1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Thinking of blower engine swap

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by JMHConstruction, Nov 17, 2015.

1. JMHConstruction

JMHConstruction PlowSite.com Addict

I have a cheap 24" craftsman 2 stage blower I purchased a few years ago as a backup/extra 2 stage, after we got a 22" storm. Checked all my dealers and other stores and Sears had this basic homeowner blower that was the last one in the city. Regardless I needed an extra blower that could handle the large amounts of snow we had gotten. Now I have it, but it's so underpowered I never use it. I think it has a 179cc engine.

Anyway, I usually leave this thing and take out my others for the crew to use. I have a harbor freight powerwasher that I use for deck cleanups, and I have never had a problen with it. It has a Honda clone 6.5 HP Predator engine. I've done some research and found the guys who run go carts love these engines. They're also really cheap. Right now the 6.5 HP is on sale for $100. I have seen other "snowblower engines" online, but they are almost as much as I payed for the damn thing.

I was wondering if anyone has swapped out one of these engines to a snowblower. Like I said before, this is a backup. I'm not too worried how long it lasts because of the price. I just need someone a little more powerful, to handle the only storms I use it in. I also worry because it has an air filter, and I know that none of my blowers have an air filter. I've also never used my powerwasher in the cold, and wasn't sure how these cheap engines start and perform in the cold. There are videos and things online about guys who have done this, just curious if anyone has done it on a professional level.

I think I know what everyone will say, that I shouldn't go cheap. But I figure it's worth asking. Thanks guys.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

First. Measure the crank diameter, and length. That's the most important thing. Next would be mounting holes, but you can work around that.
    Remove the air filter and just use the outter housing. If it's got a choke, make sure 100% that it closes ALL THE WAY. And last put either 10w,,,or 5w for the oil

3. JMHConstruction

From what I've already seen online, everything should match up, but I'll check it out to be sure. When you say remove the filter and just use the outter housing, do you mean just leave it empty? Do I need to try and seal it up? I know it has a choke, I'll make sure it closes up. Thanks for the help

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

No snowblower has air filters. They just have a cover over the carb. So that's why I said remove the filter, but keep the housing

5. JMHConstruction

Thumbs Up gotcha! Thanks!