1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Thinking about snow removal

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by CLC03, Jan 24, 2007.

1. CLC03

CLC03 Junior Member

I am currently in the education field and have a lawn business(April-Nov). I enjoy being outdoors, especially in the winter "playing in the snow." Anyway, I am considering the addition of snow removal to my business. I have talked to some in the business who advise me not to remove snow. These are some of their reasons:
    1. Cost of equipment
    2. It's difficult with another full-time job.
    3. Odd work hours.
    4. Difficult to find good help.

Is it possible to start small with a couple snow blowers & shovels?

If I was going to go all out and buy some bigger equipment, what should I get?
    Here are some of my questions?
    Gas or Diesel?
    Chevy, Ford, or Dodge?
    What brand and type of blade?
    What other equipment is necessary?
    ATV w/ blade?
    I know I have asked alot of questions, but I want to be well informed before I make any major decisions. Any advice will be beneficial!
  2. RJ lindblom

RJ lindblom Senior Member

The first 4 seem to be valid points.

Yes you can start with a couple of snowblowers and shovels get started. I suggest single stage or loading and unloading and seems the toro CCRs are powerful enough for must events.

On the equipment yes. That is the simple answer. Seems everyone has an answer.

One more thing to think about with snow removal is it is a gamble. Some years there is plenty of snow others not so much. However some here set up their contracts so they get paid for the season regardless of the winter, that tends to minimize the risk.
  3. Farm Boss

Farm Boss Senior Member

Depending where you live, this could be very good second income. Like anything, the first bit may take a while to have business take off. I started with an old chevy an straight blade, snowblower and a few shovels. Worked my way into new trucks, plows and blowers. One customer will tell another and so on. A place to start could be with your lawn customers. You must already have a truck if you are hauling lawn mowers around so you're part of the way there!