1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Thinking about following the change oil reminder

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Plowtoy, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

I have recently changed to a full synthetic oil in my Yukon and my wife's 02 Impala. We were going around 5k miles in between oil changes, but she drives a lot (6k in 3 months).
    I read the owners manual in my Yukon and the Impala, and they both said the same thing: Change the oil with in 2 refuelings from when the reminder light comes on, or 1 year, what ever comes first. I am an ASE mechanic by day and I'm just up in the air with this. I'm not big on synthetic oil, but that is the only way I would be comfortable going that long between oil changes. I was always taught to do it 3 months or 3k miles, but GM says its o.k. to follow the light. WHAT ARE YOUR OPINIONS?? THANKS

2. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

THOUGHTS, ANYONE???:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

3. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

First off--A man should never listen to his DIC!!!!!! Dead serious.I haven't seen one DIC yet that is anywhere near accurate.A few times I was getting 96-99 MPG on my Dmax.How's that for wishful thinking.I think sometimes I'm the only one left on the planet who actually writes dates,mileage,and PM where GM[and others I would surmise] has it all ready for you in the maintenance section of your owner's manual.Do the math,so simple a caveman can do it and it's 100% accurate.Computer free,there's a new concept.Having said that,I use that mileage with the info I get back from Schaeffer Oil's lab to usually tell me I'm still good at 7K mile changeouts using their 15/40 7000 series oil.Cat and Blackstone also offer oil analysis.Very cheap insurance at $6-$7 per test.It will also tell you any metal,fuel,or coolant contamination,soot levels,etc,etc.

4. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

Well, DIC started barking at me on my truck almost around the time I was at 3k for an oil change when I first bought it. I reset it, and 12,000 miles and 4 oil changes later it just started barking at me again the other day.....Glad I didn't wait for that!

I work part-time in an auto parts store and I've heard all the lectures and read all the studies about synthetic oil vs conventional and all that and I don't really buy a lot of it. In the high-performance world, yes I do see it having a significant purpose, but as far as a car you're just driving everyday, I think all it does is give lazy people an excuse to wait longer to change their oil. I've been using plain old conventional oil for a long time, change it ever 2500-3000 miles and it always comes out looking almost as clean as when I put it in. I think using a good, high quality filter is just as if not more important as the oil you put in.

5. RepoMan1968

RepoMan1968 Senior Member

try an oil by-pass kit . supposed to get a few thousand more miles out of the synthetic

6. Jacobsmovinsnow

Jacobsmovinsnow Senior Member

It is not uncommon these days for trucking companys to take a oil sample have it tested and if it tests OK they just change the oil filters when it comes in for service.

7. Boomer123

Boomer123 Senior Member

Been running synthetic for the last 13 yrs. I change the oil around 6,000 once closer to 6,800. Changing before that just puts more money in the oil companies pockets. .02

8. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

If I were to follow the DIC, maybe having the oil tested around 5-6k if the light hasn't already come on for a change. If it tests o.k., change the filter, top off, and do a complete change when the light does come on, what do you think??
    Who tests oil? and how much is the cost?, and how much needs to be sent in?

9. tuney443

Asked and answered already but again IMHO don't go by your DIC.It works on algorithms --NOT some kind of ''dirt/water/contamination'' probe/ principle if that's what you might be thinking.Get an SOS [Scheduled oil sampling] from Schaeffer,your local Cat dealer,or Blackstone labs,the cost for the test is app. $6-$7,they will send you a small bottle for you to place your sample in.Mail it back,in a few days you will get your results and their advice for recommended changeout intervals.Once they have your second sample [after you run another cycle],that will be the baseline so they can really see what's going on in your engine/tranny,axle,cooling system, or wherever else.

10. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Sorry, I guess I didn't read the post closely enough. I'll check into it. Thanks for the advice. I'm leaning towards just going by mileage and using conventional oil like I have always done. I guess I shouldn't be such a tight wad. I guess in the end, oil changes are probably cheaper than an engine :nod:

11. tuney443

Exactly,and you would be amazed at what savings a SOS program can do for you.Most people are just indoctrinated with the quick stop belief of 3K mile change outs or else.Today's oils are NOT yesterdays by far and with good advice from a SOS,you can double or triple your intervals depending on your using a good quality oil and type[dino or synthetic].

12. hkeyes50

hkeyes50 Junior Member

I follow the DIC

I have a 2003 yukon XL with 194,000 miles and change the oil and filters every 8000-9000 miles. No problems so far. I trailer a lot with a 27 ft featherlite. I have been as much as a half quart low at the end of the oil cycle.

13. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

Back when I used to use Blackstone Labs, they charged around $20 for a oil analysis test. Have they really dropped down to 6 or 7 dollars? My 2004 Monte Carlo SS supercharged has the oil change light. It actually shows a %. The last time I chaged my oil at 5,000 miles, I still had around 65% oil life left.

Supposedly a lot of people use it without ill effects.

Wayne

14. tuney443

Both Cat and Schaeffer charge me $6-$7.I would think Blackstone would also but not sure.As for percentages from your DIC,you do realize the computer is just spitting out numbers based on algorithms.You could have had dumped a quart of antifreeze into your crankcase and you still would have had a 65% reading.

15. Cosmic Charlie

Cosmic Charlie Senior Member

<SNIP>

IMHO

the DIC oil life indicator, if used ,

you will end up with SLUDGE throughout your engine when your open it up with 120,000 miles or more...as other have complained about in the past ... 10,000 - 12,000 miles on dino oil is way too many miles ...

so I've heard

16. chuckraduenz

chuckraduenz Senior Member

i always did 3k and filter an always will.

17. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Well, The oil change reminder came on yesterday on the way home from church in my wife's Impala. I don't remember the last time it was reset but it has been over 6k since the last oil change. I hate to say it, but I changed the oil (with full synthetic 15W50) and reset the oil change reminder. I did install a window sticker with yesterdays date and mileage, I think I'm going to see how far it will go before the light comes back on. I think if I approach 10k (should be about 5-6 months) and the light hasn't come on, I will change the oil anyway. I will keep a close eye on the level (as I check it often anyway). Maybe this is my sign I should be looking for a new car (its got 176k miles on it anyway), but I gotta feeling this may work out. Only time will tell, I'll keep you guys posted

18. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

How many did loose an engine due to "bad oil" or not doing oil changes frequently enough!
    Some European car makers go 10,000-15,000 miles without oil changes.....3000 miles is a waste of oil in my opinion.

19. tuney443

Depends entirely on quality of oil and how the engine is treated, that is why the ONLY true way of knowing for sure when to changeout is with SOS.That is fact.

20. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

Yes, I do know how the oil change monitor works on GM vehicles as I have read the technical information put out by GM on it.

I don't currently use the oil change monitor to change oil in this vehicle. I usually go every 5,000 miles with a conventional oil. I'm not a fan of extended oil changes or synthetic oil.

That being said, I have never heard of an engine failure from anyone that has followed the oil change monitor. I've thought about using it on this car just to see how many miles I go before it says to change it but it is hard for me to leave oil in that long. It took me a while to go to 5,000 mile changes on some of my vehicles because I was so used to doing the 3,000 mile change thing.

To the OP, I doubt you will hurt your engine by following the oil change monitor. This system has been in use for years now and you don't hear of catastrophic failures. Many other car manufacturers are starting to use it. Plus, most people won't even own their vehicle long enough to experience any ill effects of using this system.

Wayne