1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Thinking about a plow.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Dodge318, Dec 20, 2008.

1. Dodge318

Dodge318 Junior Member

Hello all.

I'm a long time lurker, but a first time poster. I been in snow removal for years. I am currently pretty much using my ATV (Kawasaki Brute Force) and snowblowers for my business. I am in Minneapolis and I have 45 accounts all small driveways and sidewalks. For the first time I'm looking a getting a plow for my Dodge Ram (99 QC 2500 4x4). I'm thinking about a fisher. The ATV has been great but I tired of freezing my arse off on it. I always get people asking me to plow for them, But with the ATV I just can't add anymore.

The big question is, How much is a plow going to help in my situation where most of my driveways are 20' long and two cars wide? Would i be able to add say another 20 accounts and do it in the same amount of time?

Any opinions would be great.
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I would say "yes" if you're already getting inquiries. Think of what you'll get if you try by advertising. Get an 8' or even a V-plow. Consider if a rear plow is warranted. Do (or will) you be doing a lot of backblading now? A backplow would save a lot of time in not having to turn around...

First look at what there is for potential accounts in your market area and what you market share would be. A plow for that 2500 will be around $5000. Then allow for annual repairs (even if you think it is the best truck there ever was). Now it's just a matter of figuring how much you can expect to make a winter and how long will it take to pay off that investment.

(HINT - Allow at least $1,000 for repairs/maintenance per year - more if it needs tires already)
  3. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Senior Member

If you're driving to all your sites with an atv, a 44hp tractor w/backwards blower would be ideal. Will last you 15yrs+.
    You would then be able to service between 100-150 resi's if they are in a tight postage stamp size area, tiny like 10 streets.
    Its what I'd do if I was starting out now and knew what I know now.
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2008