1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Thinking of advertising this year

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by fireboy6413, Sep 23, 2009.

1. fireboy6413

fireboy6413 Senior Member

Im thinking of advertising to residential this year, what do you think and when would you start, its still a little warm up here, and Ive never advertised for residential before, ive always got new customers by word of mouth, I think I want more though

2. fortywinks

fortywinks Member
    from NE OH

Target your customers...

I live in a small urban town, about 4 square miles, landlocked on three sides with Lake Erie to the north. Word of mouth is always great, it means you are doing a good job. For me, I choose a street or two and do a mailing of postcards or short letter on company stationary. I can usually pick up a number of customers this way and I keep them in one neighborhood so my travel time is pretty much nil. I'm a one man gang currently and going the phone book route or newspaper route may lead to a job request I can't handle that I would have to turn down so I concentrate my efforts where I feel it leads to the best chance of success and profit.

KB

3. MeeksCo

MeeksCo Senior Member

You shouldnt be thinking about advertising this year, you should already be advertising for this year. I think that answers two questions.

Every year people get older, divorced, move to new area, or get sick of shoveling their driveways. All of those people remember the previous year or past snowstorms.

To get ahead of the competition, start advertising right now. You can search on PS for these similar topics of how others market to residential. Type in residential advertising or marketing.

You have door to door on saturdays, pay some kid to pass out flyers, bulletins at grocery stores/libraries/coffee shops/recreation centers, craigslist, backpage.com, register under google for 'local business directory' so you can be searched for, also do MSN/Bing & Yahoo.

When it gets closer to winter, people will start looking for you compared to you looking for them. At that time, I feel it's appropriate to have about 10-15 vinyl signs made for major intersections and sidestreets or at the end of a developments exit in front of the stop sign. 'Snow Plowing 555-555-5555' Lic & Ins'

4. fireboy6413

fireboy6413 Senior Member

I love the yards sign idea, thats something ive never tried,