1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Thinking about nxt yr

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DAZ982500, Jan 19, 2008.

1. DAZ982500

DAZ982500 Senior Member

I currently run a 95 Chevy K1500 with 7.5 Standard and SnowEx Swingate salter.I just purchased this plow for the truck this year.Previous plow was a 8.5 Western that was a bit much for the truck.I put Timbrens on the front/back.The work I have this year is, a dentist office,Hair salon,construction office,medical imaging facility,and a science educational center way up in the hills.Then I do 35 driveways on top of this.This takes me about 12 hours to perform with the assitance from a kid.Lesson this year is to much driving,to many places to cover.Anyway I began to think there is a mobile home park near the observatory that I would like ti bid nxt season, along with a few residentials to lower the time out.Baring whether I am the successful bid,the question I have would be, how or can I perfom this work with this set up.I am guestimating that the Trailer park would take on a light snow 3-6" between 2.5-3 hours.I sure have not figured salting prices,this was my first year doing this.The truck is a 1/2 ton runs great but the blade is a Western ultramount with 2 springs.This trailer park is mainly rouads throughtout the homes.I don'nt really want to sell it(I don'nt know if I will get this job or not) but I am looking to do a few small lots rather residential to much driving and to many complaints. With this set up work why/why not anf if not what is the best option.I am not buying a new truck will look for used and sell this if neceassry.The second question would be what to do with a new blade, sell separate sell with the truck+ salter.Have time Dave.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2008
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I'd wait till you actually get the work to justify any changes. I'd think you could do the mobile home park with a 1/2 ton. But, if you decide you'd be more efficient with a bigger truck, it wouldn't take long to get one. You could still do it with the 1/2 ton till you got the other one. The main thing I see is if they wanted sanding/salting, what they'd take may be beyond the capability of the 1/2 ton. If so, you'd still be able to get something by the time you needed it and use what you've got in the meantime.

3. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

I cant see a trailer park wanting to pay for any salting. Not exactly a high dollar neighborhood.