1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Thinking About Buying A Blizzard

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by slade, Oct 22, 2007.

1. slade

slade Senior Member

I have 94 3500hd 15,000lb gvw. A 10 snoway salter on the back for weight and a detroit locker in the rear end. The 3500hd was only made in 2wd. It has brand new aggressive tires all the way around. I do commercial lots. Usually between 2" - 6" of snow. Lots take anywhere from 10 min. to 1 hour with my old setup- a 88 chevy 3500 4x4 10' western straight blade. I was thinking about the 810 or even possibly the 8611lp. Is the blizzard all its hyped up to be? Do any of you guys that have blizzards reget buying them? Do you think I would save any time going from a 10' western to a 810? Does the new blizzard have any problem areas that I should be aware of? I just dont want to drop $6,000 on a blizzard and later have any regrets about it. Thanks for all your input.

2. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Can't think of anything I'd rather have for doing commercial lots. Get the 8611, you will love it! $6000 seems a little high. I can get an 810 here for around $4500. Never priced an 8611, though. 2wd will be fine in a parking lot, I hardly ever touch 4wd, mines dual wheels with a locker. Only problems I've had with mine is 1 wing hose blew last year so I replaced both on that side, and when I got it there was a broken wire behind the connect/disconnect switch. Minor problems in my opinion, especially considering I bought it used and it's going on 9 years old.

3. slade

slade Senior Member

Is that $4500 cash and carry or installed?

4. Detroitdan

Hang on, I'll have to find my book.

Ad I have says $4695 installed for the 810. 8611lp is $4995 installed, regular 8611 is $5395 installed. Ad says prices good through 10/31/07. This place always has the best Blizzard prices. I'm actually thinking about buying a new one there for my Jeep. I wanted to try to find something used for cheap money, but when everything used is over two grand, it makes sense to spend $2995 installed for either a 680,720 or 760. (I'm waiting for a callback for a cash and carry price on a 720.)

Last edited: Oct 22, 2007
  5. newlooklandscp

newlooklandscp Senior Member
    from Midwest

Actually go with the 8611LP, less weight and should be around 5500, 5600 installed. Get plows I have 2 810's and once you work out the kinks your all good.

6. slade

slade Senior Member

Detroitdan, could you get me the phone # of the blizzard dealer that you got the prices from? I might be money ahead to be have one shipped to my door and install it myself.

7. Detroitdan

1-603-957-3222
    email is plows@portford.com
    Portsmouth Ford is a huge Ford dealer that sells Blizzard and Fisher, best prices I've found.

8. slade

slade Senior Member

Thanks, I'll give them a call tomorrow.

9. purpleranger519

purpleranger519 Senior Member
    from Kansas

Slade, your in KC I see. I live in Topeka and I make the trip to Olathe to see my Blizzard dealer @ Smitty's. I promise you there is not another dealer anywhere close that can match the customer service you will recieve there. Tom is the store manager and he knows his stuff, ask for him. Tell him Brian from Topeka told you to come see him. You go there you'll go nowhere else.

10. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

You won't regret it.

11. jhook

jhook Senior Member

I have 3 of them. Been running them for a few years. Bought 2 last year from Portsmouth Ford for an awesome price. It was about a 12 hour drive each way from where I am in Northern Ontario but well worth it (you don't want to know what they are trying to charge us up here).

I have had no trouble with any of my 810's and we run them pretty hard. :gunsfiring: