1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

thinking of bidding for my HOA

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Donny O., Sep 7, 2007.

1. Donny O.

Donny O. Senior Member

I live in a neighborhood that has private roads and a HOA and that pays for street repair, plowing, lights, etc. I was thinking of bidding for the plowing this year. figure i'm doing some driveways in the neighborhood, and backing out of my drive and i'm at the job site so why not. anyway i think they said it normaly takes 2-3 hours to plow all the streets and a 2" trigger. here is a map of the area. it is just the numbered roads....road 1-9, and n. lakeshore drive along the water, but not the cross streets(ridge and iva) as those are county roads. the star is my house. BTW the streets are moslty 12' wide with no curbs....1 block is 16' wide.

MAP OF AREA!!!

So any opinions on a fair hourly rate? i realizze all areas are different and all of that. i know what they paid last year and will share it after i hear some others opinions!! jsut wanna see if it is inline!!
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2007
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

$130/hr. But I think you might want to take a closer look at how many hours it'll take. At 12' wide, using that 7.5' plow, you'll be making at least two passes - three for "curb to curb" (yes, I say that "no curb") and cleanup.

Why won't you be doing "Ridge" and "Iva"? How about Lakeshore?
  3. Donny O.

Donny O. Senior Member

I was just told that it normaly took the last guy 2-3 hours....might have been 2.5-3 hours. if my calculations are right it is about 2.5 miles of road. ridge and iva are county roads so the county plow does those....and yes I would be doing lakeshore.

something else to add is that living here I was unhappy with the job the guy did. he was always here early and had us plowed long before the county plows did the main roads, but there were times I ended up re doing certain spots that I had to drive through cuz he didn't do that great. some corners were barely wide enough for me to make it around in my truck so I would widen it as I went through. I think him not being on these roads much maybe and he didn't know where the road meets the lawn. I have lived in this neighborhood since I was 1 and know the roads very well. if your nto pushing it back from the road where are you gonna put the snow from the next storm!!
  4. rayf268

rayf268 Senior Member

now you'll have the whole hood yelling at you for plowing there drives shut :gunsfiring:

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Where would you be putting the snow? across the street from Iva Dr.? That is if you pushed it from lakeshore west to Iva, (most places it is illegal to do so). How long is each road, and is there enough room to put all the snow or do you need a loader to come in and move piles back? I would bid it for $140.00 an hour. Oh and do they need salt ever?
  6. Donny O.

Donny O. Senior Member

the street from Iva to Ridge is about 800 feet....so 1/4 mile from Iva to Lakeshore on average(some longer some shorter. also the west half of road 8 does not get done....that is actually Ridge road...that is why on the map 'road 8' is listed on the other side. the snow is jsut pushed off the side of the road into peoples yards and no need for a loader or anything. as for salt/sand the only thing we do is after the snow has stopped and the plowing is done they pay the county to come sand the streets with hills....the east half of the roads(ridge to lakeshore) go downhill to the lake.
  7. Plowfast9957

Plowfast9957 Senior Member

Well you have to figure it took him 3 hours to do a crappy job it will probably take you more like 3.5 to do a better job. What did he have for equipment?
  8. Donny O.

Donny O. Senior Member

well honestly I think the guy lied about how long it took him but maybe not. maybe I just wasnt' in the right place at the right time to see him in the neighborhood that long. anyway i think he had a 3/4 ton chevy with a 7.5 or 8' western.

BTW here is a video of my truck working.....jsut in this it is pulling not pushing!!

my 92 f150 working!!
  9. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

I think it's nuts to consider a neighborhood contract with a half ton truck and light duty plow. Your truck is 16 years old, and unless you've added another one to the fleet, you don't have a backup truck for this account.

Also, did you actually measure the road width or was it a windshield glance? With a fire truck being upwards of 10 feet wide, are you saying that there's just a foot on both sides of an emergency vehicle passing through your neighborhood? I find it hard to believe a municipality would permit the construction of roads where vehicles can't pass each other.

I applaud your ambition, but I'm skeptical of your true grasp of this project. Bring back a little more info & then we can all give a better recommendation.

10. Donny O.

Donny O. Senior Member

as for my truck my suspention has been beefed up a little....back is 3/4(or more) ton springs and airbags on the front....like I said a little but nothing major as everything else is stock. but your right still maybe more than I should tackle so that is soemthing to think about.

as for backup the guy that lives across the street from me has a plow as well and we are each others backups. plus I have another friend one street over with a plow to back me up and another friend 3 streets over with a plow as well.

yes the roads are 12' wide except for part of road 4. it was gravel til a few years back when they started putting houses there and they made it 16' when they blacktoped it. they are widening all the roads eventually when the HOA has the money. I think 2 are to be widened this year still to 16 foot and mostly for the emergency vehicles to get through. as of right now the roads are no more than a shared driveway to all our houses....and I have done driveways that are longer and wider than my street.

again this is all just thinking and weighing things right now and i appreciate the feedback as yes this would be the biggest single job I have ever tackled. this is my 3rd and by far the best plow truck I have owned and i have lots of faith in it after running it last winter. it pushed more snow easier than I thought it would. hell it pulled that sled farter than I expected....it jsut kept going....slow but kept going. that doens't mean it won't break though. also even though I did hook up to that sled I am normaly very easy on my equipment.....I don't like stuff to break!!
  11. Donny O.

Donny O. Senior Member

just thought I would post and tell what the guy was paid that did it last year.

$95/hour which seems a tad low compared to what others have said.