1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

thinking about putting rock salt and liquid one truck

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by alwayz-plowin, Sep 11, 2010.

1. alwayz-plowin

alwayz-plowin Senior Member

Ok so today my boss told me he was thinking about putting liquid (de-icer) and rock salt in the same truck!

(Its a dump so we have the tailgate spreader in the back for the rock salt then liquid in the front then just have a wood divider)

Any ideas on that or suggestions?!?!?!?!!
    (i'll be the one driving that truck While he''s drives a truck with all liquid)
    Has anyone ever done this? any pics ANYTHING lol???

ALSO
    He said one day he was online looking for sprayers
    He saw one that could spray 40' Across in one shot
    but he doesnt remember where he saw it at.....
    Anyone pass by that online??

2. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

Liquid sprayer/ pre-wet at the spinner via small electric pump/ salt spreader......Ithink would be ideal. I have wanted to set one up for a couple seasons now. Only 40'? I have a nozzle on one of my booms that will go 50? Teejet boomless I think Feildjet? http://www.dultmeier.com/catalog/0.811.816 I have also used the Boom Busters

3. csi.northcoast

csi.northcoast Senior Member

i know ohio dept of trans does that, they use triangular tank on each side of their tandem dumps to form a v for the rock salt to get tot the conveyor (if that makes sense.) although i think they only use brine as a pre treatment

4. alwayz-plowin

Thanks i'll look into that!
    Yeah only 40 ft because.....Well i do driveways, small commercial, and Subs And i think a sub street is roughly 40' across

yeah im staying away from those tiny tanks because i have enough space for a 275 (i think thats what they are The tall box-y tanks may be 300 G's)

i would put that in the front then a divider so i could put rock in the back Bc i have a truck craft tailgate spreader......

***Bout to draw a pic on paint

5. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

I did this in an f550, with a 3.5 yard salter and 200-250 Gallon liquid tank. It was WAYYYYY heavy especially with the plow hooked up. Otherwise it was nice to have both options.

6. alwayz-plowin

Yeah well it would be in our isuzu NPR cab over truck... It has a dump body on it too so I don't think it should be too bad!
    the truck is only rear wheel drive so it should help with traction....

But it is gonna be a little heavy but we should be ok!

7. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

I was thinking of a 200 gal tank, approx 2,350 lbs full. Spreader w/ 1 ton salt 8' V Box, approx 2,850 lbs, boom, pumps & misc weight of 250 lbs, on my 1 ton dually? 5,450 pounds on a flatbed? Capable of spraying, center 10', left 30', and right 30'. Pre-wet via small electric pump/spray tips at the spinner. But I doubt I would want to plow fully loaded?

8. alwayz-plowin

Yeah well i spoke to my buddy today
    He said he would put his old set up on it i think ts a boom with like 7 nozzles and a 300 Gallon tank but he said he wouldnt fill it all the way! (what ever that means!) lol
    And hold about one ton of salt

Now he is looking for new sprayers or even used!

I was looking into the turbo (tech) turf x sprayer has a gas motor shoots 40' or more i think has a 500 Gallon tank but its like 11k
    WAY too much i was looking for something like 2-3k

Does anyone know where to get a reasonably priced sprayer set up????
    In Michigan or close because winter is right around the corner