1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

thinking about starting a real biz

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by z fisher, Nov 2, 2011.

1. z fisher

z fisher Junior Member

Hello new to the site and after a few weeks of reading post on here I have decided to ask the question. I already have the equipment, gmc 2500 hd with fisher xtreme v,and fisher polycaster. a few snow blowers and of course snow rakes and shovels. I have about 5 years of exp. and have been doing family and friends driveways and lots. I have made honest money off it and I'm not looking to get rich on one job or in one season.I have been talking to a few dr/dentist/and convenient store owners and a few local post offices. My problem is I dont know what to charge. They are not big lots but decent size. I cant see them taking more the 1.5 hours each with plowing shoveling and salting with my helper.I know its late in the season but most of them are just starting to except bids.I have seen posted 125 an hour then adjust price for what it takes to do it.thats cool if there is only 4" but what if theres 12?
    there is also the expense of insurance and salt/calcium chloride. which by the way is it better to use that then salt, salt eats every thing including my truck! will calcium chloride do the same? Thanking all the experts in advanced! :drinkup:
  2. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

You need to know your costs, not ask how much to charge. If you have been plowing friends and family, you should know how much you can plow in an hour. If you think these lots will take 1.5 hours, the all you have to do is take your costs, add a reasonable profit margin to that and mutilply that number by 1.5. That will tell you how much to bid the lots at. If there is 12 inches in the lot, then you haven't done your job as far as keeping the lot open. Bid the lots with the trigger (The ammount of snow the customer wants on the ground before you start to plow) that the customer approves and plow it 6 times if you have a 2 inch trigger. As far as salt vs calcium , it doesn't matter which you put down they all cause rust. You need to wash your truck, including the underside everytime you use it. Spray Fluid Film on it to protect it, and stay up on the maintenance on it. Good Luck