1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

thinking about getting into the biz

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by orange toys, Apr 10, 2009.

1. orange toys

orange toys Member

So i have the 04 2500HD Silverado 6.0L 4.10 gears, but I am completely lost as to how to look for plows, harming the truck, etc. So any help would be great.

2. calhoun

calhoun Senior Member

Does your truck have the plow prep package RPO VYU? Some plow installers will not install if truck is not optioned for a plow.
    Does it have a locking rear end rpo G.
    Is it reg cab?
    All these will determine the weight plow you can use.
    Bigger is not always better. You will need to determine the size you need by what you are plowing.
    Driveways may need a smaller more maneuverable blade that can back drag.
    Parking lots will need the biggest you can handle.
    This site has all the info you will need. Read though the plowing posts. Read all the plow manufactures posts.

3. orange toys

orange toys Member

what are the pro's vs cons on getting into plowing?

4. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Making extra money in winter PRO
    Not making money in Winter CON

5. orange toys

orange toys Member

ok i was thinking of something not so obvious to someone not in the biz.

6. calhoun

calhoun Senior Member

Post this question in the professional plowing section. You will learn all about the bussness. Insurance, contracts, equipment, etc.

7. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

If you are thinking about it. Remember you will need to be avaliable all winter. That is the biggest thing I see your also in the lawn bus. which means for 52 weeks a year your at mother natures becon call. That is why I've cut back on lawn work. Once you have a family you want to plan a vacation & such, and can't. The other commitments & seriousness depend on your client list, If I screw up several thousand people either can't get into work, can't leave there homes, etc. Its a serious responsibility whereas in lawn work, if a lawn gets skiped yeah it looks bad, but people will get through it.

8. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Getting customers is the hardest part and Insurance is a HUGE cost.
    Making money the first year is very hard to do after you buy a plow and get the insurance.

9. fordzilla1155

fordzilla1155 Senior Member

add the cost of a new bumper, brake trans, and fuel lines, u joints ect that will corrode or wear out.