1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

thinking about doing a backdrag blade???

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by trqjnky, Dec 11, 2009.

1. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

i do a LOT of driveways. and was thinking about putting a backdrag blade on my plow. do they work decent? i have a lot of driveways that are at quite an incline, will it handle them?

any tips on doing driveways? im pretty efficiant for my first year, but always looking for new hints and tricks.
  2. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

get a rear plow , fast better job
  3. ScnicExcellence

ScnicExcellence Senior Member

get a hiniker c plow they are both in one.
  4. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

5. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

no experieance myself, but i have seen a few videos, and stuff that they left behind , i know my rear plow with down pressure would peal up

are you plowing forward towards the garage door, then raising the plow and pulling it back? or are you jsut pulling up to the door , dropping the blade and pulling it out?
  6. Tosa93F250

Tosa93F250 Member

If you really are that set on a backdrag edge why not just buy the one made by western?

Western Blades

I called my local dealer and they are 70 bucks a piece for a 7'6 Pro Plow. That edge you links costs about 2.5x more than the western one.

I'm sure other mfrs make back drag edges too.
  7. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

OMG.....do a hinged back drag for around 250.00 and your set....

search on here there are PLEANTY of threads with pics....

any bolt on non hinged one is crap and will not work......
  8. Dondo

Dondo Senior Member

I have heard mixed things on the Western Back Edge Blade. I too am thinking of adding one on my plow as I have picked up a few more driveways this season. I have also heard that it must be put on the plow paired up with a new cutting blade and can't be added alone. Has anyone heard of that too?

9. Dondo

Dondo Senior Member

I just ordered one from my local Western Dealer. They are out of stock but I should have it in about 2 weeks. They said that it does not need to go one with a new cutting blade, but it can't go one with a worn one either... He said as long as my current cutting edge has never been flipped to the unused side I can flip it and install the Back Drag Blade. I will let you know how it does on the driveways when I get a chance to puit it on and try it.
  10. T-O/Slim

T-O/Slim Junior Member

K maybe I'm doin somthing different but why would anyone flip the cutting edge? This seems like a waste of time, and would also wear the blade faster? Dont mean to steal the thread but I just dont unerstand why anyone would want to spend all that time Breaking the hardwear off cuz its allways sezed on up hier, and replacing it, just to wear the cutting edge faster?

It cant be because you get a cleaner scrape or you would need to flip the edge after every storm?
  11. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

if you flip it it is just like having a brand new edge. Can't be done on all of them though, The holes on my new one aren't in the middle, they are close to the top, so if i flipped it the edge wouldn't touch the ground.
  12. Clevername

Clevername Member
    from Indiana

I'm guessing it has to be installed with a "new" cutting edge so that the two cutting planes (edges) line up the same. If you were to install a new back drag blade on a plow with a worn cutting edge - I would assume that the back drag blade would then be beat to hell while plowing forward because the cutting edge on the plow is uneven......

In short it would make sense to me that you would want them to "wear" on the same "schedule".....

Then again - I don't know a whole lot about plowing as I am a newbie.....
  13. ScnicExcellence

ScnicExcellence Senior Member

My plow is pretty much like that, when i bought it last year the previous owner had made up the exact same thing. it works great for me.
  14. ppandr

ppandr Senior Member

Wander over to the Jeep forum and search. Plowmeister fabbed one up for his blades... Pics and all to illustrate...
  15. hedhunter9

hedhunter9 Senior Member

I built my own hinged one for about $30. Its hinged so lifts up going forward.
    Only works when you drop the blade and go backwards.

Would never plow driveways again without it... It really cleans down to the
    pavement easily and faster.

heres a link to the picture

16. jblatti13

jblatti13 Senior Member

ive never tried a hinged edge but i added a backdrag edge last year on my western. and yes you will have to have a new front edge, unless you can flip yours, i couldnt. i didnt find that out until i installed the back edge and realized with the plow down the front edge was 3" off the pavement. much easier to get new edges, bolt em on together, and line them up the same. 175 for two brand new edges and adding that back edge is well worth it.
  17. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

I have a hinged backdrag on my blizzard 810. On all of my past plows I had hinged backdrags as well. I do very few driveways and don't need to backdrag all that much, but it's well worth it in the situations where i need it.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a rear plow because A) I don't have enough work to justify it B) It adds that much length to my already long truck C)One more thing to maintain and D) Initial investment is enormous compared to a simple hinged drag. That said, it certainly may be worth it for certain operations.

Speaking of backdrags, mine is ready for a new edge!