1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Thinking of a plow

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by JMHConstruction, Oct 9, 2015.

1. JMHConstruction

JMHConstruction PlowSite.com Addict

Hey guys, sorry in advance for ANOTHER:( question about half ton trucks. I have been doing sidewalks for a while now, and after having 3 guys bail already this may be my last year dealing with trying to keep guys around and happy. With that said, I cannot afford to sit at home while the white stuff falls.

I have a 99 Dodge 1500 with 85,000 miles and in good condition mechanically, so I don't worry about the age. Down falls are (other than a half ton) is its so long, its got extended cab and long box and 5.9 V8 so its already heavy upfront. In the off season I don't haul heavy trailers and have no need for an over priced 3/4-1 ton. I have been doing some research on here and online and am leaning to the snow-way. I know its not a boss or some other favorite brands but I like the down pressure taking off weigh on the truck when in use (or at least I'm that gullible from the sales guy). Another reason is I don't think my truck can handle a V and snow way offers the "R" series that the wings can come up to make a box plow or out for a straight blade and everything in between. My question for you guys is between 2 plows.

The snow way truck match says suggests the 26R. It is a 8' blade with the hydraulic wings fully extended. It weighs 590 lbs. The other plow is their 29R. The blade is 8'10" with wings out and is a few inches taller. It is also a little more heavy duty. It weighs 705 lbs. I feel the 29R is built to handle more, but can my truck handle it? Is the 115 lbs really that big of a difference? Also, I've never really considered a plow for it, should I take it to a shop and have some kind of test done to see if it can handle it?

I know this is a long post, and from being a member here know how many guys ask the same question. I'm sorry if you feel like you're reading about yet another idiot and his half ton. Thanks for your advice and comments.:drinkup:

2. anz27

anz27 Member

Yes it can be done. Understand that you will put more wear and tear on your truck, particularly front end components and transmission. You will probably want to have the truck gone over, and look for any wore out parts. The western HTS isnt a bad option for what you want to do with it. Like any tool, understand its limitations and it will treat you just fine. Just to clarify, you want to plow sidewalks with a truck?

3. JMHConstruction

No, I'm sorry I didn't clarify and made it sound like that. I would be doing lots and getting out of the sidewalks. I would subcontracting from others because I don't have time or the right company to find my own.
    From what I've read on here I understand about more maintenance and problems with the lighter duty truck. I just assumed the cost of average repairs would be made up with from what I gain. I also just had the tranny rebuilt (this model dodge is really know for bad transmissions, even though I believe it has the same trans as the gas 5.9 3/4 tons. There are a few parts I'd want to replace before I did anything, just because of their age.
    What I worry about it weight. Is 705 lbs too much? I want to be able to plow as much as the truck can handle without unneeded stress. I think the front gawr is around 3900 lbs, but I have no idea what the truck weighs by itself.

I'll also add that the 29R plow doesn't come up as recommended, but on their website says it fits from 1500HD to 1 ton trucks. I don't have "HD" but because of my tow package I am pretty much the same as a buddies HD chevy from around the same year. I do only have a 5 lug axle, if that really matters.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
  4. rjigto4oje

rjigto4oje PlowSite.com Addict

A lot of people run the same setup. Heavyer front springs are a must Lt tires and ballast. Make sure the front end is nice and tight. I have a 1500 with a 7.6 and wings on it and have used it for 15 plus years

5. skorum03

skorum03 2000 Club Member

I would just go with the 26R

But before that I would be boss or western, one of their lighter duty models

6. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

The down pressure doesn't necessarily take the weight off the truck; having the plow in float does the same thing. The down pressure really just helps it scrap better, mainly when backdragging. I had s Snoway on a 99 Expedition; don't recall ever having any issues with it. I didn't like the full trip though because it tripped too much in the heavy wet snow.

7. JMHConstruction

What makes boss or western a better product? Just built better? What I like about the snoway is the wings. It's similar to the western wideout except the wings don't retract in.

8. skorum03

skorum03 2000 Club Member

I don't know that the boss or Western plow is necessarily better. The snow way will push snow just like the boss or western wI'll. I've never owned a snow way plow before but I have had both a boss and a western and in my case I have a both a boss and a western dealer much closer than I have a snoway dealer which I think is the most important aspect how close is your dealer and what is the dealer support like?

9. cbservicesllc

cbservicesllc PlowSite Fanatic

It's all about dealer support. If your Snoway goes down, can you get parts in stock and close? Is there another dealer close that stocks parts?

10. Plowin Dodge

Plowin Dodge Member

I plowed with a 94 ram 1500 with a western 7.5 pro on mine. All you need to do is get a set of 3/4 ton springs for the front and put some ballast in the rear. It will be fine for what you want to do. :drinkup:

11. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

I would not spend a lot of money on the best plows made. Beef up the front end a little as stated above. You don't know how subbing is going to work for you or if you will be happy.

I don't think because you had trouble with help is a good enough reason to call it quits on sidewalks if you were happy with the money. By the time you invest in getting that truck ready you could buy a sidewalk machine. You probably would only need one man or handle it yourself.

Best of luck whatever you decide.

12. JMHConstruction

That may not be a bad idea. When I started out I did sidewalks because of the low overhead. Now that I have more money to spend that may be the route to go, plus no wear on the truck. I'll do a little reading on here and see what's good. I've been thinking about a tractor with a broom and blower (and heat!) for a while.

Thanks for everyone's help!

13. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

The broom is ok, You may find yourself turning the pto off and pushing the snow and then going back over it. I never owned one most of the guys swear about the compact JD's they are costly even used they are very popular.

Start looking at municipality actions ebay etc. The school districts and state run colleges have these for bid all the time. I used a toro with cozy cab with that blower made in your city. I just seen a toro with blower 52 inch in nice condition sell for $1900.00. Have shear pins on hand.

If you decide to sell you will have no problems. I sold a trackless I did not like because it was articulated and a toro because I wanted to try a bombi. Sold both within a couple of days on ebay.