1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Thinking about an 8611ss

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by muff, Jan 2, 2014.

1. muff

muff Junior Member

Please tell me if any of you running theses like them and would buy another. I appreciate any and all feedback
  2. BladeBlowBucket

BladeBlowBucket Member

"In A Heart Beat" …… Best Blade i've ever owned …. Very strong built to take ALL the abuse a large frame skid can throw at it.

Like anything there are glitch's attached, I will make a few mod's to suit my needs …. once I come up with a viable solution i'll share.

One thing I can tell you, depending on what your needs are is CHAINS on all 4 wheels, the best studded bi-directional Tryggs money can buy !!! … I had 8mm V-Bars and they wouldn't hook-up …. last season I bought 9mm H-Pattern Studded Tryggs and Now you can load 'er up full and push for what its worth.

If you want a comparison …. I did a parking lot on Monday at a Hockey arena …the guy that usually plows it has an 8'-6 Western V-plow on a 1-ton truck (he blew up his transfer case, so I got called in) …. takes him an average of 4-5 hrs to do the lot, I did it in 2 hrs with 8-10" on the ground … even tho the pick-up can travel faster than my Skid, I could move way more volume with less spill over and stack the snow leaving more available parking areas.
    I am waiting to hear feedback from the Manager. I might wind up with another contract, as it is a more cost effective $$$ method of clearing.

Feel free to ask question about your concerns ……. Cheers … GK
  3. A Man

A Man Senior Member

We still have one, when we first got it we thought it was great but that was 10 years ago. Now there are much better options, we really like Machinability wing plows, 8'-13' on our T650 and a 10-16 on our S850. They are built much heavier, cylinders are much stronger and far more productive. Would never buy another 8611ss. I don't think the pricing is to much different either. http://www.machinability.com/
  4. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

They worked get for me, you will be very happy running a 8611ss. I did until I bought a Kage, no looking back now!
  5. rob1325

rob1325 Senior Member

I have one and it is very productive. Only things I don't like about it is no oscillation (11ft blade needs this), the way the wing hoses are routed (they rub bad), last which I prefer the skid mount plate to be raked forward not straight like buckets. Other than what I mentioned I love it for my condos.
  6. BladeBlowBucket

BladeBlowBucket Member

These things that you pointed out are EXACTLY the glitch's I was referring to …. especially the oscillation part, this is what I am going to re-design on my plow.

I'm thinking the most logical location will be at the mounting plate ….. the point you mentioned about the plate being vertical took a little bit to get used to but was not the end of the world ……

When a guy listens to the advertising video's … where they talk about job times being cut in half (50% less) …. "Well They Weren't Kidding" ….. I figure on the average it's more like, it takes about 60% off of individual jobs, or a job that took an hour to do now only takes 20 mins ….. either way a guy looks at it the blade has a broader range of versatility over the competition …. JHMO ! ...
  7. rob1325

rob1325 Senior Member

I was thinking about making my own mount and A frame. If I had to do it again I would just buy plow with angle pistons.
  8. fireside

fireside Senior Member

I run a 810 ss for the past 7 years. I do agree about the mount plate needing to be tipped forward. It would make taking the plow off and on easier. Not to mention no skinned fingers locking it on. I have had zero problems with mine.
  9. muff

muff Junior Member

Right now I'm running a heavy duty bobcat blade with the wing kit. Just tired of manually having to fold wings in and out, as well as bending wings and wing kit parts.......

Doesn't sound like the 8611 is flawless, but it is at least a contender. I will also look at a kage and a Horst 3200 I guess.

Thank you for all of the great feedback. Keep it coming. Much appreciated.
  10. muff

muff Junior Member

A Man,

Do you run the power side wings on your skidders, or the power v's?
  11. BladeBlowBucket

BladeBlowBucket Member

That was the exact same last blade I had (got it at same time when I got the New A-300) ….. I know your frustration all too well ….. at first I had thought it was the sweetest thing, with wings until things started to bend and break all to heck …. that Bcat blade was supposed to be the perfect match …..Little did I know how bad a mistake it was …… I gave the blade to my buddy who has an 1845c, works awesome for him (perfect match blade to machine size)

What machine are you planning to mount the New unit (which ever you choose) on to ??? …...:drinkup: