1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Thinking about an upgrade....need some info

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Grn_Mtn_Boy, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Grn_Mtn_Boy

Grn_Mtn_Boy Junior Member

Hello everyone,
    I'm currently running a 2005 1/2 chevy with a 7.5' trip edge boss.It's always handled it fine. GM offered me a top off on my credit card points so I was thinking about trading for a new 2011 1/2 ton but I've been told the new truck won't support the weight. The dealer installs Fishers and they put on the HT model which is half a plow in my opinion. Has anyone put a 7.5' trip edge on a 2011 1/2 Chevy?
    If I can't put my plow on a 1/2 ton, I'm probably going to go with the 2500HD. If I do that, I'll be tempted to upgrade my plow to a 8.2 V. I'm sold on Boss but I've never used a V plow. Do they operate like the Fisher where you can hit one button to go to V or scoop? Or is each wing controlled individually? If so, is this a big deal when your plowing for 8 hours at a time?

2. Yooper75

Yooper75 Senior Member

If you get the joystick control it will operate like that. If you push it forward it goes into scoop, pull back and it goes in to the V and left and right operate the same way. The only thing that takes a little getting used to is the up/down switch on the joystick.

3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

the new handheld controller is GREAT
    one touch for scoop,left,right and up/down

4. JimRoss

JimRoss Member

You can order a plow package on the 2011 half tons Chevy.
    I have a new Boss 7.5 std poly on my 09 1500. I'm 130# over my GFAW.

5. old skool

old skool Senior Member
    from NW IL

Get the 8.2 V and handheld control. I hated the control at first, then I started to hang it on the end of the shift lever.
    [​IMG]

You can shift the truck and run the plow with one hand. (btw, the controls are VERY EASY to use.)

[​IMG]

I have plowed for over 30 years. This is by far the easiest (and fastest) setup I have ever used!

6. Grn_Mtn_Boy

Grn_Mtn_Boy Junior Member

Thanks for the pics! I have that type of control for my Boss straight blade. It took me a while to get accustom to it as well. Before that I was using the mini joysticks Fisher has. I plowed with my Father for years with Fishers. Now I moved on to Boss and he's using Blizzards ( models purchased before Fisher acquired them).