that is extra.
  15. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

For that year, your in Duramax range in the 22-24K area. Keep looking around. Don't fall in love with the first nice truck. There will always be another one. These days, with the price of new trucks, people tend to take real good care of them.

I'd definately look for another plow dealer though....that or tell him that you only want to buy ONE snowplow, not two!