1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Thinking about geting a new truck

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Fiafighterdude, Jan 20, 2008.

1. Fiafighterdude

Fiafighterdude Senior Member
    from ME

i need help desiding what brand and model of truck i should get any one have any ideas

2. highlander316

highlander316 Senior Member

IMO, whoever gives you the best deal and service. They are all the same, as long as they push a plow and pull a trailer, there is no difference. You'll get the diehards here saying this and that, but this is my opinion. If you want to pay more for a certain name brand, then go for it. I bought a GMC this time (from having 3 previous F250's) cuz they gave the best deal.

3. willofalltrades

willofalltrades Member

This is a ford Fan agreeing with this post lol..... a little to much to :drinkup: is what it is lol

4. PORTER 05

PORTER 05 Senior Member

ive owned GMC, CHEVY , and FORD, and have worked them all commercialy

i would say the ford f-350 with the 7.3 L PSD is a pretty powerful truck, but has been in the shop proubly over 12 times in the past 3 years and is very exspensive to fix

the chevy and gmcs are pritty tough but not as strong, also ive never owned any in diesel thouhg, but when they do break and they also break but not as much as the ford, there not nearly as expesnive to repair...

but if money wasnt an issue , id proubly have nothing other than ford f-550 dumps, and f-350 pick-ups both in diesel, but that if far to exspensive for my buget and uneeded for my company.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2008
  5. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

If you're going to plow with it I would suggest a 3/4 ton, regular cab with a 8' bed.

6. Fiafighterdude

from ME

yeah i was thinking some thing along those lines

7. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

I owned a chevy 3500 dually crew cab diesel. and i had a 1996 gmc 1500 sle ext cab with a 7 1/2 mm1. I bought this 2003 ford f-250 ext cab leather,cd 8 mm2 with 120kmi on it for $8,400. I had to put $500 into the 4/wd and $1000 into the head gaskets and some other work on the heads. I love the truck. Wish it had some more get up and go. But i will take care of that this spring. I like gmc and ford the most. I know someone who just bought an 08 tundra crew cab and he loves it so.

8. BenW455

BenW455 Junior Member
    from WV

I would get something with a stright front axle. Ford or dodge 3/4 ton.

9. Misch-Rman

Misch-Rman Member

i have had all of them, i would get the one with the best warranty because whatever you buy will breakdown eventually. they just don't make them like they use to!!!:drinkup:

10. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

what are you using it for?? if it's for a sidewalk crew i would get a chevy 2x4 1500 with an 8 foot pickup bed and get a set of chains just in case. if your plowing drives i would get a chevy 2500 4x4 gas with very short flat bed and extra heavy rear bumper..... and if your going commercial i would go with the ford f550 diesel, 4x4,9 foot flat bed with extra extra heavy rear bumper, dual alts.....if your going for the street catagory i would pick a ford f 800 single rear, short wheel base

11. Fiafighterdude

from ME

i want a truck that has 4x4 and i want to put a fisher Xtreme V and a fisher poly-caster i like chevys and gmc's but i like the looks of the ford so im not shur any way thanks for helpingme try to deside butim still not shur whatiwant yet

12. Fiafighterdude

from ME

here the 3 that i like

07G44AW.jpg

908856.jpg

T8004A_JPG.jpg

13. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I say the dmax powered gmc. :nod:

14. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

Gmc or chevy. Either one is fine. Its just personal preference really. How I determined gmc over chevy is 3 reasons. 1. I like the local GMC dealer better than the local chevrolet dealer. 2. I like the GMC front end better than the chevy 3. Really doesn't matter and I'm splitting hairs here, but I like the gmc tail lights better than the chevy.

Just as long as its not ford. You'll find reasons not to buy every kind of truck on this forum. And you'll find reasons to buy every kind of truck. Just fuiger out what dealer is best, what deal is best, and what truck you like the best. I, personally, bleed general motors orange. Even though the motors aren't orange anymore. But yanno just a fuiger of speech :)

15. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I'm with you. Get a gm truck. Those dmax's are quick in stock form.

Now after I said that I have my eye on a 12v cummins. My 98 is starting to become to big of a money pit :mad:

Its a toss up though, older cummins or save for a dmax. I got to drive an 07 classic cc/lb for a day and man it rode so nice and had plenty of power. To bad I felt like a bus driver when turning.

16. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

The GMC with the Dmax. you wont regret it....unless the price of diesel keeps going up.

17. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

put it in polls and let the member of plowsite vote and decide for you. start with make. model, engine, etc. etc. we can all build it;)
    dont forget to post a approx budget though. no point in having all of the members build it if you dont buy it and show us pics!!!

18. Fiafighterdude

from ME

i thinkim gonna go with the gmc

19. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

do you really NEED the diesel?...fuel isn't cheap now and the "better" fuel economy of a diesel truck isn't making up for the cost of fuel with todays prices.

20. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

I agree diesel is 3.74 a gallon here and it is just gonna keep going up and up.